Resolved My series didn't appear in the trending stories pages.

Jemini

I watched the trending in action for a few days and caught on that the formula was the positive difference between your view count 3 days ago and 2 days ago. Well, my story, "Key to the Void," got 213 views on Sunday and 547 views on Monday. 547 - 213 = 334. However, I'm not appearing anywhere on the 1st 6 pages.

What's more, I'm also seeing some people in who's daily view count went down on as far back as a 5 day trend, but were still on the trending list while I was looking for mine.

I'm guessing something has to have changed in the algorithm here, but did it also completely screw up or something? What's going on exactly?

Mihou

Firefly—
As always, the algorithm for Trending takes ACCOUNT of many other factors such as comments, reader growth, valid reads, favorites; it is not dependent on the growth of your views. Please verify first whether these other factors have increased greatly within the three days, there is a chance it could be a bug, but as always, please verify these factors first before reporting.

Jemini

As always, the algorithm for Trending takes ACCOUNT of many other factors such as comments, reader growth, valid reads, favorites; it is not dependent on the growth of your views. Please verify first whether these other factors have increased greatly within the three days, there is a chance it could be a bug, but as always, please verify these factors first before reporting.
I have gotten a pretty consistent number of comments and rate of new reader growth that remained consistent during this period. That amount just about always lands me on somewhere around the top of page 2, but this time only for some reason I wasn't even appearing as far back as page 6. I could keep looking, but I really can't imagine the rate staying consistent could suddenly have my appearance driven back farther than a 4 page drop just because some other people happened to do better on the same day.

The mere fact that the drop is that extreme is what leads me to believe it may very well be a bug in this case.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Trending's algorythm is not available to public, but it depends on multiple things.

It's not a bug, you just didn't do well in some metrics.

Monk_Origins

Ya, its no bug. Your views are following a consistent pattern, so that means there is no sudden increase. In my opinion, you need to publish 3 chapters on one day to get to trending as you are. Even if view/chapter doesn't increase, the story will appear on new chapters part of the main page 3 times, which will result in your daily increase of page views rising more than x3 of the normal. This alone should be enough to overpower the algorythm to land on top 25. Then again, this is just my educated guess, and there is a reason why algorythm is not open to public. Another tip would be to post question/polls at the end of chapter for the viewers. More engagement=good

Monk_Origins

the algorithm isn't a system but a living entity. its greatest trick in the book is convincing that its a fair and equal system when in reality, its judgement for quality is entirely dependant on how versatile of a whore your story can be. your series must be capable of high torque, vacuum powered blowjob of cliches and troupes from the get go, or it's off to the one-trick pony recycle bin where all the other hopeful whores go.

it craves neither originality nor execution, but by the sheer number of disposable giant anime futa cocks you can cram into one chapter. never mind that their personality can be wiped away with half a napkin, so long as you cram massive mommy tits into the algorithm's face. it doesn't mind. in fact, it encourages it. it doesn't care for arbitrary concepts such as "pedo bait" or "one dimensional character". as long as its a character that resembles a body that is either capable of hardcore competitive procreation or made to invoke one's parental instinct that is able to fill the gaping hole in the algorithm's heart that nothing real it holds ever comes to fruition and distracts the crippling void that is its lifestyle, the algorithm accepts.

care not for development or change. so long as you change the shape of tits and introduce more cliche troupes, the algorithm minds not. your whore needs to do nothing more than to change a wig once in a while and do the exact same thing she'd always done since the pilot chapter. forget the passion of writing. all your whore needs is a checklist of whatever fulfils the algorithm's piss easy wishes and desires, and form coherent sentences out of it. the algorithm consumes quick, but you can write quicker. the algorithm may be a picky eater, but you can be its candy store. the algorithm may be insatiable and ungrateful, but soon you will prevail. you will conquer. you will succeed.

and then, as you pen down the twentieth hermaphrodite lesbian loli elf, put the pen down and look into the mirror. look at the creature before the glass. tell yourself, who really is the monster? and if your answer rings through, you will put one final bullet in the chamber. and you will cock the hammer. and you will pull the trigger.

and that is how the algorithm consumes.

rinse and repeat.
Thanks for the laugh!

Jemini

Ya, its no bug. Your views are following a consistent pattern, so that means there is no sudden increase. In my opinion, you need to publish 3 chapters on one day to get to trending as you are. Even if view/chapter doesn't increase, the story will appear on new chapters part of the main page 3 times, which will result in your daily increase of page views rising more than x3 of the normal. This alone should be enough to overpower the algorythm to land on top 25. Then again, this is just my educated guess, and there is a reason why algorythm is not open to public. Another tip would be to post question/polls at the end of chapter for the viewers. More engagement=good

As I said, the issue is not that I didn't make the top 30 or so this time. It's that it didn't even make the top 200 when it had consistently made the top 30 up until now, even though I did get the same day-to-day increase. That definitely does sound like a bug to me. If it was for the reasons you say, I could maybe believe a drop off of maybe 30 to 50 places, placing me below the top 100 being possible at most. Suddenly disappearing off the list entirely though is where it definitely feels off.

