Minimal Encouragers in dialogue

Emi_the_Fairy

Hey everyone,

So I got to thinking about minimal encouragers and wondering if/how others use them in their writing.

For those who don't know what I mean, a minimal encourager are small phrases, like "okay" and "yeah" that people say to indicate that they're still listening and engaged in a conversation. You commonly see professionals, like therapists, use them to encourage the client to continue with minimal disruption. (thus minimal encourager)

I feel like I often wind up ignoring them, but think they can be really helpful in breaking up exposition. What do you all think?

whitesculptor

The princess whispers & the keyboard clacks.
Personally when the personage is telling a story to another, or talking about a complicated subject, or even something complicated with a lot of explanations in the process, are the three types where the use would be beneficial, at least, the ones I use.

Chestnutriceeee

I personally find them to make things more immersive. It doesn't make sense when one person goes rambling on to another without any feedback. Having a "Hm" or "Yeah" thrown in between makes it feel more realistic to me.

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
I have them as background descriptors. Not in actual dialogue quotes, but throw in a line between words both describing one actor nodding/humming/agreeing as well as some extra body language.

That way my dialogues remain on point and without any unnecessary words mixed in. but at the same time these breaks allow the dialogue not to sound like an info dump.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It's good if you are going for realism in dialogue. However, realism is not always the goal. There was a great Youtube video someone else on here posted about that, but I can't find it. The point is that you can take artistic liberties with dialogue.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
I feel like I often wind up ignoring them, but think they can be really helpful in breaking up exposition. What do you all think?
I think it might be reasonable, but I prefer to break up dialogue with descriptions of body language or action.
I have them as background descriptors. Not in actual dialogue quotes, but throw in a line between words both describing one actor nodding/humming/agreeing as well as some extra body language
Like this, I guess.

Ironically, if the goal is to encourage the other person to keep going while letting them know you're still listening, then it's counterproductive in a written story. Since you're deliberately breaking into their monologue.
The only time you should interrupt a monologue with speech is to turn into a dialogue, or to change the flow of the discussion. For example, the second character asks a question or refutes something character one said; or if a third character appears out of nowhere and interrupts.

Well, that's what I think as an amateur who's literally not written any dialogue in my one published story yet.

witch_sorrowful

Mmm, Monke.
There are only few correct methods when it comes to dialogue - and the most important one is sound it out. Actually say it, and feel how it seems. Dialogue is not supposed to reflect real speech - but it is supposed to take the story somewhere, and yet it is very important that it sounds the right way.

Emi_the_Fairy

I think it might be reasonable, but I prefer to break up dialogue with descriptions of body language or action.

By the way, body language is a form of minimal encourager.
There are only few correct methods when it comes to dialogue - and the most important one is sound it out. Actually say it, and feel how it seems. Dialogue is not supposed to reflect real speech - but it is supposed to take the story somewhere, and yet it is very important that it sounds the right way.

I don't think I really agree with that. Dialogue can take many forms, and casual lifelike conversation can be very good for characterization and be good for immersion. I think there's a lot of different ways of writing dialogue for that reason, and it largely depends on the circumstances.