Looking for Artist Might need to get some art for my novel soon (semi-realistic graphics preferred)

• Thread starter Deleted member 29081
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29081

The next passage might contain spoilers. Read at your own risk!

The Unchosen One is primarily a story about the frailty of life, the cruelty of nature, and the meaningless pursuit of happiness. In a world where humanity is faced with an existential threat in the form of the Demons, beings with an unquenchable desire to consume human flesh, there exists the Chosen: humans who are able to wield Aegises (the only weapons that can destroy a demon). However, this story is not about them. It is, instead, about a seemingly inconsequential human's journey for revenge and retribution in an uncaring, hostile world.

The art style should be semi-realistic to realistic. Something along the lines of Overlord's illustration. This work is also a good example of what style I'd like The Unchosen One's cover to emulate. Somewhere in between the two would be nice.

Right now, I'm just fishing. Once I decide whether or not to go through with it, we can discuss payment, due dates, and all that other fun stuff. I would contact "wlop" themselves, but I want to go to the mom & pop shops here first before heading straight to Amazon. Also, I don't know if they'll be able to meet my demand, or I'll be able to meet their price.

I need something realistic, but I also need it to be gritty, dirty, and ugly.

D

Deleted member 29316

ironically enough the artists looking REAL QUIET when this one dropped
Well, he's opting for a semi- to realistic style, and so far, what I've seen is a good number of artists here are doing anime- and manga-esque styles.

But I also do think that others are still asleep, or doing something else.

Nyan_sempai

,✨ ILLUSTRATOR ✨
:blobrofl: Why don't you ask WLOP to illustrate for you, his drawing has a ton of lighting tricks and contrast and stuff which is probably beyond any artist in the stage where they still post on SH
But @Dinovoila-arts draws realism, cute sexy stuff as well as intentionally grimy and ugly beasts

D

Deleted member 29081

:blobrofl: Why don't you ask WLOP to illustrate for you, his drawing has a ton of lighting tricks and contrast and stuff which is probably beyond any artist in the stage where they still post on SH
But @Dinovoila-arts draws realism, cute sexy stuff as well as intentionally grimy and ugly beasts

Like I said, I might not be able to afford the price. And I want to shop locally too, since you guys have been so nice to me.

Kaguro

I am not actually an artist, but I have gone through the commissions process for finding character art. Deviantart is probably your best bet for that level of realism and background detail. Most artists here do anime style character portraits.

I'll be straight up though, the issue I have seen from deviantart for commissions, is that only a fraction of artists are even willing to do commissions. I don't mean to discourage, but take WLOP for example, they don't seem to have a stated commission price, they are selling merchandised copies of their works for $30+, and they have a patreon with 5600 paying members. Meaning they likely make somewhere between $10k-30K a month.

The problem deviantart has as a platform, is that it is not designed with commissions in mind. Their search functions sucks, so you will be more than likely manually looking through profiles for a few good hours and messaging artists. Give them a range of what you will pay and ask if they are interested.

Those most willing to accept commissions will be ones who have a picture somewhere with commission prices laid out, meaning they have done this before. I ended up commissioning my cover art from artistsandclients, but I'll say that practically nobody there would be able to draw what you want.

A better option may be to try looking through r/hungryartists or other related subreddits. They have quite a few very skilled artists that post there from time to time and are actively seeking out commissions. But I would be prepared to pay somewhere between $200-$800 for comparable detail and realism, even from an unknown and relatively obscure artist.

D

Deleted member 29081

[ISPOIL
I am not actually an artist, but I have gone through the commissions process for finding character art. Deviantart is probably your best bet for that level of realism and background detail. Most artists here do anime style character portraits.

I'll be straight up though, the issue I have seen from deviantart for commissions, is that only a fraction of artists are even willing to do commissions. I don't mean to discourage, but take WLOP for example, they don't seem to have a stated commission price, they are selling merchandised copies of their works for $30+, and they have a patreon with 5600 paying members. Meaning they likely make somewhere between $10k-30K a month.

