My issue or my opinion about BL and gender bender novel

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
Queer is a catch-all that doesn't erase anyone's sexuality and doesn't force itself as a personal identifier on the people involved. It's also more of a descriptive term amongst the community, rather than a hardcore identity.
That's why "queer" is supposed to be safe to use, but it sucks hearing people describe you as a "straight relationship" when one or more participants are bisexual.

Relationships involving bi folk usually have different dynamics to truly straight relationships, after all.
I was actually a bit confused by the situation originally because you can totally say 'a same-sex relationship' but not really 'a different-sex relationship' which was what I think I would have liked to since 'straight' did seem a bit erasure-ish. I guess I'll really go with queer then from now on if I ever get into the situation where I'll somehow have to actually dub a relationship (never actually had to before).

Oh. Big oof. Were you around for the anti-ace and anti-aro witchhunts that kicked off several years ago? There are a lot of a-holes who went around saying that ace and aro people faced no problems, and were therefore basically just straight, not queer, etc. Would not listen when we (I being part of the ace community at the time) explained the issues we faced.

Ace and aro folk have always been part of the community and anyone saying otherwise is talking out their ass.

But that's maybe too political, so that's all I'll say on that for now...
I don't think so. I didn't really have anything to do with either the ace/aro community or the LGBT community prior to maybe 2017 so it's really doubtful. I do, however, seem to have the 'enjoyment' of seeing people go on and on about that very same thing every aro and ace awareness week now since the day I came out.
I was actually just pondering whether there was a good reason for excluding ace and aro people. I could actually see it a bit since it works kind of differently from other orientations. Especially as far as either heterosexuality and homosexuality go but then I feel like it might have a lot in common with bi- and pansexuality. So I was actually interested in hearing reasons but those never came.

Thanks everyone for pitching in, but I'm mainly responding to yansusu here ^^
Totally not the topic but: Thank you very much for actually getting my name right. I sometimes want to flip some tables because people pretend my second 'Su' isn't actually there. I guess it's because there are too many S in my username but it's maddening.

Also, Yansusu! What are you doing to meeeee? I was so inspired by this topic, I actually fully went ahead and wrote a frigging Prologue of a BL story with a genderless protagonist who never addresses the issue of their actual gender.
This is my belated revenge for getting me to write more volumes for MYMMP (I have two more planned by now :blob_sweat:) and trying to get me to write spin-offs for both Luan Xin and Piul :blob_sir:

And yes, I spent my time writing this chapter-I-am-never-intending-to-continue
I feel tricked! :blob_catflip:

Where the genderless mushroom is the Protag. I haven't actually read it so I can't say how much/little it goes into the perception of the Protag's gender, but I can assure you that if I finished writing the story I made a prologue for above -- I would manage to do it without ever stating what gender the Protagonist actually perceives himself to be.
Truth be told, this is the kind of BL story I never read because they just aren't BL to me. If I had to tag this kind of story and give it a genre. I would throw it in romance and add some kinda tag like 'human/non-human relationship' or whatever. Because it's a frickin mushroom. A mushroom. I think I will go with BL or GL if whatever the author writes about is human/humanoid/human-like but my suspension of disbelief is not strong enough to apply it to a plant, an animal, or an inanimate object. In fact, my suspension of disbelief probably wouldn't be enough to be able to sit through too many chapters of a story where some thingy is basically showing human behavior without being in any way human-related.

As for your prologue, well, I mean I can see what you are going for. Still, since the pronoun the MC uses for himself is 'he' I would go with the perception of a male gender because I would assume the author to have had a reason to use that one instead of, for example, 'they', 'it', or even some kind of made-up word or just consistently using a name for the MC which would all be viable options.
Could that be wrong? Yeah, but as a reader, I do hold the belief that the author isn't trying to mislead me and that decisions (regarding how exactly to write something they want to express) will mostly be made consciously.
Of course, this would only be a prologue and it would totally depend on how the rest of the story turns out. If this is really never addressed more directly, then the use of the pronoun itself would IMO be sufficient basis for me to assume this is supposed to be a male character because if it wasn't, there would have to be a reason for that not to be the case. That reason would have to be stated in the story (otherwise, I'd deem it a plothole). E.g., with that pronoun being the only viable one in the world of the story or the character. That would tell us that the pronoun does, in fact, not tell us anything, and then it would really be open to interpretation. Because if it is not made clear explicitly, our own world's logic would apply just like we'd apply knowledge of 'this world should have gravity' based on our own world's physics. So you'd have to give me a reason to believe that our world's logic (in this case 'the English pronoun "he" is used by a person of male gender') does, in fact, not apply in your story for me to accept that fact and assume something different.
This could actually be different in a few years since the use of pronouns is changing but so far, 'he' still refers to a male person for the majority of English speakers so at this point in time, using this specific word is either giving the reader information or misleading them.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I don't think so. I didn't really have anything to do with either the ace/aro community or the LGBT community prior to maybe 2017 so it's really doubtful. I do, however, seem to have the 'enjoyment' of seeing people go on and on about that very same thing every aro and ace awareness week now since the day I came out.
I was actually just pondering whether there was a good reason for excluding ace and aro people. I could actually see it a bit since it works kind of differently from other orientations. Especially as far as either heterosexuality and homosexuality go but then I feel like it might have a lot in common with bi- and pansexuality. So I was actually interested in hearing reasons but those never came.
Oh, you mean the ace and aro communities still talk about it? Or the anti-folk?

Sadly, those witchhunts were my departure from real ace culture, and kind of the wider LGBT+ community for a long time. I ended up fleeing my online communities due to the devastating effects on my mental health, and I was too afraid to come out even to LGBT+ people for about a year or so following it.

I now probably don't belong in the ace community anymore, but I really kind of miss it. It was fairly chill before the trauma began.

yansusustories

Oh, you mean the ace and aro communities still talk about it? Or the anti-folk?

Sadly, those witchhunts were my departure from real ace culture, and kind of the wider LGBT+ community for a long time. I ended up fleeing my online communities due to the devastating effects on my mental health, and I was too afraid to come out even to LGBT+ people for about a year or so following it.

I now probably don't belong in the ace community anymore, but I really kind of miss it. It was fairly chill before the trauma began.
I think it might be a bit of both? I usually only see that stuff on twitter so it's often people or organizations that post ace- or aro-related stuff, then tons of comments of 'this isn't real', 'all these special snowflakes' yadda, yadda. Every now and then, you'll also see the other side but usually not from the ones that I follow so there isn't much in my timeline or whatever it's called on twitter.
I have to admit that other than there, I'm not really that well-connected to the community anywhere. Everywhere else, I usually just silently read along but don't have discussions anymore because it just turns so taxing with time :blob_pout:

Queenfisher

Bird?
You are essentially arguing here about the beard of the prophet. You really.

Okay.

Elaborate? :blob_reach:

Totally not the topic but: Thank you very much for actually getting my name right. I sometimes want to flip some tables because people pretend my second 'Su' isn't actually there. I guess it's because there are too many S in my username but it's maddening.
:blob_hug:

As for your prologue, well, I mean I can see what you are going for. Still, since the pronoun the MC uses for himself is 'he' I would go with the perception of a male gender because I would assume the author to have had a reason to use that one instead of, for example, 'they', 'it', or even some kind of made-up word or just consistently using a name for the MC which would all be viable options.
Could that be wrong? Yeah, but as a reader, I do hold the belief that the author isn't trying to mislead me and that decisions (regarding how exactly to write something they want to express) will mostly be made consciously.
Of course, this would only be a prologue and it would totally depend on how the rest of the story turns out. If this is really never addressed more directly, then the use of the pronoun itself would IMO be sufficient basis for me to assume this is supposed to be a male character because if it wasn't, there would have to be a reason for that not to be the case. That reason would have to be stated in the story (otherwise, I'd deem it a plothole). E.g., with that pronoun being the only viable one in the world of the story or the character. That would tell us that the pronoun does, in fact, not tell us anything, and then it would really be open to interpretation. Because if it is not made clear explicitly, our own world's logic would apply just like we'd apply knowledge of 'this world should have gravity' based on our own world's physics. So you'd have to give me a reason to believe that our world's logic (in this case 'the English pronoun "he" is used by a person of male gender') does, in fact, not apply in your story for me to accept that fact and assume something different.
This could actually be different in a few years since the use of pronouns is changing but so far, 'he' still refers to a male person for the majority of English speakers so at this point in time, using this specific word is either giving the reader information or misleading them.

Simple ^^.

Also, just before I go into my explanation, the Little Mushroom crowd that sees it as one of the best examples of BL on NUF even now would disagree with what constitutes BL in that case.

1. Language always translates (even from the brain to the page). Translations always only approximate.​

Gender in linguistic expression IS a culturally-based concept, 100%. In English, there are 2. I am Russian, and we have 3 genders there. Other languages have more or fewer. It all depends.

For instance, translating from one of Sepik languages (some of which have 6 genders) I would have to fling it and approach it the same way for any other languages that have more than 2 set genders. Genders are extremely vague concepts when traversing cultures. Some of it is exposed marvelously in translation.

Translator tradition has many methods of translating, one of the coolest ones -- translating the content regardless of cultural background. A lot of Arabic/Greek/Latin translations of philosophy and the Bible were that and gave us plenty of room for exploration in the resulting misconceptions and the question of artistry by translators. (So messy, lol. But thanks to many mistakes those translators made, we have our modern Western culture, it seems).

Even nowadays, some of the translators in my home country follow the Translator School of Thought of Nora Gal where it is considered appropriate to omit and embellish writing if it aids in immersion and beauty of language and art. It is the translator's job to evoke feelings from the reader and make them care, not about being diehard precise. (Her translations of Ray Bradbury are just so... freaking beautiful. It actually disappoints you a little when you read him in original because of how much subtle beauty she added to it. Likewise, there was once a cute meme of a Russian translation of this sentence from Lord of the Rings:

"Boromir smiled" ---> into "The thin shadow of a smile flickered across Boromir's paling, bloodless face".

Which, sure, super wordy. But it's also painfully Russian and some of us enjoy reading stuff like that ^^. As long as it makes the reader empathize and immerse themselves in the story, it's okay to change stuff in the writing).

Thus, following this translator's school of thought, I would translate from a language that has 6 genders into Russian which has 3 genders the way I see most fit to aid immersion, interest, and the beauty of art in question.

I see no reason to do it differently in the story I was proposing ^^. I mentioned many different planets in that Prologue. It might be a culture in which there are 12 genders. I will choose how to approach the MC gender in the story precisely because, while 12 genders is a cool background concept for their culture, it is also not important for this specific MC.

In my prologue, "he" is used because he is programmed to think like a man, looks like a man, acts like a man, has urges and feelings of a man and never bothers to question what the body he is given is programmed with or why. As an author/ translator, I find it appropriate to use "he" to aid understanding because his gender is not relevant to the story.

The story itself is.

2. Empathy and Simplicity​

I had a similar issue with writing about two genderless fish/merpeople once because I made it into a "het love story" and also because I used the word "singing" for the vibratory "silent" waves one of them used. (Which was an issue because some complained it wasn't really "singing" -___-).

Also, from within the story, the main character creature (fish) began it, paraphrasing -- "I do not possess a face or eyes or hands. I don't even have tentacles or fins to tell you my story so that you can understand what I look like. What I am and what my body is like are words that do not exist in your minds. And thus, I am not a girl, and he is not a boy. But for the sake of understanding and the beauty of our love that can traverse oceans -- I will call myself and him these words. In a song that has no words in it, to begin with".

Essentially, I described her with hands and a face and hair. (For when she touches the non-boy fish and cups his face and when he kisses her forehead, etc). Sometimes I would say that she has fins instead or that she has membranous tentacles and stuff. Again, it was a very evocative story about two extremely bizarre-looking fish falling in love (one of them from the Hadean area, so you can imagine how alien that one was!).

I had SO MUCH misunderstandings with some of the readers who didn't get it. And who just called it nonsense outright.

They kept asking me about what these creatures actually looked like and I told them that if I wanted to draw them a picture, I would draw them a picture. This is a story about transcending the understanding of a human and transposing emotions onto a fish that cannot really feel them -- for the sake of art, nothing else. They look TOO alien for us to imagine, so I went for metaphor and allusions instead.

My point is -- as an author, even without wanting to mislead or misinform my readers, I choose the methods to tell my story to be as approachable and empathetic as possible. People who did read it and got what I was trying to do -- told me they were crying at the end (it's a very sad ending) and that the story broke their hearts and that it was beautiful.

:blob_aww:

I wouldn't be able to do it if I wrote about what these creatures are actually like. A story about the blob of milky fat that squirts water out of its rocket-like butthole/mouth that falls in water-based pheromonally-induced anomalous relationship with a skeletal carcass inside a jelly-like membrane that lights up with cadaverous glow to catch its prey. Alas. It just doesn't have nearly the same appeal if you know what I mean ^^.

It's the same for the BL AI from my example. I do not mean to misinform people. English language just doesn't have the words for something so otherwordly.

And I'm not going to use these words just to use them if the MC doesn't even give them a thought himself. Some stories need to omit a lot of stuff to summon a reaction and need to explore a lot of other, nonexistent physiology/mentality/language in order to be understood and enjoyed the way they want to be.

Nobody is really going to read Finnegan's Wake which uses a lot of made-up words and concepts, come on. A little bit of "simplifying" for the audience's sake is sometimes in order.

3. We can't think about what he cannot comprehend

Lastly, it's hard to talk or think about the xfhrdnsk creatures who live on asfhgsdk. They don't exist. I just made them up. In an effort to represent the thinking of a truly a-gender AI who currently inhibits the body of a gay man, I cannot raise the question of his gender there. At all.

Because to him, even thinking about it is like thinking about "xfhrdnsk creatures who live on asfhgsdk". To him, gender does not exist. It is completely a made-up phenomenon to him, so he wouldn't even be able to form coherent thoughts about it, much less address it. :blob_uwu:

If he ever starts thinking about his gender, that would be betraying his nature that cannot compute what it is. Thus, for this a-gender AI, any mention or perception of his own gender would be considered "gendered" in some way. And he would just go

<ERROR>

whenever he starts thinking about it.

Therefore, I am not misinforming -- I am representing the thinking pattern of such a being. ^^ It's scifi, after all. All about imagining the existence of fantastic things.

4. Author's voice =/= character's mind​

This one is simple. I specifically chose Third person POV because it distances me (the storyteller) from the AI who is the actual protagonist.

Okay, now I actually have to go o_o. I have to write my own story, dangit! :blob_blank: But I loved talking about this! And it also reminded me of the Fish story I made, waaaaa...I loved writing it so much and it's still one of my weirdest stories ever ^^.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I think it might be a bit of both? I usually only see that stuff on twitter so it's often people or organizations that post ace- or aro-related stuff, then tons of comments of 'this isn't real', 'all these special snowflakes' yadda, yadda. Every now and then, you'll also see the other side but usually not from the ones that I follow so there isn't much in my timeline or whatever it's called on twitter.
I have to admit that other than there, I'm not really that well-connected to the community anywhere. Everywhere else, I usually just silently read along but don't have discussions anymore because it just turns so taxing with time :blob_pout:
Ah. It was a super traumatic time and, although the initial witchhunts came to an end, that hatred never really died. I see it even in the usually okay wlw spaces I frequent.
Beforehand, we were a quiet lot who mostly made the same one or two jokes about cakes and struggled on occasion with inner-community elitists who thought only asexual people were valid, and that demi and grace people were fakers who were a danger to "real" ace folk. But that was once in a blue moon.
The hatred came on fast and hard. I strongly remember one kid telling us we ought to be systematically gassed and it got passed around the bigots like wildfire.

Since you mentioned wanting reasons earlier - actually, the idea that ace and aro people were "too different" and didn't suffer enough or the right kind of stuff to be part of the LGBT+ community was widely cited.
That's why the use of "cishet" spread a lot at this time. It was used to separate "those dirty cis hetero-romantic asexuals and cis aromantic heterosexuals" from those of us they counted as "one of them". I still tense every now and again when I see it around.
However, we told them all the damn time that being ace/aro was "as bad" as being same-gender attracted for us. For quite a lot of us non-aro ace folk, being ace was a bigger problem than being same-gender attracted, because nobody took that part of us seriously if we weren't banging people.

Some other excuses they used were that all of our suffering was just misplaced homophobia and we didn't get to claim it for ourselves. People came out and spoke about how LGBT+ people were a huge part in inflicting that suffering, though, so it wasn't about inheriting lesbian/gay problems.

Also, the idea that we were too different doesn't make a lot of sense. Our problems were romance and sexuality based. We had overlapping issues. Also, each group in the LGBT+ community is already different as hell - we were just one more eclectic group to add to the pile.
(And, historically, were always part of it. We just weren't named at the time.)

The rest of it was uncoated prejudice like "they're evil and make allosexual people look dirty and sexual!", "they hate us and wish we were dead!" (this was based on a mistake that became a misunderstanding that became a myth), "they're deliberately confusing lesbians and keeping them from their true identities!", etc.

Oh, and also, "What if they take all the LGBT+ resources!?"

It was all shite and it's all shite still.

Anyway, it's really late and I think I've basically entered "old granny talking about the old days" mode, so I should probably go sleep before I get worse.

(As a final note, lurking in communities counts as being part of them for the most part. Reading, listening and learning are engaging, even if no one notices you. I prefer lurking myself these days. Don't have the patience to fight to the death with morons anymore.)

yansusustories

Anyway, it's really late and I think I've basically entered "old granny talking about the old days" mode, so I should probably go sleep before I get worse.
Thank you a lot though! I have to say I really enjoy your old granny mode :blob_aww: As somebody who hasn't been around these things for that long and doesn't really have many people to talk about it with, it's so nice to get the perspective of someone who has been there longer :blob_melt:

As a final note, lurking in communities counts as being part of them for the most part. Reading, listening and learning are engaging, even if no one notices you. I prefer lurking myself these days. Don't have the patience to fight to the death with morons anymore.
Ah, I guess if you look at it this way, that's also true. I guess I sometimes just feel a bit disconnected from all of it :blob_pout:

Also, just before I go into my explanation, the Little Mushroom crowd that sees it as one of the best examples of BL on NUF even now would disagree with what constitutes BL in that case.
I mean, people would probably also try to tell me that 'Legendary Master's Wife' is a wholesome story about a healthy relationship but ... I don't have to agree with that :blob_sweat: Everything has its fans and if other people see it as BL, they totally can as well. Personally, I can't but I'll just skirt around these stories when I see them in the genre. Maybe give them a raised brow while I do so :blob_joy: I guess I might also be a bit extreme in my stance on these things. Other people might be more open-minded there.

My point is -- as an author, even without wanting to mislead or misinform my readers, I choose the methods to tell my story to be as approachable and empathetic as possible.
I think (I'm also gonna keep this short because I still have to edit two chapters and it's already 1 am again :blob_no:) we actually don't think about this that differently. Choosing the method that fits the purpose of the story best is certainly what everyone will try to do. Sometimes, even if we make a conscious effort in that, not everyone will agree that it turned out well. Misunderstandings can naturally occur and everybody has their own perception of what they read. Especially if you go into more philosophical territory and use more poetic language, the barrier for people getting to the same understanding is higher because the knowledge, critical thinking, and language skills among them vary and all of that is necessary to form a certain understanding. So no matter what you do, there is never any guarantee that readers will perceive what you wanted them to perceive or not. And yes, different languages will give us different methods to choose from.

But back to the original question: We wanted to answer whether a story with a genderless protagonist is a BL story. I actually - despite everything we've said - still think that it isn't. We got kinda side-tracked and were finally talking about the question of whether we can actually assume a gender based on the pronouns you use in the story. Now, I guess we might not disagree there either but that might even be beside the point. Because let's get back to what you said before:
The reader, of course, can assume it's a he because of the male pronouns and bodily reactions and behaviors, but that'll be exactly like Ancillary Justice. What reader assumes =/= what the character is.
So, your position is basically, that no matter what method you use to convey your meaning, and no matter what the reader finally thinks is the case, the character would be genderless. But in that case, we come back to the original question: If you have a male person and a genderless person, is that really a same-sex relationship? Or is it - as we've agreed to call it in this thread - actually a queer relationship and is thus going past the scope of what BL would cover?
So, I will maintain that - no matter how you go about it - if the MC and/or love interest is not male, then it can not be a BL story because the basic premise of both needing to be male (I mean you can disagree that that's the basic premise but I think then the genre kind of loses its meaning) isn't met. Instead, if readers assume the character to be male (for whatever reason) while it is actually genderless, that would be their misconception of a story about queer - but not same-sex - romance and readers' misconceptions shouldn't be tagged or put in genres. :blob_blank:

I believe we have come full-circle now :blob_sweat: And I'll go edit now ...

Queenfisher

Bird?
So, your position is basically, that no matter what method you use to convey your meaning, and no matter what the reader finally thinks is the case, the character would be genderless. But in that case, we come back to the original question: If you have a male person and a genderless person, is that really a same-sex relationship? Or is it - as we've agreed to call it in this thread - actually a queer relationship and is thus going past the scope of what BL would cover?
So, I will maintain that - no matter how you go about it - if the MC and/or love interest is not male, then it can not be a BL story because the basic premise of both needing to be male (I mean you can disagree that that's the basic premise but I think then the genre kind of loses its meaning) isn't met. Instead, if readers assume the character to be male (for whatever reason) while it is actually genderless, that would be their misconception of a story about queer - but not same-sex - romance and readers' misconceptions shouldn't be tagged or put in genres. :blob_blank:

I believe we have come full-circle now :blob_sweat: And I'll go edit now ...

The unanswerable question of "what is even male???" is for postmodernists who might deny "male" as it is. In practice, most BLs would answer this question much simpler, and it's this perception of practical efficiency is what I have been using since the beginning, really :blob_hide:.

For the most common defined purposes, "fictionalized male homosexual" or "traditional BL protag" is something that looks/acts/behaves/thinks/perceives themselves like the absolute majority of "traditional BL protags". Or in other words, if we take all of the BL protags and make a statistic out of them, the one who overlaps most will be what we're looking for when we use the label "traditional BL protag".

Since my proposed "genderless protag" would satisfy this criteria of a stereotyped BL protag, it is therefore both a BL story and a BL protag :blob_aww: . No matter how niche BLs can get, there IS information about majority that can still be gleaned from them. It's this majority that I appealed to for the sake of a simplified definition.

Breaking this larger genre into subgenres can be done (and I usually want to!) -- but it doesn't stop it from belonging to the larger over-genre of BL if the author so chooses and can provide reasoning to do so.

I'll go continue writing my chappies now ^^. Good luck with yours!

yansusustories

The unanswerable question of "what is even male???" is for postmodernists who might deny "male" as it is. In practice, most BLs would answer this question much simpler, and it's this perception of practical efficiency is what I have been using since the beginning, really :blob_hide:.

For the most common defined purposes, "fictionalized male homosexual" or "traditional BL protag" is something that looks/acts/behaves/thinks/perceives themselves like the absolute majority of "traditional BL protags". Or in other words, if we take all of the BL protags and make a statistic out of them, the one who overlaps most will be what we're looking for when we use the label "traditional BL protag".

Since my proposed "genderless protag" would satisfy this criteria of a stereotyped BL protag, it is therefore both a BL story and a BL protag :blob_aww: . No matter how niche BLs can get, there IS information about majority that can still be gleaned from them. It's this majority that I appealed to for the sake of a simplified definition.

Breaking this larger genre into subgenres can be done (and I usually want to!) -- but it doesn't stop it from belonging to the larger over-genre of BL if the author so chooses and can provide reasoning to do so.

I'll go continue writing my chappies now ^^. Good luck with yours!
I actually don't think that it works that way. The smallest common denominator between all those 'traditional BL protagonists' should be: They are male. And I'd say that them identifying as male would be what makes them male. Looks, behaviors, thought processes can vary and it wouldn't change that the genre is BL no matter how far they diverge from the 'traditional' part of those protagonists. If you change the gender though, then it ceases to be BL. Like, take a female MC (that is female because she identifies as such), give her all the behaviors and thoughts you'd give a male BL protagonist and you will have a hetero romance instead of BL. And if that is true for a female protagonist (tell me if you don't agree with the thought that doing that with a female MC would have that result), then it would have to hold true for a genderless protagonist just as much.

Queenfisher

Bird?
I actually don't think that it works that way. The smallest common denominator between all those 'traditional BL protagonists' should be: They are male. And I'd say that them identifying as male would be what makes them male. Looks, behaviors, thought processes can vary and it wouldn't change that the genre is BL no matter how far they diverge from the 'traditional' part of those protagonists. If you change the gender though, then it ceases to be BL. Like, take a female MC (that is female because she identifies as such), give her all the behaviors and thoughts you'd give a male BL protagonist and you will have a hetero romance instead of BL. And if that is true for a female protagonist (tell me if you don't agree with the thought that doing that with a female MC would have that result), then it would have to hold true for a genderless protagonist just as much.

But if we use this metric, we are again hitting the wall of "is male defined by what's written in his passport", or "is male defined by how he feels", or "is male defined by his junk..." -- which is not our question to answer. It is too philosophizing and vague and requires tons of literature to sift through for each individual point.

In written fiction, "most common male" would be a certain string of character arc beats, pronouns, adjectives, verbs, and other linguistic phenomena. They would not really look as anything because strings of words =/= actual thing. It is a convention of which strings of words we perceive as male and which as female, although the majority would flock around pronouns. (With added adjectives and verbs to expand that later). Thus, all I'm saying is that it's completely possible to use the exact formula of words that produce an idea of a BL protag in one's head for what is not male. (Provided it's not a troll attempt just for lulz. But even then, strictly speaking, it would still apply if it fulfills and satisfies all the tropes and formulas of a genre).

The author chooses how to frame the words. You say

them identifying as male would be what makes them male

Has Wei Wuxian actually ever identified himself as male on page? Has Lan Zhan? Knowing how little the latter says, he has never actually identified himself as male so the best the reader can do is assume based on the convention of formulaic words on the page. That's what we do in real life too, for the sake of simplicity. Sorry, I don't remember the specifics of MDZS, though :sweating_profusely:. But either way, I don't think that was ever really a significant point in the story.

Most people really just ignore it and go on with the actual plot and character. We look at the strings of text (that are usually pretty formulaic for their respective genres) on the page and we make assumptions.

Thus, if I produce the exact formula for the reader to make assumptions, I can both not write an actual "male" and have him be assumed one for the sake of going on with the story. Like nobody is complaining that one of the dudes in Little Mushroom is a mushroom, I don't think people would complain about the AI BL if it actually fulfilled the surface-level tropes and narrative beats readers expect from a BL.

Also, them defining themselves as male would be NIGH impossible to do in a distant POV. What if I wrote that one instead? I would not have ANY access to their thoughts, only to their actions... I am unsure of how one can identify they are male through actions... :blob_hmm:

:blob_reach: Oh, and I think this conversation has now moved on to... "what defines a genre?" somehow. :blob_no: I think I argued in one of the previous threads that the genre, for me, is defined by its conventions and mainly -- its narrative tropes.

This is where we disagree, I believe. I gather you have a different outlook? ^^

For example, romance = it has to have two people in a romantic relationship where "romantic relationship narrative" implies a different one that takes place in "literary fiction about family dynasties" or "pulp fiction about femsploitation". The point would be, while there are many shades of romantic narrative beats in overall fiction, one that is used in romance has certain criteria that other genres would not follow.

For each subgenre of romance, there would be narrowing criteria and tropes used as well. One of them for BL is -- that the reader would assume the two leads are male based on the tropes and formulas used. But that's it. Nobody said about what they actually are. Only about the base assumptions which such story would lean heavily into to make a point, and especially when it won't ever make fun of you the reader, for assuming wrong. Like Ancillary Justice and those stories about race-less race did.

SailusGebel

Hey! First of all, I'm not against LGBT Community or anyone that could relate in this Discussion.

What I'm going to complain/discuss about are the popularity of the bl and genderbender genre in all novel sites. Are you guys in favor about this genres getting so popular that it's getting annoying? or is it just me? I don't really hate this genres but whenever I searched a novel with a tag of male protagonist, isekai, op mc and etc, this two genres are always the one that is popping up in search results. What do you think?
You may think like that because the fans of these genres are the most vocal and loyal(friendly?) to each other. Their 'community' appears to be much closer. That's why there are a lot of discussions and, overall, attention even to small stories. I can be wrong here, but it's just my feelings.
Am I tired of it getting 'popular'? No, I would say that I mostly feel envy. Envy that other people not so vocal about their feelings towards novels, unlike the fans of BL or GB or whatever else.

Kldran

The biggest problem with trying to use a narrow definition of BL on Scribblehub, is the lack of alternatives. Declaring stuff that's almost but not quite BL to be Romance, is treating the Romance genre just as badly as calling it BL treats the BL genre. Romance is it's own genre and a lot of the weirder things really don't belong in that genre any more than they do in the others. If I could rank tags and genres in order of importance, to better indicate what's a major part of the story and what's not, that'd be pretty great.

On the topic of bizarre stories: I've been working on one where the main character is involved in both an m/m relationship, and an f/f/f relationship at the same time. It is making them horribly, horribly confused. While confusing the main character was my plan, my plan was to have the main source of confusion be something else... but it didn't work out that way. It wasn't until I started writing things that it became clear how shaken the main character's self identity would be by the events that took place, and what's bothering them the most isn't at all what I'd originally planned on.

Staria

You may think like that because the fans of these genres are the most vocal and loyal(friendly?) to each other. Their 'community' appears to be much closer. That's why there are a lot of discussions and, overall, attention even to small stories. I can be wrong here, but it's just my feelings.
Am I tired of it getting 'popular'? No, I would say that I mostly feel envy. Envy that other people not so vocal about their feelings towards novels, unlike the fans of BL or GB or whatever else.

oh really? that's an interesting take... when you said "not so vocal about their feelings towards novels", instead of "novels", did you mean "other genres"?
i wonder if it's that small close-knitted community as a thing that's going on, or if they're close knit, supportive, and vocal because of the stigma, prejudices, injustices, and growing support/encouragement for the LGBTQ in general in recent years. but that's interesting you feel/see it this way. again, maybe it's the ongoing debates for the equality, identity, and rights for LGBTQ and continuing support/acknowledgment that's making the entire subject popular and vocally spoken about, and therefore your target of envy, in the first place.

SailusGebel

oh really? that's an interesting take... when you said "not so vocal about their feelings towards novels", instead of "novels", did you mean "other genres"?
i wonder if it's that small close-knitted community as a thing that's going on, or if they're close knit, supportive, and vocal because of the stigma, prejudices, injustices, and growing support/encouragement for the LGBTQ in general in recent years. but that's interesting you feel/see it this way. again, maybe it's the ongoing debates for the equality, identity, and rights for LGBTQ and continuing support/acknowledgment that's making the entire subject popular and vocally spoken about, and therefore your target of envy, in the first place.
No, I mean, the people I see the most in the forum, and I'm emphasizing, those whom I see the most, are mostly writers of LGBTQ. They as well start a lot of threads.
And when I said novels, I meant novels, not genres. Those who write or read LGBTQ stuff don't exclusively read, or write, only LGBTQ. I've meant that they are more passionate about light\web novels as a whole. They have their own community inside of an already existing community and they are always discussing, sharing opinions, etc. While most of the other users are simply silent readers, they use novels as a means to pass time.
Once again, this is just my thoughts without any kind of statistics, based only on my feeling. And I don't care why they are doing it. I only hope that other people would be more vocal about their feelings.

Aoibh

Mademoiselle
Hey! First of all, I'm not against LGBT Community or anyone that could relate in this Discussion.

What I'm going to complain/discuss about are the popularity of the bl and genderbender genre in all novel sites. Are you guys in favor about this genres getting so popular that it's getting annoying? or is it just me? I don't really hate this genres but whenever I searched a novel with a tag of male protagonist, isekai, op mc and etc, this two genres are always the one that is popping up in search results. What do you think?
I'm actually annoyed that there is not many hetrosexual/BL/FTM(with BL) genderswap novels out there. It is mostly Yuri genderswap, not really my taste, this genre seems to be lacking. would like to see more of that under the genderswap tag tbh.

yansusustories

I actually feel like we are at this point where the discussion is starting to become pointless and we'll just have to disagree. So I'll try to just throw in two (very short) thoughts:
which is not our question to answer
Then we shouldn't tag for gender at all I'd assume. Because if we can't define for ourselves what we see as male, female, agender, or nonbinary, there is no use in applying these to any novels. Which renders the whole discussion pointless.

I am unsure of how one can identify they are male through actions...
Well, let's go by some examples: If the guy at the supermarket misgendered me despite me looking decidedly feminine, I might give him a strange look even if I wouldn't say anything. If the guy happened to gender a trans person right despite them maybe not looking like the gender they are, there might be some expression of joy. If an acquaintance constantly misgendered somebody (whether that somebody was trans or cis), one would likely correct them and - if it doesn't stop despite the correction - become angry, maybe even cut contact with them because it denies a part of one's identity.
In other words: Other people addressing one's gender would create a different reaction depending on how right/wrong they got it. No reaction at all would usually mean 'this answer is right and expected', negative reaction 'you got this wrong, pal', and positive reaction 'you got this damn right! (even though I didn't expect you to)'.

Staria

No, I mean, the people I see the most in the forum, and I'm emphasizing, those whom I see the most, are mostly writers of LGBTQ. They as well start a lot of threads.
And when I said novels, I meant novels, not genres. Those who write or read LGBTQ stuff don't exclusively read, or write, only LGBTQ. I've meant that they are more passionate about light\web novels as a whole. They have their own community inside of an already existing community and they are always discussing, sharing opinions, etc. While most of the other users are simply silent readers, they use novels as a means to pass time.
Once again, this is just my thoughts without any kind of statistics, based only on my feeling. And I don't care why they are doing it. I only hope that other people would be more vocal about their feelings.

Oh yes, i understood and am aware of what you meant in your original post. that people most vocal and write most in the forums/make threads are largely, or a majority, that write or wrote LGBTQ/BL/GL.

i agree that it would be nice if less readers lurked silently reading and voiced more of their thoughts, opinions, and feelings and whatnot for any novel, in any genre or topic, in general. but what's popular is popular, ya know? and i don't see only LGBTQ threads - i see a whole bunch of other topics by people who don't write LGBTQ too. for that matter - and this isn't a comment for SailusGebel, more for the OP and other users who agree with them - i don't see that many BL novels on ScribbleHub at all. i mostly see GL, bodyswap/genderswap, isekai, litrpg, and a host of other things.

Queenfisher

Bird?
I actually feel like we are at this point where the discussion is starting to become pointless and we'll just have to disagree. So I'll try to just throw in two (very short) thoughts:

Then we shouldn't tag for gender at all I'd assume. Because if we can't define for ourselves what we see as male, female, agender, or nonbinary, there is no use in applying these to any novels. Which renders the whole discussion pointless.

Sorry I didn't mean to sound as though I'm not taking this conversation seriously. It's just that I really agree to disagree since (I think?) our methodology is different to a degree we would need to first define terms in order to continue.

And, alas, I don't think people like it whenever I start asking them to define their terms. :blob_blank: Every time I asked in a conversation, the discussion was as good as over. Because most treat it as a "semantics again, uggggh" and refuse to go on. :blob_frown:

In any case, when you said --

The smallest common denominator between all those 'traditional BL protagonists' should be: They are male. And I'd say that them identifying as male would be what makes them male.

-- That was when I wanted to ask for your definition, but I stopped myself because... yeah, it would devolve into semantics. So because your definition was absent, I went off into using my own for my pitch, but I feel like I didn't explain it enough?

Anyway, here's my actual explanation and it's generic for all fictional characters. Not just BL protags ^^.

I think that BL protags aren't (and cannot be) male. They are simulacra of "male" rooted in linguistic code. (As all fictional characters, they are not the real thing and are subject to infinite omissions, assumptions, and interpretation due to that).

So, for me -- this linguistic code has many, many lines and values in it (convention, tradition, bias, feeling, identity -- all factor in what is culturally considered "male" atm). Identity of a male is only one of the many lines in that code, and if its value was set to "=unknown" or "=0", the rest of the lines would still be able to run the code.

:blob_hmm: Does this make sense? (I am really asking because I sometimes feel like I'm tongue-tied and most people don't get my ramblings at all -____-. A genuine anxiety I have, lol).

Or in a metaphor, if BL = ketchup, then removing 1% of it and adding instead 1% basil to it won't stop it from being still largely ketchup. For the sake of efficiency, I would want it to be put into a ketchup bottle, with maybe the added sticker of "May Contain Basil" on the lid.

But not into a Basil Spice Jar with "May Contain Ketchup" on it, or a random container on which it will say "Something new and unique". Because if I want ketchup and it works exactly like it, oh -- really, I'll just call it ketchup for my hotdog needs, and I'll be happy. :blob_sweat:

I hope I didn't turn you of from ever talking to me about BL O_O. I do want to work and help define the genre, but so far, even the base definitions are so different it would be a titanic job to do for people who only come here rarely...

So -- Agree to disagree until this discussion returns for something actually pending. :blob_highfive: Like when we'd actually be given an "agender" tag or "queer romance" genre?

But so far -- sorry for being annoying! I do have a vested interest in all this because I tend to write a lot of characters who a) have some degrees of genderfluid, nonbinary, queer, agender identities, and b) they NEVER acknowledge them for whichever reasons (usually because it's never the focus of the story. Just representation without spotlight).

Which, in the discussions like these -- kind of puts most of my books into a not-BL category... :blob_hmm: And that is worrying to me, yeah! :blob_blank: Because I do not want (and do not try) to write anything other than BL, however weird that sounds.

yansusustories

Regarding these two parts:
Sorry I didn't mean to sound as though I'm not taking this conversation seriously.
I hope I didn't turn you of from ever talking to me about BL O_O
I sure hope I didn't sound totally bitchy in my last message :blob_sweat: I'm unfortunately a very impatient person so if a discussion drags on for several days, I'll either just disengage silently or get a bit snappy. It's not that you're annoying me or anything but I just start to feel like there's a lack of progress and that's a thing I hate :blob_no:

we would need to first define terms in order to continue
I actually think (thought?) that I did this all along. In case I didn't make it as clear as I thought I did, to me, it's like this:

male: person/character who identifies as male
BL: stories that have a relationship between two men at their center

So, a biologically-born man that identifies as male is male. A biologically-born woman that identifies as male is also male (no matter the state of his transition). A man that transmigrates and ends up in the body of a biologically-born woman but still identifies as male is male. A woman that transmigrates and ends up in the body of a biologically-born man but still identifies as female isn't male.
In regards to the genre, let me talk about your ketchup first:
Or in a metaphor, if BL = ketchup, then removing 1% of it and adding instead 1% basil to it won't stop it from being still largely ketchup
Now, tomato ketchup is defined on Wikipedia like this: "Tomato ketchup is a sweet and tangy condiment made from tomatoes, sugar, and vinegar, with seasonings and spices." So, if you remove 1% of it (e.g. seasonings and spices) and add basil instead, the general recipe won't change because it'll still be "a sweet and tangy condiment made from tomatoes, sugar, and vinegar, with seasonings and spices". If you remove the tomatoes though, it'll stop being tomato ketchup at all because those are a hard requirement (same with the sugar, and vinegar). So it would totally depend on what the thing is that you take away.
Similarly, I think that you can't take away the 'male' component of BL because it's, well, Boys' Love. If you don't have Boys (aka some kinda male character) or don't have some type of Love (whether that'll be sexual or romantic or something else) it'll not be BL anymore. On the other hand, everything else (aka the seasonings and spices) can absolutely be changed. Whether you set it in a modern, futuristic, or ancient world, it's BL if the B and L are there. It's also BL whether you have the dense protagonist trope in there or the husband-and-wife relationship trope or whatever, it stays BL as long as you don't change the core ingredients. Additional ingredients can be changed but not the core ones, otherwise, you end up with a different sauce.

Does this make sense?
So, no, to me, it doesn't. I mean, I can see what you were thinking to come up with this definition but I don't think it can still hold true. Because if it was as easy as
Identity of a male is only one of the many lines in that code, and if its value was set to "=unknown" or "=0", the rest of the lines would still be able to run the code.
then as I've said in my examples many times before, you could just use a female character with the same characteristics as what you'd assign a male character and just say 'this is BL'. But it wouldn't be. You can't have a BL novel with a hetero couple, only with a male-male couple. You just can't because the core ingredients are wrong. You would have a different dish, a hetero romance novel.
(Also, I can't believe I'm discussing ketchup with you now.)

Which, in the discussions like these -- kind of puts most of my books into a not-BL category... :blob_hmm: And that is worrying to me, yeah! :blob_blank: Because I do not want (and do not try) to write anything other than BL, however weird that sounds.
Believe me, I absolutely get it. I've told you before that I wrote het romances for many years before I started my first BL novel. At the very least, that was absolutely what I thought I was doing. I was pretty convinced that 99% of my cast were straight as well. But looking back now, I realize that that wasn't the case. The main ML of my very first novel? Bi dude. The main villain? Gay dude. The main couple of the prequel? Gay as well. Most important female supporting character of my first series? A lesbian. Female and male leads of my first published standalone novel? Both aromantic, in fact.
I thought I was writing het romances and I am pretty sure that I wanted to write them because that, in turn, would have validated my assumed identity of being a heterosexual female as well. And when my characters diverged more and more from what I could actually defend as being het, I had a fucking identity crisis, got severe writer's block, and almost wanted to give up altogether.
Looking back now, while I thought I was writing het romances, I wasn't. I put my stuff in the wrong genre (should have been in an LGBT+ one in several cases at least) because it was the only one I knew and I didn't even know about some of the sexualities I was subconsciously covering in them. Yeah, I tagged them wrong but it's alright. I even tagged my own fucking self wrong for almost 25 years. What's a handful of stories in that? I'll just use the knowledge I gained in this going forward.

So, yes, I absolutely get why you're so weirded out by this. Whether your stories are actually BL or rather something else is something only you can decide, my arguments be damned. I have my opinion on what constitutes the genre but I'm not going to point fingers at somebody who thinks differently (people can keep their mushrooms as well if they want to). Even if you would decide it isn't BL sometime in the future, I don't think it'd be bad though. It's just that things change and sometimes we just get a new perspective. That's okay.

tigerine

"Queer" is also my go-to, but the issue is that there are people who aren't on board with reclaiming the slur and all, so we're technically not supposed to use it without permission.

Which sends us back to go round and round again...
People who say "queer is a slur" are ahistorical in addition to being usually pretty terfy, and are easy to ignore.

Queenfisher

Bird?
I sure hope I didn't sound totally bitchy in my last message :blob_sweat: I'm unfortunately a very impatient person so if a discussion drags on for several days, I'll either just disengage silently or get a bit snappy. It's not that you're annoying me or anything but I just start to feel like there's a lack of progress and that's a thing I hate :blob_no:

You're just all right! Do not doubt yourself! I know I can be pretty annoying to people because I usually descend into heavy semantics, but that's only because I am a linguist and I want to make sure I never fall into the wormhole of "we aren't actually disagreeing because we just use the different definitions and are literally talking parallel to each other!"

Most discussions I've had with people stem from being on the different floors of the same building. I feel like this discussion does the same at times. You are talking more on the ethical side (as I see it. Maybe I am wrong there, too) -- whereas I am geeking hard over how words work. I am more into "hacker" things, so to speak. I don't care about how actual humans feel:blob_teary:. I want to dig in humans' brains and see how their wires work, not ask them what they feel about it -- you know?

So you are fine ^^. And thanks for an amazing discussion, by the way!

:blob_no:Sorry it took me so long to answer but I was actually mulling it over in how I wanted to represent my point of view most coherently, and thus, it took a lot of time.

(Also, I was a very bad girl, writing so much on the forum lately. My backlog slipped all the way and I had to fix it stat! Writing >6k words a day to do it was quite... :blob_dizzy::)

Anyway, here is my reply thesis :blob_highfive:

The Definition of "male" in Fiction

male: person/character who identifies as male

Thank you for your answer. I think it's very elegant and can be used in ethical questions about gender and representation. :blobthumbsup: But the reason why I didn't accept it before is because it's cyclical. I.e. it loops back on itself and fails to define anything outside of ethical relation to such definitions.

It's like saying that "blanket = is a kind of a blanket". It needs to point to something outside itself in order to be a proper definition. Because now that the definition is "anyone who identifies as male" it also needs to define what it is that the person identifies "as".

Even if we go for the easier route of defining "male" -- which would be defining it as "anyone that's not female", that puts us back into the self-looping definitions where now "female" has to be defined.

If you said it was a "feels male", I might have accepted it easier on a technicality. Because a feeling does not necessitate definition and can be extremely vague. Like, even without knowing language or understanding other people's emotions (if I were a baby) -- if I feel "sad" or "bored", that's just how I feel. It is 100% internal and does not require external comparison.

Feeling something is a priori and an inborn phenomenon.

On the contrary, if I "identify my emotion as "bored" or "sad"" -- for that, I need external knowledge to be able to identify it as such. Even just labeling it by the name requires external interaction with the world outside of myself. I need to confirm that the label for this vague feeling exists and that, by trial-and-error, I can identify it according to the feeling I have.

To identify the emotions of "bored" and "sad" I need to do something more than just point at a noun synonym. A noun synonym would also necessitate a definition at some point, because nouns of such abstract concepts always need further elaborations.

_____________________​

For example -- the most common definition of "male" is "a human man".

It is also insufficient because now we have to define what "a human man" is so that its definition does not cycle back to "male". After a certain number of iterations in searching among the noun synonyms, we would arrive at how most definitions actually work:

Grouping by sets of characteristics and attributes and the meaning it bears outside of itself.

Which was my definition from the start. Your definition works, but it's one of the many definitions that are grouped around "sets of characteristics". Actually, your definition is pointing at exactly such a characteristic in the list of many.

I understand how my definition is unfulfilling because "everything is defined by its sets of characteristics and attributes"! But that's how it is. The set for "male" can be represented in several distinct groupings, and ones that I really did not want to go into before. Because it acknowledges how vague and contradictory the definitions of "male" can get depending on cultures and zeitgeists. But in short:

There are sets of characteristics of male in political definitions, ideological, ethical, religious, social, economic, biological, neurological, chemical, cultural, linguistic, etc.

There are just too many for us to tackle atm. And it was why I said that I don't want to go into all of them -- but my point was literally that both the political and religious definitions of "male" might cause discomfort to certain groups of this forum and I am already scared a bit that we discuss something like this in the open when so many people might jump our throats at any moment? :sweat_smile:

(I am probably just overly negative about it, and nothing like that would happen because I think SH is one of the more accepting and friendly societies to discuss these kinds of issues in).

Anyway, defining "male" from the real world examples is fraught because we would have to agree which specific definitions from all the many ones we would use and WHY that one and not the others. Because like I said -- some of them contradict the others, and we don't need to go into such discussions here.

Thus, the definition of male I used for the entirety of sharing my thoughts -- is this one:

"A fictional male is defined by a linguistic code based on certain sets of characteristics and attributes".

Since we had to choose one and not the others -- I chose this one because it's literally the only one that makes sense to me since we are discussing fictional males. Not the real ones.

And here is where your position and mine has another branching out, as I feel it.

The Self of a Simulacra

Your definition has this line in it: "identifies as", and I have a big confusion about that... Sorry TT____TT.

Identifying requires the internal act in order to work. Most definitions of "identify" especially in conjunction with "as" quotes "oneself" (or "yourself") as the actor in the identifying process.

Like, Google:
assign (a particular characteristic or categorization) to oneself
regard oneself as sharing the same characteristics or thinking

McMillan dictionary:
to describe yourself as belonging to that group or category
Dictionary.com:
to associate oneself in feeling, interest, action, etc., with a specified group or belief system
Cambridge:
to feel and say that you belong to a particular group
Merriam-Webster doesn't even give a definition under "identify" because the verb as it is cannot be used on oneself without specifying it is.

Now the question -- can fictional characters identify as anything, really?

(Your definition does not use the "is identified" because that is just... recognizing patterns and thus, would still go back to my definition which provides the patterns. Thus, I assume it is referring to "identifies oneself as" or "identifies as" not identifies in general, by some other people who are not the said character).

You might say that some characters can -- but that would be a misconception. Characters do not possess feelings or thoughts. The author says they do. Thus, the person who does the "identifying" usually -- is either the author (who claims the character identifies as something) or the reader (who claims the same).

Even if the character just comes out and says "I identify myself as" in their story -- there will be no proof of them identifying themselves as anything because their words are ALWAYS a translation by the means of author who chooses to tell their story. It would be like me, saying for my friend that they "identify as male" when my friend has no ability to either confirm or deny my conjecture.

I am the actor in this identification and since I have no real insight into my friend's thoughts or emotions -- all I can say is I "claim" they identify as such, but I cannot prove it.

Thus -- fictional characters cannot identify as anything. The author can say they do, but the author =/= the character themselves even if the author is a literal god who knows all thoughts of the said character. It is still going to be a translation between the "perceived person"(character) and the "actual person" (author).

I will give you this: if the character has claimed in some novel that they identify as male, (even if the author was the one who put these words on the page) -- I would accept that as "this character identifies as male". Because we have no other basis to ever interact with a character, and the author's words are law.

But then we have this issue:

90% of all fictional characters in the world, either male or female -- have NEVER identified themselves as "male" or "female" on the pages on their stories. I actually believe this percentage is much higher than 90, but I will apply Good Faith here.

If you claim that they did, then you are implying that the fictional characters can identify as something outside of what is written in their linguistic code (outside of which they cannot even exist in the minds of more than one person, the author). And we have already seen that identifying requires internalization, and the fictional characters do not posses that outside of being "told they do" by the author. I.e. through second-hand information source.

Which does not count as "identification" because identification requires a "self" to do it with.

Thus, I feel like 90% of all BL would not be BL according to the definition you gave because the majority of "male characters" never engage with identification process to begin with.

If the definition of a genre fails to consider 90% of all books in this genre, it cannot be used as the definition of this genre.

_______________________________​

Then again, I feel that the majority of people who would say that a certain character "identifies" as something -- or even "feels as something", are not coming from the actual definition of "identify".

For example, I can say that Wei Wuxian clearly identifies as male even though that's never said on the pages of his BL book. Why can I say that?

It because of my experience based on reality. Wei Wuxian in this case stops being a linguistic code and takes the role of a real, existing man in my mind and I can assume that he can feel things and identify things within himself. Because I have experienced the real men around me behave in much the same manner as he does and thus, I correlate that experience from the real world onto the fictional one.

But the problem here is that it's a shortcut. And a very biased one and is used in all of fiction to fastforward through tedious descriptions of all the trivia about characters and rely on a lot of OMITTED information. Linguistic philosophers spent the last 30-50 years studying exactly that. How these shortcuts form and why they are so intrinsically biased.

The majority of these shortcuts can only work through assumption. I think it's very similar to Reification fallacy and is one of the most curious acts the human mind tends to make.

Thus, talking about fictional males as though they were real would, to me, do a disservice both toward the fictional characters and toward the real people. Because if we equate them, it means we can put the "=" sign between the real person's feelings and actual self and the fictional person's simulation of those, heavily based in bias and assumptions from the outsider's point of view (author/reader).

I usually want to separate these two because giving someone third (author/reader) the full control over the feelings and thoughts of a person perceived as "real" is, frankly, a bit horrifying when we apply this logic to actual people in the real world. :blob_blank: It would mean that "a stranger assumes something about me = is as valid as my own personal identification".

Nooooo...

Omission and Assumption

By their very nature, fictional characters require a lot of omitted information in order to work. The majority of all characters, places, descriptions that exist in fiction are glimpses and flickers of information. Gestalt theory and different laws of Pragnanz seem to correlate with how a lot of fiction works...

We never see the actual full description of characters, but only parts of them -- from which we form wholes based on our experience in the real world. The problem arises when I show you, a mature, educated person -- a picture of Mona Lisa with 80% of its surface removed and you are still able to recognize it. Because you've seen the original. (And I don't mean here actual "you" -- just a figure of speech).

But if I show it to a person who hasn't seen the Mona Lisa, they might not be able to predict or even understand what the picture was supposed to represent. Therefore, you are the one who is wrong in seeing the "80% missing Mona Lisa as still Mona Lisa" -- not them.

They are seeing reality, you are assuming, guided by previous experience.

Our experience is the primary tool of our assumptions in fiction (and reality as well, but that's a different thing). But out experience is also the cause of a lot of bias and prejudice. A lot of assumptions we make are not based on the actual information we are given but on the contamination of this information with out prior experiences.

Thus, most of the time, the information about the male characters your definition uses falls victim to this exact phenomenon. It is omitted, but you assume it is there. When, in reality, it almost never is... (?)

The actual Linguistic code of "male" in Fiction

When I talk about the "fictional males", I want to discard the majority of political, religious, ethical, and societal definitions of "male" in the real world, but I can't.

The reason I can imagine Wei Wuxian as a male is precisely because I have seen countless examples of males in the real world and can equate between these two. So, to some degree, the definition of a fictional male would have to rely on the real world definitions of "male" -- but again, we have many of those.

Thus, I will try to use most of them (prioritizing the linguistic ones, of course) in equal measure regardless of culture/politics/ideology/society, etc. It's not about which ones are correct or most widely-accepted but about those that CAN work for defining a "male character". Based on the ones that we find most common in fictional "males", here are the lines of the linguistic code, showing the specific attributes and characteristics most commonly associated with "males" and that, by running the code, can draw the "image of a male" in the reader's imagination based on their prior experiences in the real world:

• Traditionally-male Naming Convention (John, Fyodor, Chandra, Guatemoc)
  • Male Pronouns (he, his, himself)
  • Traditionally-male Nouns (father, brother, lord, king)
  • Male-associated Clothing and Accessories (polo-shirt+khaki pants, cod pieces, kilt)
  • Traditionally male-attributed situation (all-male barracks, all-male submarine crew)
  • Traditionally male-perceived occupation (surgeon, judge, policeman, cowboy)
  • Traditionally male-attributed looks (short hair, shaved, pronounced musculature, beards)
  • Self-identifies as male
  • Conventionally male-attributed behavior
  • Conventionally male-attributed emotions
  • Conventionally male-attributed thought patterns
  • Conventionally male-attributed chemistry
  • Conventionally male-attributed biology
  • Conventionally male-attributed neurology
  • Conventionally male-attributed social status (known among peers as...)
  • Conventionally male-attributed education
  • Conventionally male-attributed background
  • Conventionally male-attributed meta-role in the story (the pursuer, the aggressor, the instigator)

Please tell me some if you think of any! I think I tried to cover anything that may come up in a book but I am unsure if there are any I forgot.

What I want to draw your attention to is the fact that the majority of these can be easily omitted (the value set to UNKNOWN) or denied (value set to 0) and the code will still continue to run fine, projecting the image of a "male character" into the minds of the readers. I know it from practice because such scientific issues have already been explored and noted.

And some other articles that are... a bit more incendiary in their delivery so I don't want to quote them here. :sweating_profusely: Just Google "gender bias in writing fiction/characters" and you will find some. In other words, when people interact with linguistic code, they jump to assumptions and conclusions VERY fast and the majority of information I listed above isn't needed to project an image of a "male" or a "female".

Or in short -- stereotypes reign, alas.

PART 1 of 3
cliffhanger music

(because the forum made me split them! Sorry)

Last edited: