My first take on writing

nosinkarma

Me writing for first time. I like to read webnovels alot and had this constant thought maybe I should write one too. So after a whole week of thinking I just went ahead and wrote on a roll without thinking much.

I swear to god, why is writing not as easy as reading. I just lack in writing department so much. I had to learn to get punctuation, different style of writing, to get good somewhat authentic information on what topic and theme I choose to write upon.

Sigh, I felt so good writing first 2 chapters, I felt so confident but after I was drained of my initial excitement I realised , the chapters, the writing just don't feel seamless. It lacks the flow, the rhythm a good we'll formed chapter should have.

When I read my own work, I don't feel it is that bad but I know since it is my work I am gonna be sub consciously biased towards it.

So I hope people can give my different point of view on what they think is potentially lacking in these chapters. Any advice objective or subjective is very much appreciated.
:blob_aww::blob_aww::blob_aww:
My work - The Knight's Journey

witch_sorrowful

Mmm, Monke.
Hmm, there's a couple of things you could do. The first one is easier, but requires time. The other one is harder, but requires time and talent.

The first is to read and listen to lectures on writing. Or at least understand what makes a story better than the other. What is a narrative technique, and how do authors execute it. What is plot, and what is plot structure, and how is related to your characters? What is in media res, and what is a prologue, where is it necessary, and where it is not.

Now, that's basically a whole semester of Creative Writing. There are many such resources available on Youtube, and the likes. I recommend the one for SciFi and Fantasy, by Brandon Sanderson. But that is a huge commitment, because it is one thing knowing about it, and quite another thing executing it. You will need to practice.

And even then, your story might not be read.

But, to get better in writing, you need to unravel what you are writing, and this is why I think this way is easier than the following.

The second way is of course, writing it out. Reading it back. Doing corrections. Delving into your own thoughts and experiences to make something genuine. This is harder than it sounds. In fact, this is the hardest. But if you have talent, you can go down this path. As Haruki Murakami puts it, "You are born to be a writer, not made." Trying to be genuine is harder than it seems.

There are some books to help you - and also NaNoWriMo stuff online that can guide you to write a novel.

The best book that you can read on writing is On Writing by Stephen King.
Brandon Sanderson's lectures can be found on Youtube.

So, in summary, TLDR: Write, Write, Write, but then know what you are writing. Identify what makes your story work, and what doesn't.

EDIT - IMPORTANT ONE - I'm not trying to discourage you. I don't agree with Haruki Murakami. I think you can learn to write well, and learn to make complex and important stories. It's often how to present that makes it important - and timing and pacing. If you want, you can send me a convo so that we can talk about your first chapters!

Last edited:

nosinkarma

Hmm, there's a couple of things you could do. The first one is easier, but requires time. The other one is harder, but requires time and talent.

The first is to read and listen to lectures on writing. Or at least understand what makes a story better than the other. What is a narrative technique, and how do authors execute it. What is plot, and what is plot structure, and how is related to your characters? What is in media res, and what is a prologue, where is it necessary, and where it is not.

Now, that's basically a whole semester of Creative Writing. There are many such resources available on Youtube, and the likes. I recommend the one for SciFi and Fantasy, by Brandon Sanderson. But that is a huge commitment, because it is one thing knowing about it, and quite another thing executing it. You will need to practice.

But, to get better in writing, you need to unravel what you are writing, and this is why I think this way is easier than the following.

The second way is of course, writing it out. Reading it back. Doing corrections. Delving into your own thoughts and experiences to make something genuine. This is harder than it sounds. In fact, this is the hardest. But if you have talent, you can go down this path. As Haruki Murakami puts it, "You are born to be a writer, not made." Trying to be genuine is harder than it seems.

There are some books to help you - and also NaNoWriMo stuff online that can guide you to write a novel.

So, in summary, TLDR: Write, Write, Write, but then know what you are writing. Identify what makes your story work, and what doesn't.
:blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary:
Learning is always hard. Why did I sign up for moar school work.

