More Default Covers

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
Could we have an option of at least three default covers? It gets really confusing if you have the same cover for all of them. In more detail, I am just asking if we could have a pop-up that gave us at least 3 different types of options for default covers.... Eh, just my little suggestion....

hauntedwritings

That stories are given a default cover at all should be appreciated. It would make much more sense to not have one at all, and simply have an empty image or a question mark, yet someone has made the effort to create the cover to bring a little more life to the website. Especially when if you want to have a cover, you are meant to procure it yourself.

To ask for more covers, is essentially to ask for a free commission. Someone has to make those covers. Only having a single cover, makes a clear line between stories where the author has bothered to get their own cover, and those that haven't.

Lets face it, the cover is there for one purpose only - to grab peoples' attention. It's not exactly hard to get a basic cover, all you have to do is open up paint, crop the size and write the title and fill in the background. Done in less than a few minutes, and your story will already stand out a lot more.

CadmarLegend

That stories are given a default cover at all should be appreciated. It would make much more sense to not have one at all, and simply have an empty image or a question mark, yet someone has made the effort to create the cover to bring a little more life to the website. Especially when if you want to have a cover, you are meant to procure it yourself.

To ask for more covers, is essentially to ask for a free commission. Someone has to make those covers. Only having a single cover, makes a clear line between stories where the author has bothered to get their own cover, and those that haven't.

Lets face it, the cover is there for one purpose only - to grab peoples' attention. It's not exactly hard to get a basic cover, all you have to do is open up paint, crop the size and write the title and fill in the background. Done in less than a few minutes, and your story will already stand out a lot more.
Oh, I'm not ungrateful that we have default covers. I like it as well. However, maybe we could have things like different themes? That would just have it be easier to identify the covers.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Could we have an option of at least three default covers? It gets really confusing if you have the same cover for all of them. In more detail, I am just asking if we could have a pop-up that gave us at least 3 different types of options for default covers.... Eh, just my little suggestion....
My man, the reason they gave only ONE boring ass default cover is because they don't want you to use a default cover. It's not supposed to be a feature; it's supposed to be a placeholder. They only have one because it's supposed to stand out from repetition: this story doesn't have a cover, is what it's trying to convey. Giving different options just defeats the purpose, no?

CadmarLegend

My man, the reason they gave only ONE boring ass default cover is because they don't want you to use a default cover. It's not supposed to be a feature; it's supposed to be a placeholder. They only have one because it's supposed to stand out from repetition: this story doesn't have a cover, is what it's trying to convey. Giving different options just defeats the purpose, no?
I guess.....

D

Deleted member 45782

I disagree. I prefer this than Wattpad slapping our profile picture on our story covers if we don't pick a cover yet.

I like ScribbleHub's default cover. Like others on this thread said, its a placeholder. What's the point of doing that if you're going to have more than 1 default covers? Then you may have more simply not choosing to make a new cover, because they are already are comfortable with what they have. This pushes you to be creative and find your own cover. It pushes people to put more effort into putting their story out there for others to see.

And like someone mentioned, who does the artwork of these default covers - it take a lot of time to create something even if you don't see that part and only see the end product...which is often the case people don't see hours put into artwork and only the result: the art, and then they just like or take it.

I agree that if you have many works, and you didn't put a cover on any of them, all seven stories will be set as default cover which can be confusing. However, it is then up to the author to slap on a cover so they and their readers can distinguish what work is which.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
And like someone mentioned, who does the artwork of these default covers - it take a lot of time to create something even if you don't see that part and only see the end product...which is often the case people don't see hours put into artwork and only the result: the art, and then they just like or take it.
Tbf, it's probably some stock image that Tony bought, I doubt he had much trouble obtaining it.

D

Deleted member 45782

Tbf, it's probably some stock image that Tony bought, I doubt he had much trouble obtaining it.
True, but if we want a few more different default cover images, how will it be acquired? Someone may have to shell out something for another stock image or two then.

I think its best to have one default cover only.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
True, but if we want a few more different default cover images, how will it be acquired? Someone may have to shell out something for another stock image or two then.

I think its best to have one default cover only.
Oh, I agree that only one default cover is more than enough~

I was just saying that it probably wasn't a big effort on his end to obtain the image~

I'd like more covers like maybe kinda for major genres