The problem deviantart has as a platform, is that it is not designed with commissions in mind. Their search functions sucks, so you will be more than likely manually looking through profiles for a few good hours and messaging artists. Give them a range of what you will pay and ask if they are interested.

Those most willing to accept commissions will be ones who have a picture somewhere with commission prices laid out, meaning they have done this before. I ended up commissioning my cover art from artistsandclients, but I'll say that practically nobody there would be able to draw what you want.

A better option may be to try looking through r/hungryartists or other related subreddits. They have quite a few very skilled artists that post there from time to time and are actively seeking out commissions. But I would be prepared to pay somewhere between $200-$800 for comparable detail and realism, even from an unknown and relatively obscure artist.

Yeah, I figure as much. For that kind of money, I'd like to get at least 100-200 readers interested in my story before that amount into it.

Kaguro

Yeah, I figure as much. For that kind of money, I'd like to get at least 100-200 readers interested in my story before that amount into it.

One thing to keep in mind if you are buying this for a scribblehub cover. Covers here are 250p x 350p. So fancy art will not be visible.

Ral

So you wanted a painterly style. This kind of painting is called Painterly. Brushstrokes very visible. Hope that helps when you search.

Nyan_sempai

,✨ ILLUSTRATOR ✨
Like I said, I might not be able to afford the price. And I want to shop locally too, since you guys have been so nice to me.
Its not like i absolutely can't do realism or painterly tricks, even if my style is anime i use semi realistic rendering, but if you're talking about things like monster design and stuff... I am a simple chick who likes to draw dumb pretty stuff... well lets say even if there's a monster that i designed, and fire and dirt and grime there has to be a pretty lass or lad like WLOP's painting

Last edited:

Straborvsky

BOI! I'm hope I'm not late!

Are you still finding an artist? well ... you found another one ... ME! alright2, serious talk now ... I could do semi realist, PM me if you're interested and I'll give you my Discord ID so we can talk more detail, you could request simple art from me as a "Trial" before buyin

D

Deleted member 29081

BOI! I'm hope I'm not late!

Are you still finding an artist? well ... you found another one ... ME! alright2, serious talk now ... I could do semi realist, PM me if you're interested and I'll give you my Discord ID so we can talk more detail, you could request simple art from me as a "Trial" before buyin
Can you give me an example of some of the work you've done?

Straborvsky

Can you give me an example of some of the work you've done?
Here is the public one, why don't you try request a simple portrait head shot (up to chest/waist) and see what I can do. If you have a discord, it's much easier if we talk there since I almost everyday online at discord.

Ral

Here is the public one, why don't you try request a simple portrait head shot (up to chest/waist) and see what I can do. If you have a discord, it's much easier if we talk there since I almost everyday online at discord.
Not the style deu6 wants. You use smooth brushes and there is a lot of blending that obliterates most of the brush strokes.

Also doesn't satisfy the "gritty, dirty, ugly" aesthetics deu6 wants. Your style is pretty much the complete opposite. Smooth, clean and pretty.

The examples given has a style that doesn't emphasize line work. Little to no lines is used to indicate edges and boundaries.

Still, maybe you could adapt your style to be closer to what deu6 is looking for.

D

Deleted member 29081

Looks nice. I'll keep you in mind.

D

Deleted member 29081

Not the style deu6 wants. You use smooth brushes and there is a lot of blending that obliterates most of the brush strokes.

Also doesn't satisfy the "gritty, dirty, ugly" aesthetics deu6 wants. Your style is pretty much the complete opposite. Smooth, clean and pretty.

The examples given has a style that doesn't emphasize line work. Little to no lines is used to indicate edges and boundaries.

Still, maybe you could adapt your style to be closer to what deu6 is looking for.

I'm not looking for perfect. I'll settle for whatever I can get, so long as it fits my core ideals.

Reactions: Ral

Ral

I'm not looking for perfect. I'll settle for whatever I can get, so long as it fits my core ideals.
Straborvsky does have some skills. Just needs to adapt a more painterly style and work in your preferred aesthetics. Shouldn't be that hard.