Military Academy/Noble Related Classes Help?

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
I'm fiddling around with the idea of some other unrelated story to what I'm currently writing, and I'm at a point where I know how I wish to begin it, but I'm needing some opinions.

I have a small list but it doesn't really feel right. The concept is a Military Academy, catering to those of noble birth. Now this isn't the main point of the story, and I'm not intending it to go beyond more than half an arc at best, but I'm not sure what to fil it in with.

What classes would this sort of place have. For the Military side of things, what kind of classes would it have besides the typical academia like mathematics, science, geography, tactics, sparring practice.....and what else guys?

As for the noble side of things....horseback riding as an elective? Falconry maybe though thats more of a hobby than anything practical. Maybe some history-related stuff. Then etiquette....? But then, what does etiquette classes even involve? And what else kind of classes besides that for nobles specifically? Or just in general.

Any help guys?

D

Deleted member 29316

History (about military tactics, strategy and diplomacy) and engineering (for siege warfare, like placing of mines in relation to the softness of rocks, or undermining a fortress wall).

Etiquette classes too, they usually teach how a 'gentleman' military officer should behave (around ladies, around fellow gentlemen, etc. Social dances are also being taught in manners).

Nobles usually serve in the cavalry, so horseback riding is a necessity. You should add reconnaisance or scouting classes too, since it's the purpose of cavalry (aside from being shock troops). Oh, and map-reading too.

Falconry can be elective, or just a hobby.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
How about you try to split the sparring sessions to something more diverse? Like swordsmanship lesson which feature different classes for sabres, zweihanders and other types of weapon? Lesson on wielding weapons during horsebacks is a must if you have such tactics in the country's forces.

Ethical lessons like how to treat your troops so that most of them will not stab you out of mutiny and boost morales?

Ps, a hindsight, I think you should have different classes to people of different ranks they hold when they are drafted in or something, you can have something broad like those electives in high schools, but for those specialized in the military need to have their special courses like those in the universities

Last edited:

PandaSempai

For the noble class, Etiquette is always a must, I think? How to greet people, how to curtsey, how to bow, how to behave like a noble, how to answer some formal calls and etc. For the military class, there's the disciplinary training, which is very much like the the Etiquette class but is more on how you should act tough or whatever. I've undergone that kind of training at one point in highschool so I know for a fact that Military Training is grueling and strict. You have to follow strict rules and all that. The leader should be followed and you will be punished if you disobey. 100 push-ups, squats, etc, etc. that's what you'll do if you disobey orders. Other than that, it should mentioned that remaining serious for a long period of time almost killed me.(it was really hard to keep a straight face when you hear your leader stutter or do something stupid)

Discount_Blade

How about you try to split the sparring sessions to something more diverse? Like swordsmanship lesson which feature different classes for sabres, zweihanders and other types of weapon? Lesson on wielding weapons during horsebacks is a must if you have such tactics in the country's forces.

Ethical lessons like how to treat your troops so that most of them will not stab you out of mutiny and boost morales?

The horseback riding would literally be only for electives or for ceremonial practice since the Nobles will have a different type of "cavalry". It will be kind of a 1400's looking world meaning cannons but no rifles as of yet. Plus, mages will have magic, though no fireballs or anything. More subtle stuff like runes, enchantments for weapons, and the main thing being what the nobles use in war. Instead of horses a their status symbol, they will have a certain type of "armor" that sets them apart from non-nobles. No more riding on horseback. They'll be noticeable in battle even without the giant animal they ride.

Discount_Blade

History (about military tactics, strategy and diplomacy) and engineering (for siege warfare, like placing of mines in relation to the softness of rocks, or undermining a fortress wall).

Etiquette classes too, they usually teach how a 'gentleman' military officer should behave (around ladies, around fellow gentlemen, etc. Social dances are also being taught in manners).

Nobles usually serve in the cavalry, so horseback riding is a necessity. You should add reconnaisance or scouting classes too, since it's the purpose of cavalry (aside from being shock troops). Oh, and map-reading too.

Falconry can be elective, or just a hobby.
Oh man thanks for the siege warfare mention. I'm a historian and I forgot about the damn siege warfare part....just didn't seem as important. I had it umbrella'd under engineering....but eh. My apologies.

atgongumerki

Networking!
The one thing that makes or breaks a noble is how well they can network and relate to other nobles.

Politics!
High-ranking military advisers need to know how to play the game of politics.

History!
Of the nation, the other nations and of warfare.

Geography!
Mostly for strategic reasons.

Diplomacy!
Even if it is just to negotiate a surrender.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Oh man thanks for the siege warfare mention. I'm a historian and I forgot about the damn siege warfare part....just didn't seem as important. I had it umbrella'd under engineering....but eh. My apologies.
... to be fair, siege warfares can be condensed down for attackers are: 1. Bio-warfare 2. Psychological warfare 3. Cutting the defenders off of essential supplies

While the defenders are basically to keep the attackers from NOT doing those things. It is more of historical/ logistical classes.

Discount_Blade

... to be fair, siege warfares can be condensed down for attackers are: 1. Bio-warfare 2. Psychological warfare 3. Cutting the defenders off of essential supplies

While the defenders are basically to keep the attackers from NOT doing those things. It is more of historical/ logistical classes.
Geography too would fit in with Siege warfare since the lay of the land and capturing/securing it is often more important than taking the city/castle/fortress itself. It was very common during the middle ages in particular to not even bother capturing a castle/fortress but to just bypass it and capture everything around it that was less defensible, effectively isolating that position of strength. The Mongols in particular were masters of this

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
I'm fiddling around with the idea of some other unrelated story to what I'm currently writing, and I'm at a point where I know how I wish to begin it, but I'm needing some opinions.

I have a small list but it doesn't really feel right. The concept is a Military Academy, catering to those of noble birth. Now this isn't the main point of the story, and I'm not intending it to go beyond more than half an arc at best, but I'm not sure what to fil it in with.

What classes would this sort of place have. For the Military side of things, what kind of classes would it have besides the typical academia like mathematics, science, geography, tactics, sparring practice.....and what else guys?

As for the noble side of things....horseback riding as an elective? Falconry maybe though thats more of a hobby than anything practical. Maybe some history-related stuff. Then etiquette....? But then, what does etiquette classes even involve? And what else kind of classes besides that for nobles specifically? Or just in general.

Any help guys?
Rhetorics is a must-have.

Discount_Blade

Combat Magic:
Close Quarters, Ranged, Siege, Defense.
Healing
Scrying
Alchemy
Ritual Magic
Wow. I didn't even think of Scrying at all. or Alchemy. Nice.

Actually, I'm not sure what alchemy entails. I mean I know the standard response is transfusion/alteration of metals.....but like what else? Even that brief definition doesn't tell me much. I used to confuse it with herbology once upon a time believe it or not.

Science and or Alchemy based classes or electives:
Poisons and Antidotes
Spying and Subterfuge
Anatomy
Field medicine and practices

Field Medicine yeah I can see that one. Anatomy though.....thats a pretty interesting choice actually.