Jokes aside, yes systematic learning of anything is a good way to get gud but that obviously require efforts, time, commitment.

Since last week I have been just Google learning non stop and gosh there is so much to absorb. Also I never had any hobby before this and thus, I feel that sense of accomplishment when I just went ahead and researched a bit more on writing.

Self made exercise. Like I exercise on word prompts. Ex. Tree, orange, table. Basically I choose any random and try to write about it in different writing styles.

Also is the story promising? I mean it is too much to ask just from 2 chapters but, I mean is the writing format too shabby or the choice of words just suck, is Grammer way way down the hole, does dialogue make any sense. Do you feel that the writing is very disconnected?

These are the things that I would like to know more about.

Also thank you for taking your time to advice me. Honestly I have no writing background and English is not my first language (I am sure I am gonna be as bad, if I wrote in my native lingo too :blob_teary:)

Last edited:

witch_sorrowful

Mmm, Monke.
Also I never had any hobby before this and thus, I feel that sense of accomplishment when I just went ahead and researched a bit more on writing.
Yes! Which why I think you will find it useful to listen to someone talk about it, take notes and understand what writing Fiction (specially Fantasy and SciFi) is. It is much like solving a puzzle that you come up with yourself.

Also is the story promising?
The premise is common. I like it. It's a good first attempt at a plot - something that you should have an idea of how to progress. But, I could feel in the first chapter your tiredness at the end of it. The sentences kept getting short, and you were struggling to get over the line. The most important is conflict, and so far I cannot tell the overarching theme because it is only two chapters.
is the writing format too shabby or the choice of words just suck, is Grammer way way down the hole, does dialogue make any sense.
No, I don't think the format is wrong. You start well - things are moving, and movement is good. You start in media res - which is basically in middle of the story - things have already happened, and we are seeing an event in the middle. I was expecting something new to happen in the first chapter - like, they would come across something after they stop: an event, a discovery - but it is fine.

This is something important: a reader expects something out of a story, even the first chapter.

The second thing - too many characters are speaking. It becomes difficult to follow. This comes down to dialogue, and writing dialogue is difficult.
But, not for you! I think you did well. Each sentence drives the story onward, and that is great! You put in conflict (Highlander Southerner); you put in backstory exposition (talking about the past, the relationships, and why they are stopping, where they are going); but the dynamics of the group doesn't come through to me (usually, in a group, many conversations can happen, but when there is a primary conversation, sometimes it can devolve into a longer story, and sometimes people will break up into little pairs to discuss it. This is a complex idea.)

Overall, I like your dialogue. It is used well.

But, I don't see any distinctions between your characters. Each could be a carbon copy of each other - each one is just a burly moustache twirling brute knight. But, you have to ask yourself, is that so? If not, you need to bring it out in the narrative. And think about what sort of voice will you give them. Will they use the same pattern of speech? Again, this is a complex but important idea. You need to consciously practice.

Grammar ... is something you will improve on. I suggest you read something - a proper published book - somewhere and it will help you get the grammar right. Choice of words can improve. Some actions and verbs need to change. You use too many adjectives - lessen the description to a point where the story can flow. Maybe show us observations the characters make.

There is some exposition here that doesn't tie itself well. Exposition is information about the world that the characters are giving. And dialogue is a great way of giving it out. But, readers have finite memory when reading - the more amount of exposition you put, the less likely they will keep it in mind. Instead of expositing, then, you can simply add events that will make the reader curious to scroll down.

Overall, people have still read your story - so you are doing enough to get people to read it! These are points that will help people read it much more smoother than before. And, if you look at all these angles, I think you'll start liking writing as well!

Cheers!

Agentt

Thighs
Yes! Which why I think you will find it useful to listen to someone talk about it, take notes and understand what writing Fiction (specially Fantasy and SciFi) is. It is much like solving a puzzle that you come up with yourself.

