Mutants in the beginning of the industrial revolution (at or around 1700)

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
They didn't come in droves, but rather it was only in miniscule amount and loads of abortion and abandonment by parents and families who didn't understand. Those who were lucky enough to live will pass down their quirks to the next generation, though it was said that only at a maximum of 10% chance of their new born would have a mutation.

Following the same grading format of how Marvel's X-men was, minusing Omega levels (imba too OP). There are the Epsilon (lowest ranking, little to no combat capabilities and barely looking like human), Delta (look like a normal person), Gamma (powerful but looks like a freak), Beta (powerful but looks barely like a human, with minor defects or kinks) and Alpha (powerful AND indistinguishable from a normal). Chart them onto a X-Y graph, with X being from looking less and less like a normal as the graph progresses and Y being power level, the five groups will form into something like a line graph Y=1/X.

Though it was stated that the true power level between mutants are unclear in Alpha, Beta and Gamma (the three's power level is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and only the looks are clearly defined), so it is entirely possible to look like a dragonian badass and obviously be in Gamma.

What will happen to the technological progress of the world? Will it still march on with hydraulics, steam locomotive and telegrams when there are strongmen, speedsters and flying freaks?

For most of the works I have seen, it is mostly always minority vs majority, whoever is taking what role is not important as the conflict will always be prejudice, be it the mutant kid who got stoned or the normie almost getting a lit cigarette searing his eyeballs. I want to see a late 20th century world, where the mutants and humans are of (exact or almost) equal population, coexisting begrudgingly. How will the technology work? Will it be like Republic City?

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
They didn't come in droves, but rather it was only in miniscule amount and loads of abortion and abandonment by parents and families who didn't understand. Those who were lucky enough to live will pass down their quirks to the next generation, though it was said that only at a maximum of 10% chance of their new born would have a mutation.

Following the same grading format of how Marvel's X-men was, minusing Omega levels (imba too OP). There are the Epsilon (lowest ranking, little to no combat capabilities and barely looking like human), Delta (look like a normal person), Gamma (powerful but looks like a freak), Beta (powerful but looks barely like a human, with minor defects or kinks) and Alpha (powerful AND indistinguishable from a normal). Chart them onto a X-Y graph, with X being from looking less and less like a normal as the graph progresses and Y being power level, the five groups will form into something like a line graph Y=1/X.

Though it was stated that the true power level between mutants are unclear in Alpha, Beta and Gamma (the three's power level is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and only the looks are clearly defined), so it is entirely possible to look like a dragonian badass and obviously be in Gamma.

What will happen to the technological progress of the world? Will it still march on with hydraulics, steam locomotive and telegrams when there are strongmen, speedsters and flying freaks?

For most of the works I have seen, it is mostly always minority vs majority, whoever is taking what role is not important as the conflict will always be prejudice, be it the mutant kid who got stoned or the normie almost getting a lit cigarette searing his eyeballs. I want to see a late 20th century world, where the mutants and humans are of (exact or almost) equal population, coexisting begrudgingly. How will the technology work? Will it be like Republic City?
Industrial revolution is in the 19th century. It would basically be the feudal era but with superpowers, plebs without powers go to a lord with superpowers and pledge their allegiance to him for protection. Basically all the centralization and absolutism that happened ever since the cannon would be undone because of dudes with superpowers wrecking everything. Probably because of the fact that some dumb asses are wrecking everything we could see an apartheid system, where super power people are oppressed or the other way around. Also expect the church to make a resurgence, as there’s a million heretics. Technology, other than that of a military nature wouldn’t really be developing because people are trying to survive, not live.

Layenlml

There needs to be a way to contol each other, meaning a super and effective weapon againts mutant like the typical skill nullifier thing or else there will be no equal standings.

But, what can humans offer to mutants? Even one low mutants should be stronger and better than a normal human...

My only choice is one My Hero Academia fic I saw, with healing quirks making it possible for humans to train extremely since they don't need to worry about permanent injuries, and weapons ofc.

Also something to make peace? Like a war that ended badly too for boh sides?

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
There needs to be a way to contol each other, meaning a super and effective weapon againts mutant like the typical skill nullifier thing or else there will be no equal standings.

But, what can humans offer to mutants? Even one low mutants should be stronger and better than a normal human...

My only choice is one My Hero Academia fic I saw, with healing quirks making it possible for humans to train extremely since they don't need to worry about permanent injuries, and weapons ofc.

Also something to make peace? Like a war that ended badly too for boh sides?
Oops, I forgot to properly explain the setting.

Epsilon, aka the ugly and useless, takes up the main bulk of the mutant kind, 90% in that case but most of the times due to their looks, they get the clothes hanger of the river once born. An example would be a year a 1000 mutant babies is born and 900 of them looks like shit, so assuming most, like 99.8% of them gets murdered, so 102 babies are still barely alive, still stronger than the average joe...

