• Ridiculous event/mishap comedy

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Misunderstandings

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Other (Comment)

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters

DubstheDuke

So, to give a bit of context, I wrote (And I say wrote because I've finished writing it), a litRPG dark fantasy series, and comedy is something that has always been an interesting part of the writing experience for me.

So when I first started writing my series, I'll be honest- my comedy was bad. Like really bad. I purposely tried to make things funny, and really all that ended up doing was making people cringe at my over the top attempts.

However as I wrote the series, I started doing more subtle comedy which played more into the characters and situations themselves, stuff like irony and references to things which happened earlier in the series.

One thing that I've notice though, or at least for me, is that the funniest comedy is almost always something that's an inside joke.

What do I mean by this?

A joke that would only ever be understood by someone who has read the series.

I really like using comedy which specifically requires someone to understand everything that has happened prior. If someone were to flip to that page and read it, there wouldn't even appear to be any comedy there, but for someone who has read the story, they know.

I also really like using sarcasm and sarcastic characters for comedic purposes. For example, the following line.

"What am I, a lawyer? I may be pure evil, but I'm not THAT evil."

One of my favorite lines by far.

As far as the irony goes, I quite like using serious scenarios to create dark comedy which we can laugh at, only because we are outside of the scenario. For example, writing from the perspective of a stupid villainous character, speaking their thoughts in narration as if they are the objective truth so that the readers laugh at the idiocy of such a character. Kinda like Philip in Overlord, if anyone knows about this.

Something like this.

Without a doubt, the plan was foolproof.

He had taken every precaution to ensure his own safety.

He would escape this horrible place, and he would live another day.

And then proceed to a scene where all said preparations go wrong, and said character dies horribly.

So yeah. That's about my experience with comedy. Since my series wasn't supposed to be comedy focused, but rather comedy was a biproduct of the events in the series, I think that keeping it subtle and not over the top is the best way to go. As for series which are focused on comedy, perhaps this wouldn't be the right approach. So? For the writers out there, what is your experience with comedy? And for the readers, what type of comedy do you think works best?

sereminar

I'm the biggest sucker for puns, I'm also pretty bad at catching them though lol.
Idk, comedy is hard, it definitely takes a lot of practice so I'm proud of you for finding your style and working at it!

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Tbh, I'm fine with most comedy, and most people are too. You don't need to focus on one specific aspect to be successful.

However, you have to make sure your comedy is INTENTIONAL. If it ain't, it's gonna pose some BIG problems for the rest of your tone.

Valthan

I like satirical comedy. Insults and making people look stupid, poking fun at past mistakes; that sort of thing.

For example, I've been kicking around an idea of an isekai where the reincarnated MC is genre savvy and he lambasts every trope he runs into. It's like he's the only normal guy in a land full of morons.

"So let me get this straight... You want to summon someone from another world to solve all our problems. Is that right?"

"Well, you see-"

"There's three problems with that. First - because they're from another world, they're technically foreigners and nobody here, not even the king, will have any authority to order them to do anything. Second - unless they are absolute dumbasses, they'll realise they are stronger or pontentially stronger than everyone else in the whole damn kingdom! Otherwise there's no point in summoning them in the first place. Third - you will be dragging these people from their home against their will. Kidnapping them! I don't know if you haven't heard. But that tends to piss people off! Now tell me. What part of any of that sounds like a good idea!?"

"Umm..."

"What!? Tell me! What is your excuse!?"

"They're standing right behind you..."

"FFFFF-"

Last edited:
i love humor combined with perverted things, especially if it's between girls.

but anything that can make me laugh will do. like one of my favorite one liners: you can prick your fnger, but don't finger your prick.

surreal jokes are also my kinda thing. like stuff that's just plain random without any intention of being funny, just stream of consciousness thing, but turn out to be the funniest thing ever.

D

Deleted member 45782

I'm not really into dark humor. Sometimes I don't find it comfortable for the really, really dark humor which I find questionable at times...That said, I do occasionally find some dark humor nice and bit into it.

But I'm more into light hearted humor.

What I like is nice, fluffy humor. Something that isn't too stupid or funny just bc its violent (seen many AFV, most of them are cringe painful, not that funny).

Misunderstandings and Innuendos yeah. Sometimes it just lighten up someone's day with something more light hearted or off topic than something thats kinda..And misunderstandings make great comedic scenes in drama and stories, as well as in real life.

Other jokes feel relatable. Maybe I won't laugh crazy over it, but it kinda brings a smile or a chuckle knowing a joke is relatable in a way.

I like Fluffy Iglesias. His videos are always light hearted and funny. Maybe he pokes at his stepson a bit too much on the public stage for the world to see, but in general his vids are somewhat relatable but also mostly funny without going off the deep end to offend anyone. Light hearted funny humor.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
I’m all about that masochistic suffering through cringe comedy. I force myself to watch the worst, cringiest anime I can possibly find. As I watch on in horror, my skin crawls, and I collapse on my side while hugging my knees. While the anime plays out before my eyes, I repeat the single word, “cringe,” to myself aloud over and over again. Eventually, when I can take it no more, I’m forced to pause the episode and I begin to write shitty stories to shake off the overwhelming levels of cringe. When the cringe in my body has dissipated... I go back for some more suffering. The process repeats unendingly. I imagine this is what hell is like.