My Random 3D Inspiration.

Spica66

Apart from digital art, I had been studying HLSL lately. I took me 3 months to learn shader coding from scratch.

During these few years, anime-style 3D has been evolved to the point that it has the potential to become an alternative. With a good shader(s) and models, the artist only has to worry about lighting and stage.

Inspired by miHoYo, Guilty Gear, and Blender's non-photorealistic rendering community (Blender NPR), I tried to replicate Honkai Impact 3rd shader.

This is what in the miHoYo's keynote:
unite-tokyo-20183rd-23-638.jpg

unite-tokyo-20183rd-24-638 (1).jpg

Here's my result in Unity:
unknown-45.png

unknown-47.png

unknown-44.png

I tried to make a shader based on information on the slides. The problem is it's still bad when it comes to blending 3 layers mathematically. Similar to digital painting, you shouldn't add shadow and light with black and white, so the colors have to blend this way. Lights and shadows on the object serve as indicator of tints.

Overall, it was challenging. There are few notable artists manage to create almost identical (in style) scene, compared to digital painting. However, I have so many hobbies/interests so I decided to put this project on hiatus waiting to see this guy's source code and learn from it.

ColinLeung

https://github.com/ColinLeung-NiloCat/UnityURPToonLitShaderExample

Few examples that I considered a good anime-styled 3D:

Edit: If anyone confused: Shader is instructions to tell computer how to draw. Basically, my approach is coding, but it doesn't have to be done by coding. Every approaches require math, to be specific, 3D math.

Last edited:

COLOC_Kid

morphing-state
Apart from digital art, I had been studying HLSL lately. I took me 3 months to learn shader coding from scratch.

During these few years, anime-style 3D has been evolved to the point that it has the potential to become an alternative. With a good shader(s) and models, the artist only has to worry about lighting and stage.

Inspired by miHoYo, Guilty Gear, and Blender's non-photorealistic rendering community (Blender NPR), I tried to replicate Honkai Impact 3rd shader.

This is what in the miHoYo's keynote:
View attachment 6588
View attachment 6589

Here's my result in Unity:
View attachment 6590
View attachment 6591
View attachment 6592

I tried to make a shader based on information on the slides. The problem is it's still bad when it comes to blending 3 layers mathematically. Similar to digital painting, you shouldn't add shadow and light with black and white, so the colors have to blend this way. Lights and shadows on the object serve as indicator of tints.

Overall, it was challenging. There are few notable artists manage to create almost identical (in style) scene, compared to digital painting. However, I have so many hobbies/interests so I decided to put this project on hiatus waiting to see this guy's source code and learn from it.

ColinLeung

https://github.com/ColinLeung-NiloCat/UnityURPToonLitShaderExample

Few examples that I considered a good anime-styled 3D:

Edit: If anyone confused: Shader is instructions to tell computer how to draw. Basically, my approach is coding, but it doesn't have to be done by coding. Every approaches require math, to be specific, 3D math.
bro the anime girl dancing has a weird lip.

Reisinling

From one side, super cool stuff, making this style more available to more people.
From the other side, it's side effects are pretty obvious- even bigger homogenization of styles (literally copying shader files to your blends), especially since I suspect we will get more and more photo-to-anime model style programs.

I hope the end result will be more stuff for me to enjoy... not me stopping enjoying animation due to everything being even more similiar than it already is (I really can't stand how ALL 3d MOVIES LOOK THE FUCKING SAME over the past 10 years)

Spica66

From one side, super cool stuff, making this style more available to more people.
From the other side, it's side effects are pretty obvious- even bigger homogenization of styles (literally copying shader files to your blends), especially since I suspect we will get more and more photo-to-anime model style programs.

I hope the end result will be more stuff for me to enjoy... not me stopping enjoying animation due to everything being even more similiar than it already is (I really can't stand how ALL 3d MOVIES LOOK THE FUCKING SAME over the past 10 years)
But I least I hope they do something with bad 3D in anime. With motion blur, stretching, limited frame rate, noise filter, the result would look decent.

"I really can't stand how ALL 3d MOVIES LOOK THE FUCKING SAME over the past 10 years" yeah, me neither.

Reisinling

But I least I hope they do something with bad 3D in anime. With motion blur, stretching, limited frame rate, noise filter, the result would look decent.

Yeah, really... 3d in most anime is so bad, I seriously have a feeling I could improve it with my miniscule knowledge. But if I get that feeling, and shit ton of very talented people work on this show... that most likely means it's a business side/production issue. Like with that frame rate, 3d capped at what, 12? fps next to real 2d looks super stilted, add a bit of blur and it would go such a long way. But then, maybe they like that look? I've met some people who still think obvious 3d animation look is cool, so...