Writing Prompt Middle East-themed Isekai

• Thread starter Deleted member 26725
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 26725

Everyone sees a lot of medieval Europe-themed Isekai and I’ve seen very few feudal Japan-themed Isekai...
So what could be a Middle East-themed one? I can already expect lots Arabian, Persian, Turkish and Abrahamic mythology stuff playing a big part in there, though!
And lots of cities in deserts too! XD

D

Deleted member 45782

Make one yourself :)
If you feel like there needs to be more variety themed
Since sometimes it feels like there aren't that many in a certain section or what it has just isn't that great.

tbf thu...i feel like there may be some isekai in various other themed. if you take isekai definition like how some consider narina is isekai...

Jemini

Define "middle-east" themed. Is it the culture or the climate? Because I have seen a few based in desert regions, "He Who Fights With Monsters" likely being the most popular among them. (HWFWM though largely creates it's own culture for said desert region, it's definitely not Medieval Europe at the very least and even though it's based entirely in a desert region I doubt most people would consider it "Middle East" themed.)

Also, what do you include within the "middle east?" And what era? The Holy Roman Empire? It encompassed the whole of the Middle East while it was doing it's thing. The Autaman Empire? That's a very different beast all together. How about the crusades era? You also can't forget about the Mesopotamian region and the influence it had, and the Medeteranian region had a huge influence on the Middle East as well.

Also, are you including Egypt in the middle east? It is pretty significant in the region as well, always has been. But, as soon as you include Egypt, you have a can of worms where you have to ask how much more of the African continent gets included in what you call "the Middle East." Because, really, the thing that actually makes the Middle East significant is that "middle" part. It is right at the cross-roads between SO MANY significant forces in the world and it's unique political situation was shaped by how all of these forces come together.

Honestly, I think the best modern day portrayal of the Middle East's situation is actually Final Fantasy 12. Rabinaster is positioned in a situation very similar to what we call the Middle East and has to contend with a lot of the same considerations, about the only major difference being that the nation is unified as a single kingdom at the mercy of these outside competing forces rather than having the added complication of the region being divided against itself with waring tribes in addition to all the powerful outside forces.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26725

Define "middle-east" themed. Is it the culture or the climate? Because I have seen a few based in desert regions, "He Who Fights With Monsters" likely being the most popular among them. (HWFWM though largely creates it's own culture for said desert region, it's definitely not Medieval Europe at the very least and even though it's based entirely in a desert region I doubt most people would consider it "Middle East" themed.)

Also, what do you include within the "middle east?" And what era? The Holy Roman Empire? It encompassed the whole of the Middle East while it was doing it's thing. The Autaman Empire? That's a very different beast all together. How about the crusades era? You also can't forget about the Mesopotamian region and the influence it had, and the Medeteranian region had a huge influence on the Middle East as well.

Also, are you including Egypt in the middle east? It is pretty significant in the region as well, always has been. But, as soon as you include Egypt, you have a can of worms where you have to ask how much more of the African continent gets included in what you call "the Middle East." Because, really, the thing that actually makes the Middle East significant is that "middle" part. It is right at the cross-roads between SO MANY significant forces in the world and it's unique political situation was shaped by how all of these forces come together.

Honestly, I think the best modern day portrayal of the Middle East's situation is actually Final Fantasy 12. Rabinaster is positioned in a situation very similar to what we call the Middle East and has to contend with a lot of the same considerations, about the only major difference being that the nation is unified as a single kingdom at the mercy of these outside competing forces rather than having the added complication of the region being divided against itself with waring tribes in addition to all the powerful outside forces.
Yeah, both the culture and region!

Armored99

Harem-phobic
I swear I've seen Arabian cultures appear in isekais. Any time they go to a desert region.

So, the medieval Middle-East was the center of science and culture at that time. That's why so many visible stars have Arabic names. It's not an accident that the European Renaissance started with contact with the Middle-East. In all honesty, I know so little about the region's history in any detail that'd I'd be embarrassed to try writing in that historical context. However, Al Biruni's "Chronology of Ancient Nations" should be mandatory reading for any Isekai/Fantasy World author.