The premise is common. I like it. It's a good first attempt at a plot - something that you should have an idea of how to progress. But, I could feel in the first chapter your tiredness at the end of it. The sentences kept getting short, and you were struggling to get over the line. The most important is conflict, and so far I cannot tell the overarching theme because it is only two chapters.

No, I don't think the format is wrong. You start well - things are moving, and movement is good. You start in media res - which is basically in middle of the story - things have already happened, and we are seeing an event in the middle. I was expecting something new to happen in the first chapter - like, they would come across something after they stop: an event, a discovery - but it is fine.

This is something important: a reader expects something out of a story, even the first chapter.

The second thing - too many characters are speaking. It becomes difficult to follow. This comes down to dialogue, and writing dialogue is difficult.
But, not for you! I think you did well. Each sentence drives the story onward, and that is great! You put in conflict (Highlander Southerner); you put in backstory exposition (talking about the past, the relationships, and why they are stopping, where they are going); but the dynamics of the group doesn't come through to me (usually, in a group, many conversations can happen, but when there is a primary conversation, sometimes it can devolve into a longer story, and sometimes people will break up into little pairs to discuss it. This is a complex idea.)

But, I don't see any distinctions between your characters. Each could be a carbon copy of each other - each one is just a burly moustache twirling brute knight. But, you have to ask yourself, is that so? If not, you need to bring it out in the narrative. And think about what sort of voice will you give them. Will they use the same pattern of speech? Again, this is a complex but important idea. You need to consciously practice.

Grammar ... is something you will improve on. I suggest you read something - a proper published book - somewhere and it will help you get the grammar right. Choice of words can improve. Some actions and verbs need to change. You use too many adjectives - lessen the description to a point where the story can flow. Maybe show us observations the characters make.

There is some exposition here that doesn't tie itself well. Exposition is information about the world that the characters are giving. And dialogue is a great way of giving it out. But, readers have finite memory when reading - the more amount of exposition you put, the less likely they will keep it in mind. Instead of expositing, then, you can simply add events that will make the reader curious to scroll down.

Overall, people have still read your story - so you are doing enough to get people to read it! These are points that will help people read it much more smoother than before. And, if you look at all these angles, I think you'll start liking writing as well!

Cheers!
.........eh?

EDIT - IMPORTANT ONE - I'm not trying to discourage you. I don't agree with Haruki Murakami. I think you can learn to write well, and learn to make complex and important stories. It's often how to present that makes it important - and timing and pacing. If you want, you can send me a convo so that we can talk about your first chapters!
......what?
Since when could you use such...specific words?

nosinkarma

Cheers!
Yus I have finally decided upon going for writing lectures. I completed a article on writing style, and researched about Brandon Sanderson and Stephen king. So much knowledge is available for Free online, such great times to live in.:blobtaco::blobtaco:

Ok so I thought I was lacking in dialogue formation but I also missed appropriate narration.:blob_cringe:
Makes sense though, even I can feel that I simply rushed the dialogue scenes, could have narrated character's action more.:blob_hmm:
Too many characters!!:blob_no: so the only way good character synchrony will work if I have really well written ploy. Again good writing!!:blob_hmph:

Grammar, why did I not focus on my English during my school years.:blob_pout:
Character distinction, dynamics of dialogues; I feel like these topics are a bit advanced for a noob like me. I'll eventually address them all,if I am alive by then.:blob_ghost:
One step at a time.:blob_hug:
Make things more happening , that first impression, just something impactful. Yes first impression is the best impression.:blob_okay:

Ahh so much to think and do.
Thank you again so much, why did I never thought about all these aspects.:blob_catflip:

witch_sorrowful

Mmm, Monke.
why did I never thought about all these aspects
Because they are not obvious. As a reader, these things are not immediately obvious to you. You're like, this story is great! Or, "This story is bad, and it's boring." But, readers generally can't tell you why it is boring, or what to improve upon.

Writing is about practice and (I should really remind myself) discipline. Keep writing!
Since when could you use such...specific words?
Since forever