Metric system or Imperial?

Poleg

Okay, so I was wondering about the units of measurement I should use in a fantasy novel. I am American, and we use the inefficient imperial system. Most of the world uses Metric. I could say that 'the orc was 6 ft tall' or I could write that 'the orc was almost 2 meters'. Does metric system make sense in a fantasy world?
This site is pretty multi-national, so I imagine a lot of readers dont know imperial units of measurement as well as metric. Would they have to stop to look it up if i said the distance of the street was 300 yards? Conversely, my fellow americans would probably have to look it up if I wrote 'the object weighs 45 kilos'.

Can this break immersion? Or is this just a minor thing i'm overthinking?
"Goblin weights at most 1/2 of a washing Machine.".
Don't you see how silly the imperial system is?

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
"Goblin weights at most 1/2 of a washing Machine.".
Don't you see how silly the imperial system is?
Okay, if you actually want to debate this, then lets debate this.

The Metric system was created to create a uniform system that was based on 'universal' measurements, that were just as arbitrary in the end as imperial units, because a meter isn't actually a meter, because they measured the earth wrong. However, that doesn't matter because everyone agrees what a meter is. If we were ACTUALLY going to make a universal system, then we should have started with the Planck Length, not something as silly as the circumference of the Earth.

How about celsius? Why is absolute zero -273.15ºC? The Kelvin Scale would have been better way to go.

The only advantage of Metric over imperial is that it's based on factors of 10, however, from a WRITERS perspective, this SUCKS.

Why? Simple. IT'S BORING.

When you write, a sign of a good story is avoiding using the same word more than once. The less times you have to use a word in a paragraph, a chapter, or even a book, the better. Synonyms are the life blood of a writer and the truth is metric is HORRIBLE from a writer's use as far as story elements are concerned, because the UNIFORMITY quickly makes your story start to read like a engineer's manual or instructions on how to assemble your Ikea Furniture.

However, using Furlongs-Firkins-Fortnights along with stones, Hammers, football fields, country mile, graves, jiffy, Hiroshima bombs, and good old fashion Tons are far more interesting then Meters, Grams, and seconds.

For example, I once described a MC as as strong as Six Korean War Jeeps, as big as an adult Male Kangaroo, and as intelligent as a slightly concussed Rene Descartes.

Or I could have said he could lift 6,300 Kg, he was 1.88 meters tall, and had an IQ of 117.

Which reads better?

If you want to go in universe, the history of units of measurements are based on local agreements. The Foot used to be the actual size of the foot of the local ruler, and could change as you got a new king. If you are having a story that isn't based in the modern age, then you will want to use imperial as it will sound more natural. If you want to go all out, actually work out what sort of whacky units of measurements they would use.

Remember, the pint is still used for buying beer because a Liter is too much, and half a liter sounds stupid when you sat it out loud.

Units of measurements are what gives a setting character. Metric is designed to create uniformity and destroy cultures. it has it's place when you are building a rocket, but it has little place in a historical setting. Now if I was doing something in a sci-fi setting, I'd put everything in Metric, for no other reason then to help set the mood of how dystopian the setting is.

Leti

inefficient imperial system.
This is why we should use the Floridan swamp cat system.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
trooper?

eh, metric was done pretty much the same way: "hey bros, look, this amount of water from Seine is going to weight a kilogram so goblin weighs this amount of water from Seine"
I mean an internet racist
29168572-DF92-4ED5-9385-B6FFB050E9F0.jpeg

Dieter

the Writer
It's better if you used metaphors or other relations instead of ft or m.
Eg. instead of saying that the giant was 20 ft tall, you could say that the giant towered over everyone else, or was as imposing as a dragon, or that the humans were like ants in front of him, etc. It's more vivid too than saying a number.

doravg

103/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
Okay, so I was wondering about the units of measurement I should use in a fantasy novel. I am American, and we use the inefficient imperial system. Most of the world uses Metric. I could say that 'the orc was 6 ft tall' or I could write that 'the orc was almost 2 meters'. Does metric system make sense in a fantasy world?
This site is pretty multi-national, so I imagine a lot of readers dont know imperial units of measurement as well as metric. Would they have to stop to look it up if i said the distance of the street was 300 yards? Conversely, my fellow americans would probably have to look it up if I wrote 'the object weighs 45 kilos'.

Well, I use metric, since I am European and have used metric my entire life. Still, it is your story. I bet that plenty of people will understand you, even when you use imperial. It is not like people who use metric don't know the basics of imperial. Happy writing. Write that ending!

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
"The giant had the height of twenty superdeluxedoubletriplexxl burgers and the weight of many who devoured those on a daily base" vs "The giant looked to be the same height as a x-year old tree growing in y environment weighting x.7 times of n of those trees"

Imperial if you want it to feel vague (and alienated for 90% of the world), metric if you think it warrants precision or you just don't like that your feet are inches larger than those of others or your cups are smaller and suddenly your finished product is miles away from what was acred

CapitaoCaverna

Okay, if you actually want to debate this, then lets debate this.

The Metric system was created to create a uniform system that was based on 'universal' measurements, that were just as arbitrary in the end as imperial units, because a meter isn't actually a meter, because they measured the earth wrong. However, that doesn't matter because everyone agrees what a meter is. If we were ACTUALLY going to make a universal system, then we should have started with the Planck Length, not something as silly as the circumference of the Earth.

How about celsius? Why is absolute zero -273.15ºC? The Kelvin Scale would have been better way to go.

The only advantage of Metric over imperial is that it's based on factors of 10, however, from a WRITERS perspective, this SUCKS.

Why? Simple. IT'S BORING.

When you write, a sign of a good story is avoiding using the same word more than once. The less times you have to use a word in a paragraph, a chapter, or even a book, the better. Synonyms are the life blood of a writer and the truth is metric is HORRIBLE from a writer's use as far as story elements are concerned, because the UNIFORMITY quickly makes your story start to read like a engineer's manual or instructions on how to assemble your Ikea Furniture.

However, using Furlongs-Firkins-Fortnights along with stones, Hammers, football fields, country mile, graves, jiffy, Hiroshima bombs, and good old fashion Tons are far more interesting then Meters, Grams, and seconds.

For example, I once described a MC as as strong as Six Korean War Jeeps, as big as an adult Male Kangaroo, and as intelligent as a slightly concussed Rene Descartes.

Or I could have said he could lift 6,300 Kg, he was 1.88 meters tall, and had an IQ of 117.

Which reads better?

If you want to go in universe, the history of units of measurements are based on local agreements. The Foot used to be the actual size of the foot of the local ruler, and could change as you got a new king. If you are having a story that isn't based in the modern age, then you will want to use imperial as it will sound more natural. If you want to go all out, actually work out what sort of whacky units of measurements they would use.

Remember, the pint is still used for buying beer because a Liter is too much, and half a liter sounds stupid when you sat it out loud.

Units of measurements are what gives a setting character. Metric is designed to create uniformity and destroy cultures. it has it's place when you are building a rocket, but it has little place in a historical setting. Now if I was doing something in a sci-fi setting, I'd put everything in Metric, for no other reason then to help set the mood of how dystopian the setting is.

Well now, as I just said I have no problem with imperials. But don't be dissing the metric system like that too.

I read in portuguese nearly my entire life and didn't have a problem reading things in metric.

Dude, destroy culture... damn, thats harsh and I completely disagree. Brazil's culture didn't suffer for adopting the metric system and our population really didn't want to adopt it.

Frankly, adopting the meter in everyday use doesn't really matter all that much, but even in the USA military and scientists mostly use metric. The only reason they don't adopt it in everyday use (as far as I'm aware) is because it would be inconvenient, and maybe because of stubborness since most of the world annoys them for it. Not because it would destroy culture.

Changing every plaque in the street, every board and teaching people to use meter automatically would be expensive and mostly useless if they already use it in industry.

Depending on the level of development in your story you could argue the imperial system would be the more immersive choice, But I'd also argue you're better off just comming up with a new system that takes into account the particulars of the world you're currently writing about if you trully wanted immersion.

Also... I do buy beer in liters here in Brazil.

Gibbs505

Try using marine measurements! How close is another ship when it is four cables distant! And can you fathom, fathoms?

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Metric system, everyone knows the metric system, even those in America. It may not be used much but it is known.

In comparison, no one knows the Imperial system, yes not even those in America. Sure, people in America know how much a foot is, but no one could tell you how many feet are in a mile.

That said you don't need precise measurements for peoples height. Most just say "a head taller" or "twice the size". People are much better at relative thinking then trying to do math. Same applies for a street, just call it a street. While street sizes can vary, it isn't important enough for people to start doing algebra. Making people start doing math is what breaks immersion. Or if you want some numbers, again use comparison like length of three football fields would have more people know the length than 300 yards

Gibbs505

View attachment 16467

THIS is the only fathom i want to fathom
I can fathom that Fathom!!:blob_party:
Metric system, everyone knows the metric system, even those in America. It may not be used much but it is known.

In comparison, no one knows the Imperial system, yes not even those in America. Sure, people in America know how much a foot is, but no one could tell you how many feet are in a mile.

That said you don't need precise measurements for peoples height. Most just say "a head taller" or "twice the size". People are much better at relative thinking then trying to do math. Same applies for a street, just call it a street. While street sizes can vary, it isn't important enough for people to start doing algebra. Making people start doing math is what breaks immersion. Or if you want some numbers, again use comparison like length of three football fields would have more people know the length than 300 yards
1760 yards and 5280 feet in a mile, and no, I didn't look it up!!

AiLovesToGrow

I write silly erotica
I do both. My international readers have found it helpful.
Glancing in the mirror, Honoka always felt shame whenever she looked at herself, even before the Change. Five feet and nothing inches (152cm), ninety pounds (40.4kg) soaking wet, her mixed African and Japanese heritage gave her all the wrong parts and only made her look like a mongrel freak.