Talentless Nana gave us a solution and that is to pile bodies until the mutants die.
Industrial revolution is in the 19th century. It would basically be the feudal era but with superpowers, plebs without powers go to a lord with superpowers and pledge their allegiance to him for protection. Basically all the centralization and absolutism that happened ever since the cannon would be undone because of dudes with superpowers wrecking everything. Probably because of the fact that some dumb asses are wrecking everything we could see an apartheid system, where super power people are oppressed or the other way around. Also expect the church to make a resurgence, as there’s a million heretics. Technology, other than that of a military nature wouldn’t really be developing because people are trying to survive, not live.
So it is the warring state plus fireball chucking monkeys? I was imagining a regression in tech, ie no TVs, no home entertainment system and more shock collars.

TotallyHuman

It's good to be home.
want to see a late 20th century world, where the mutants and humans are of (exact or almost) equal population, coexisting begrudgingly
Depending on how strong the mutants are, they are going to dominate culturally, economically and socially at mutants being very powerful all the way down to humans and mutants just coexisting like normal with occasional but overall relatively rare xenophobia from specimens of both sides. Why? Because for mutants to get to that stage where they make up ~half of the population, I feel it is basically implied that there have been some social reforms way before. Unless they just suddenly started popping up everywhere, which is a whole different beast with various possible options of how they are distributed amongst population (like, mutants popping up Amidst the rich/poor primarily, or equally likely etc).
Also, depending on how many human-looking mutants are (actually, I think it's more of how fertile mutants are and how we'll mutants and humans can leave mutual offsprings), in a few generations mutants are going to make up more population (unless mutant x human kids are infertile/die too often compared to h x h or m x m kids or some similar shenanigans, fairly assuming that mutant traits get passed down).

Kenjona

If this works how I think I am reading it, then Mutants would die out or at least never increase past a certain % threshold. Possibly 10% or less from they way it is written. If Random survivable and useful mutations are a thing, then for it to reach parity with Non Mutant humans it must be a 50% chance for a Mutant to be born; to Humans and Mutants. Just as with male/female birth ratio's. You can skew that up or down by increasing or decreasing the ratio between them as long as both Mutants and Humans can have Human or Mutant children. Also those male mutants with better "power sets" will of course tend to be able to procreate more then those without. Female mutants with better power sets and looks will also get to choose better mates and if they choose to bear children, those will tend to be of higher standards if Human, though if Mutations are truly random, well that's down to luck.

It might march on even faster in certain aspects (Weaponry, Tactics, Logistics and Trauma/Healing) than usual, true arms races tend to do that. However as long as there are people with a huge power gap versus the rest of the population, whether Mutant or Not. The social strides we have taken for "equality" might take a back seat at the same time. Dynasty's would not be easily held on to if every generation is a crap shoot on who the most powerful person is in a territory. It also means a more Volatile society. For the same reason, you could justify the slowing down of technology as anyone with power does not want to get mobbed by better weapons.

Alfir

The Inventor of Words

I can relate quite a lot since my current fiction is also about mutants BUT in a medieval era reminiscent of the monarchy and swords.

I am curious, how much much of the known world has been explored? I can imagine some primitive tribes to be worshipping OP mutants or maybe have developed a mutation path as cannibalistic monsters. The range of unexplored lands can also contribute to the amount, possibility, and variety of dangerous monsters outside the human sphere. In my current fiction, I have goblins that evolved from bacteria and a lot of fantasy monsters with mysterious origins. I can imagine your story possessing this kind of danger in the form of monsters.

Imagine a mad cackling scientist weaponizing a crocodile or a pup that suddenly mutated or a dead mutant affecting the world geography or an anaconda going into a massive evolution as it grows to an abnormal length and size... It's intense. Especially with the presence of the underworld, the mutant kind will thrive in this kind of world where nukes aren't a thing yet.

Depending on mutant abilities, this world could possess some wacky science ranging from steampunk, some nasty bioengineering, and badass intelligent type gadgeteers. Don't include frighteningly modern stuff like the internet, nuclear, and space exploration. You can choose to make it in a dystopia where greedy mutants manipulatively control governments whilst the good mutants are being taken advantage of...

The type of government, structure of society, and the many several SUPERPOWERS(As in organizations) will play a big role in the story. These massive factors most of the time contribute to how much control is being shared across the 'known' world.

and just my suggestion... Make an anti-hero willing to carry the name of a terrorist as he tries to subvert this world's rotten system.
BOOM! That's my take, I hope it helps!

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
The 17th century was part of the Renaissance.
My guess the enlightenment would be pushed back greatly, and therefore many humanistic ideals would not come forth til later, and technology would advance fairly slow because of the heavy reliance on superpowers.

Or technology would progress faster if people decided they wanted fire power to match up against these mutant overlords.

Last edited: