My MC has the same name as another series (same genre) MC by chance

Yorda

Villainess Yorda the Virtuous Flower of Evil
I've been writing my story An Odd Rose, Love Critical Failure for about 2 months now. The genre is an Otome Game type. I named my villainess MC Garnet Noire Valeria.

The other person's story is The Villainess Will Work Hard For A Good Life After Her Broken Engagement! The genre is also an Otome Game type. They named their villainess MC Valeria.

I just clicked on a chapter link out of curiosity, saw the word Valeria, and then my eyes popped out. I haven't even read more than a paragraph of their story until today.

It's really weird and interesting, but it just makes me feel really unhappy too. Frankly I don't know what to make of it. You know what I mean. My main character from the same genre should not have the same character name as somebody else's main character from the same bloody site.

Statistically unlikely events continuously happen to me like a glitch in my reality. Call me crazy, but I truly believe there is some kind of strange information synchronicity in my life. I don't know what it means. It always makes me feel like I'm going out of my mind.

Here is one example of my fucking weird life.
One time I just started work at a new place. My old boss, who has the same birthday as me, recommended me to work at my new place. My new boss, had the same birthday as me. There was an acquaintance that I had. They knew my friends and they were looking for a job so I recommended that they work with me. When they got hired with me it turned out that they had the same birthday as me too.

There are some different ways you can do the statistics for things like this, but at the end of the day I just throw up my hands when this shit happens and ask what is going on in my life.

Yorda

Yeah, but the same site, the same genre, and the MC villainess too ... it's just god awful.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
deal with it

here have a yogurt

mrsimple

Writer
It's an otome game, right? I wouldn't be surprised with the villainess having an identical appearance either. From what I was told, villainesses have a stereotype identity attached to them. Like the twirly blonde curls that look like sausage links hanging and bouncing around their big heads... That's a look they have, right? :blob_hmm:

Yorda

It's an otome game, right? I wouldn't be surprised with the villainess having an identical appearance either. From what I was told, villainesses have a stereotype identity attached to them. Like the twirly blonde curls that look like sausage links hanging and bouncing around their big heads... That's a look they have, right? :blob_hmm:

I'm just guessing their character has red hair and green eyes, but mine is black hair and red eyes without the curls and the hairstyle varies with the occasion. I'm glad other things are not the same or I would be more upset.

Yorda

I haven't read their story, but it sounds really different than mine from the synopsis.

mrsimple

Writer
I haven't read their story, but it sounds really different than mine from the synopsis.
A few months ago, I gave it a read up to a point. I wanted to get more of it read, but my headaches were getting worse and I had to stop.

keitaro-sempai

The First Will's Origin
I had a few of those awful coincidences, like 2 of my old stories had some ideas used as main plot in a pair of animes plus a manga, and since then people said I was referencing or worse copying those.

Silver_Sky

I've been writing my story An Odd Rose, Love Critical Failure for about 2 months now. The genre is an Otome Game type. I named my villainess MC Garnet Noire Valeria.

The other person's story is The Villainess Will Work Hard For A Good Life After Her Broken Engagement! The genre is also an Otome Game type. They named their villainess MC Valeria.

I just clicked on a chapter link out of curiosity, saw the word Valeria, and then my eyes popped out. I haven't even read more than a paragraph of their story until today.

It's really weird and interesting, but it just makes me feel really unhappy too. Frankly I don't know what to make of it. You know what I mean. My main character from the same genre should not have the same character name as somebody else's main character from the same bloody site.

Statistically unlikely events continuously happen to me like a glitch in my reality. Call me crazy, but I truly believe there is some kind of strange information synchronicity in my life. I don't know what it means. It always makes me feel like I'm going out of my mind.

One time I just started work at a new place. My old boss, who has the same birthday as me, recommended me to work at my new place. My new boss, had the same birthday as me. There was an acquaintance that I had. They knew my friends and they were looking for a job so I recommended that they work with me. When they got hired with me it turned out that they had the same birthday as me too.

There are some different ways you can do the statistics for things like this, but at the end of the day I just throw up my hands when this shit happens and ask what is going on in my life.
it's just a name to be frank there are hundreds with the same name as yours hundreds on hundreds of books Valeria is a somewhat common name as well just make your character uncommon and notable then your character will never be associated with the other novel

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

For first thing, i wouldn't worry. Not like people have a copyright on names. Like you can even change it if it bothers you so much, like to Valerie (one letter change)/or Vivian but i wouldn't bother myself.

second thing...bro it's obvious your life is a lie. Listen to me. You are in a simulation. The world, the people, merely data in a massive machine devised by aliens in an attempt to find how best to conquer the true earth.

You exist, somewhere. But you aren't the real you. Merely a simulation of the real you, stuck here in the machine.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World

Valeria is a really common name when it comes to this kind of genre. Every kind of Latin derived name is, Valeria, Valentia, Olivia, Angelica, ... :blob_evil_two:

maybe you want to name your mc Villainess, 'cuz her mother is Villain and her dad is Ness.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
I had a similar problem with one of my stories as i ended up using common names for my main characters. I changed them up by using a name generator and kept flipping through it, picking out names that sounded nice and uncommon, until i had changed the names.

jinxs2011

Spud Cannon
Tbh, most people want to use 'special' and 'unique' names for their characters, especially their main ones, at least these days. I find that even semi-common names aren't used very often, at least in the genres of books I read. Not many Bobs and Bills, James and Joes. Alternatively, you can turn to older/ancient literature and get names that aren't used anymore.

Yorda

Regarding your birthday... is it in September? Or November? Because if you work your way backwards 9 months... the date of conception would be in December (Christmas) or February (Valentine's Day) which end up being... a very common date of conception, y'know? :unsure::whistle:

This chart seems to suggest my birth month of January is uncommon for birth's in North America. So it is even less statistically likely than I thought. I never thought about the distribution of births by month before; I had an assumption that human births were statistically random and that there wasn't like a mating season lol.

Last edited:

Yorda

Tbh, most people want to use 'special' and 'unique' names for their characters, especially their main ones, at least these days. I find that even semi-common names aren't used very often, at least in the genres of books I read. Not many Bobs and Bills, James and Joes. Alternatively, you can turn to older/ancient literature and get names that aren't used anymore.

I didn't mind too much about using the same names as other stories, but I just never expected this much of a coincidence to occur on the same site ya know. I wasn't trying to make my names super unique. Instead I was trying to give my characters names meaning. All my characters are named by meanings. My heroine is named Lucette because I thought "Graceful Light" would be a good meaning for her role.

ImFiction

If a school class can have 3-5 students with the same given name, then I think it's fine for two separate fictional stories to have protagonists with the same name too. So long as that's as far as their similarities go.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
I didn't mind too much about using the same names as other stories, but I just never expected this much of a coincidence to occur on the same site ya know. I wasn't trying to make my names super unique. Instead I was trying to give my characters names meaning. All my characters are named by meanings. My heroine is named Lucette because I thought "Graceful Light" would be a good meaning for her role.

I never thought she was valorous then. :blob_evil_two: Brave little Garnet.