Writing Prompt MC discovers they can cook rice (dishes) perfectly. But that is a bit one-sided. Goes on a journey to find people with similar cooking talents...

Fainswift

MC discovers they can cook rice (dishes) perfectly. (Replace "rice" with your favorite foodstuff, as long as it is a "base" food, like bread, jam, pasta, etc).

But only being able to cook one type of (basic) food is a bit one-sided and even boring.

So the curious and intrepid MC goes on a journey to find people with similar cooking talents to join MC in their travelling Food Caravan.

Story resolves around:
  • people that can cook only 1 think - but perfectly!
  • interaction of MC with these sometimes crazy, sometimes shy, sometime loud single-talented people
  • recipes
  • cooking tips and methods
  • exotic and comfort foods / drink / deserts / snacks
  • the trials and tribulations of getting ingredients
  • the search for that holy grail "perfect condiment"
  • solving food growing issues (drought, crop-rotation, war, demon/monster invasions/floods, etc)
  • if fantasy, magic is abundant, but MC would just have magic to cook rice (be inventive, find ways to "misuse" this limited magic!)

Add in other genres as you want (isekai, slice-of-life, etc...)

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
Remembers that one Chinese idiom about "cooking rice"

Smuthub, I know what we're gonna do today

Edit: On a serious note, this reminds me of a Library of Ruina fanfic I'm planning on about an owner of a noodle store looking for the "one true recipe"

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
Smuthub

Well what if he made steak rice, would the steak be perfect since it’s part of the dish

Fainswift

Well, I leave th
Smuthub

Well what if he made steak rice, would the steak be perfect since it’s part of the dish

A) Lol

B) Well, I leave that open - the more narrow the skill is - ie can only cook rice (just maybe we'll allow risotto), with no added basic ingredients (steak is a "base" in this case - but spices and salt are fair game), the more challenging it is to write about. But also the more literary "wins" are possible.

I forget who said it, but "The more constraints you have, the more creative you have to be - if all you have left in the pantry is a box of stale crackers, 1 egg, an almost off cup of milk, a few teaspoons of BBQ spices, 3 slices of processed cheese, 1 bunch of old carrots, and a limp cabbage, with enough creativity, you might still make a half way decent casserole..."

GodlessEmperor

Emperor of trash writing

GodlessEmperor

Emperor of trash writing
Light Novel Title: "Unlimited Rice Cake Works! Becoming the Best Street Vendor in Another World!"
I am the cook of my rice
Grain is my body and starch is my blood
I have created over a thousand dishes
Unknown to hunger
Nor known to satiety
Have withstood famine to create many bowls
Yet those hands shall never feed anything
So, as I pray, Unlimited Rice Works!

Mr.Grey-Cat

MC discovers they can cook rice (dishes) perfectly. (Replace "rice" with your favorite foodstuff, as long as it is a "base" food, like bread, jam, pasta, etc).

But only being able to cook one type of (basic) food is a bit one-sided and even boring.

So the curious and intrepid MC goes on a journey to find people with similar cooking talents to join MC in their travelling Food Caravan.

Story resolves around:
  • interaction of MC with these sometimes crazy, sometimes shy, sometime loud single-talented people
  • recipes
  • solving food growing issues (drought, crop-rotation, war, demon/monster invasions/floods, etc)
  • if fantasy, magic is abundant, but MC would just have magic to cook rice (be inventive, find ways to "misuse" this limited magic!)

You know, when reading what you said, I can only imagine you trying to write Frieren, but making most mages go megumin-style and learning only one spell, and then instead of making the story about a journey for collecting grimoires, you will write a journey about collecting recipes?

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
You know, when reading what you said, I can only imagine you trying to write Frieren, but making most mages go megumin-style and learning only one spell, and then instead of making the story about a journey for collecting grimoires, you will write a journey about collecting recipes?
Oh, I almost forgot about that manga. I remember it was dope. Thanks for reminding me.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

Story resolves around:
  • recipes

Theres plenty of dishes that can be made in a variety of different ways and if you master cooking that one dish then you had already mastered all its variations. So imma open a gumbo restaurant. Or potato. Or shrimp

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
Now the question is can he create stuff out of rice. By infusing rice with poison then making it then shaping it into a throwable rice ball. Or make aggro rice (Rice that will attract monsters/people alike), or rice armor.

or just throwing hot rice because freshly made rice is hot and burns

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
If I can cook anything with rice perfectly, does it count if I use rice flour or add rice wine to something? I mean, if rice is all it takes, the possibilities are truly endless! Rice noodles, rice pudding, rice cream . . . what if you just top a dish with rice for garnish, and then you can make anything you want!
And that's how she got 500 husbands.
Oh my! Put that in my mouf

Fainswift

Now the question is can he create stuff out of rice. By infusing rice with poison then making it then shaping it into a throwable rice ball. Or make aggro rice (Rice that will attract monsters/people alike), or rice armor.

or just throwing hot rice because freshly made rice is hot and burns
That’s what I’m talking about!

Rice Shuriken!

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Can I go with bread instead of rice? I just happen to have a nice little recipe that can bread as hard as steel. A baguette blade or bread crust cannon would turn into lethal weapons with this

Fainswift

Can I go with bread instead of rice? I just happen to have a nice little recipe that can bread as hard as steel. A baguette blade or bread crust cannon would turn into lethal weapons with this

"Combat bread!" Reminds me of Discworld, hehe.

A ficelle is a very skinny baquette so would make an excellent sabre, I'm sure.

1638093982954.jpeg

doravg

104/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
Ok, I think I can do it in a fantasy world. Maybe the different foods could have different healing properties? Like the MC's rice can be a stamina restoring food, since rice is a good fuel source? The MC can work for the Adventurer's Guild and make rice meals for the adventurers, so they can have stamina restoration food for between fighting.

And, the Guild Housemaster could send the MC on a journey to find someone who can cook mana restoration food? So, they can work together? And then, along the way, they hear about a legend about a chef that can make HP restoration food and other chefs that can make food that cures illnesses? All magical, of course.

And they will go to find them all, forgetting about the Adventurer's Guild and wanting to create a new Guild. The Chef's Guild, where they could all be a one-trick pony and sell their food worldwide. They will need an ice mage, too, to preserve the food. But those are rare. Only one in every million can be an ice mage.

Finally, after they find the ice mage, he or she (haven't decided yet, but I lean towards she) will not be interested. But the ice mage will challenge the Chefs to cure something that they can't. And they will need to band together to make the perfect meal, a blend of all the foods.

The MC could be a kind old granny, and she could already have a husband, who died, and grandchildren. So, no romance. Or it could be a kind old grandpa whose wife died, and he has grandchildren. I think I will throw a coin on that one. This won't be isekai or smutty. It won't have gore. Just a cleaver elderly person who wants to leave something behind when they die.

Yes. I finished writing a book today, so, I can start writing a story about this prompt tomorrow.
I think I will name it (Throws coin....granny) Granny Annie And The Rice Quest.
I will post a link here when I get the first chapter up. I hope you read it, and it lives up to your expectations.
Here is the cover:
grandmother-housewife-stock-vector-cartoon-illustration-full-length-50484658.jpg

The map- Cozasca.
The map is really neat because it barely has ice. So, it would make sense that there are almost no ice mages. Well, I'll be throwing dice to see which is going to be the starting country and using a generator to see what character names I can come up with. Man, I am hyped up! Might write the first chapter today!

Last edited:

doravg

104/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
The first chapter is up. You might need to wait some time until it shows.