Movies and Shows

What's one thing you hate to see when watching a movie a show, or when reading?

I personally hate when somthing starts out with an outcome of a situation and then goes back in time to show you what happened to cause that.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

I personally hate when somthing starts out with an outcome of a situation and then goes back in time to show you what happened to cause that.
Stupid characters that go “no no! This can’t be happening! This is real life!” Blah blah you know the deal

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I hate Tsunderes, or the violent ones at least. It isn't comic relief, it's frustrating.

"I like you, so it's only natural that I kick the absolute shit out of you every time I catch you in an accident without giving you the chance to explain yourself because the author is about 4 IQ points away from becoming legally retarded."

I hate the antics but on the flip side, nothing fuels me with more joy than watching a Tsundere in some isekai romcom break down in rejection from the MC because he didn't see the attraction in having a severed spine.

Last edited:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I hate a love triangle where the MC has to choose only one partner. Polyamory exists. At least mention the possibility. If they say no, that's fine.

D

Deleted member 54065

I hate nonsensical sex in every story I read. At least commit in a relationship, is what I mean.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackKnightX

Bad drama, misunderstandings, tragedy, bad ending, too much angsts, dragged plot—pretty much anything that will make you feel down.

Topgun1908

Spin-off shows, and tie-ins to another show you have to watch to understand the whole plot.
Yeah if you're gonna include something from another one of your works it should only be something like "Hey this character or famous event was something that happened in a different book." It's a way to nod at your previous works without making it necessary to read them to understand the plot
I hate when dialogue tries to be 'hip with the kids.' For instance, I recently watched Raya and the Last Dragon, which I thought was alright. However, I was incredibly annoyed by a dragon in a medieval Southeast Asian setting sounding like a stereotypical twitter using, startbucks drinking, college aged girl.
It doesn't help that in five years that dialogue will probably be confusing to people who didn't know how people were at the time because nobody uses that type of slang anymore

It's a bit specific but I hate when a character is supposed to be smart but because the author is dumb everyone else in the story has to have sub-brick intelligence to make the mc seem smart.

Last edited:

LordJoyde

I abhor it when feminists create characters that exist for the sole purpose of fulfilling some 'moral' quota or whatever.

Like a black guy whose only personality trait is being a black guy.
Or an old, rich white dude that hates nature, and is also racist.
Or your classic ugly lesbian chick whose girlfriend starts out real supportive but then ditches her only to return because of an 'emotional victory'.

Viator

Wandering Moon that conceals the tide
Yeah if you're gonna include something from another one of your works it should only be something like "Hey this character or famous event was something that happened in a different book." It's a way to nod at your previous works without making it necessary to read them to understand the plot

It doesn't help that in five years that dialogue will probably be confusing to people who didn't know how people were at the time because nobody uses that type of slang anymore

It's a bit specific but I hate when a character is supposed to be smart but because the author is dumb everyone else in the story has to have sub-brick intelligence to make the mc seem smart.
I agree. But to add to that, I hate the portrayal of (smart=good at everything) You don't have to avoid an intelligent character entirely, even if your own brain isn't as good as your characters'. You just have to make the intelligence specialized to allow your characters to be flawed in other areas. Most people who are considered intelligent are like this; really good at one thing, but they can be trash in other areas. Very few Universally intelligent people (people born with a wide variety of genius) have been born throughout history. If you are going to write about someone with a good brain, don't just use it as a cheap tool to easily write off everything in your story.

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
Romance. I don't hate the genre, but with (American especially) shows, it quickly takes over anything else. I'm sure if you have watched TV shows, it will be harder for you to list shows where a male protagonist isn't romantically active, rather than those where he is either in a relationship or is seeking one. As for female leads... Apart from the fact that those are very rare, those where there isn't romance are practically nonexistent.

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
I hate it when they awkwardly shove politics into my movies with no respect for the characters they are using.

If you want to push feminism, then derailing the show with a female character that one ups the preestablished character at every turn, shoving our beloved franchises in the mud to step on they corpse and look pretty, is not the way to go. (I am still mad at the Loki Sylvie show)

Being better at everything does not make you a strong character. Istead, you need to write an actual character that can stand on its own. You know, like we did in the old days? Can anyone remember a strong character in Alien or Terminator? Women you could admire and respect, not because reality bened to their will, or because they were the epitome of perfection, but because they earned it through their actions?

I went to the Cinema to have a good time, not to attend a two hours seminar on how men are toxic.