This is not weekly trending, it's daily.

Last edited:

Queenfisher

Bird?
Can't find the topic that mentioned this, but something similar --

I think it's a pagination issue. Your novel is there, but you can't see it if it's falling between the top/bottom of the page, perhaps? I saw this happen several times when I was checking 2 and 3 pages and saw one novel being both the 50th place and the 51st at the same time. A Schrodinger's novel, I guess. The one that was actually on the other spot simply fell through the cracks when you loaded the next page, and thus didn't show...

Plus, depending on the device I'm viewing the trending, it can differ too...

Jemini

Can't find the topic that mentioned this, but something similar --

I think it's a pagination issue. Your novel is there, but you can't see it if it's falling between the top/bottom of the page, perhaps? I saw this happen several times when I was checking 2 and 3 pages and saw one novel being both the 50th place and the 51st at the same time. A Schrodinger's novel, I guess. The one that was actually on the other spot simply fell through the cracks when you loaded the next page, and thus didn't show...

Plus, depending on the device I'm viewing the trending, it can differ too...

That sounds like a far more reasonable and potentially accurate possibility considering the circumstances. Definitely annoying and needs to be fixed, but I am fine so long as I know the issue is acknowledged and being addressed. One day off the list like this sucks, but is not worth making a big deal about. I just don't want it to become a recurring thing.

Jemini

Yes, it appeared on the list today on the 2nd page, just as I would expect it to. So, I think that lends even more credence to the theory it was a paging issue where the story that was 1 place above mine ate my position because I was supposed to be at maybe the top of the 2nd or 3rd page, and instead their story appeared twice with one of those spots being the one I was supposed to be in.

So, yeah, bug. The bug is the paging issue.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Still waiting on that inevitable forum post where someone accuses the other of stealing their place in the rankings followed by the back and forth insults and mudslinging.

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Still waiting on that inevitable forum post where someone accuses the other of stealing their place in the rankings followed by the back and forth insults and mudslinging.
The bad thing about this is that as outlandish as this concept seems I know and have seen levels of ego this huge.

Discount_Blade

The bad thing about this is that as outlandish as this concept seems I know and have seen levels of ego this huge.
Its definitely coming. I'm just waiting. After all the bullshit whining about 1 stars lately, and the amount of entitlement coming from a lot of those posts, I'm completely convinced that eventually, someone WILL have a meltdown about something as stupid as having their high ranking stolen and being replaced. If it weren't for the constant crying earlier, I wouldn't have believed it, but I no longer find the possibility surprising.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
You can't trend for two consecutive days.

Also, this is ridiculous, you're saying that the trending somehow works incorrectly despite that you have no information about how it works?

Discount_Blade

You can't trend for two consecutive days.

Also, this is ridiculous, you're saying that the trending somehow works incorrectly despite that you have no information about how it works?
Personally, I wish people would quit trying to dissect how the algorithm or what-the-hell-ever it's called works. When someone goes into so much detail about what is supposed to be nothing more than an underlying and mostly self-active system, I immediately find the whole situation sketchy.

But I naturally distrust everyone and everything even on good days so perhaps that is just my asshole-ness talking.

Tony

Staff member
I watched the trending in action for a few days and caught on that the formula was the positive difference between your view count 3 days ago and 2 days ago. Well, my story, "Key to the Void," got 213 views on Sunday and 547 views on Monday. 547 - 213 = 334. However, I'm not appearing anywhere on the 1st 6 pages.

What's more, I'm also seeing some people in who's daily view count went down on as far back as a 5 day trend, but were still on the trending list while I was looking for mine.

I'm guessing something has to have changed in the algorithm here, but did it also completely screw up or something? What's going on exactly?
Yes, it appeared on the list today on the 2nd page, just as I would expect it to. So, I think that lends even more credence to the theory it was a paging issue where the story that was 1 place above mine ate my position because I was supposed to be at maybe the top of the 2nd or 3rd page, and instead their story appeared twice with one of those spots being the one I was supposed to be in.

So, yeah, bug. The bug is the paging issue.

Hi, in this case, it doesn't look like it was a pagination issue.

I shouldn't explain how the trending works as it's better that authors don't try to cheat the system but it's definitely not based on views only. I checked to make sure if it was really bugged but it seems to be working as it should.

Nezothecat

Hi, in this case, it doesn't look like it was a pagination issue.

I shouldn't explain how the trending works as it's better that authors don't try to cheat the system but it's definitely not based on views only. I checked to make sure if it was really bugged but it seems to be working as it should.
I like how your name Tony like Stark, the savior of the universe, and the rightful ruler of Winterfell.

Last edited:

Monk_Origins

4jp56u.jpg