My Story Cover Illustration (Story: An Odd Rose, Love Critical Failure)

Yorda

Villainess Yorda the Virtuous Flower of Evil
My first digital illustration made in Gimp over the course of 2 full days with a mouse. I never want to do it again. Dat learning curve.

This is an cover illustration of my MC Garnet. I always wished to host the image somewhere since the little thumbnail image does nobody justice. Maybe I can redirect readers here for the cover art! I've also been trying to learn how to draw (need to improve a lot for anime-ish characters) and use a tablet that I ordered after crying from mouse clicking.

I want to do more characters justice in the future. It feels very rewarding to make my own illustrations, but I think I might hire more talented people with a fitting art style I'm looking for to do a few for me.

My honest feeling for this illustration of mine was just satisfactory. I have some pretty high standards for everything and even doing my best irks me a bit if it's not perfect.

I also thought that it almost looks like a 3D model, but I didn't model it. It is very 2D. Flatter than flat.

Finished Title Page 1.jpg

Last edited:

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Ohohohoho, beware enemies and lowly misguided entities standing in my way, I am coming!

Wretch

Undead men tell tales
My first digital illustration made in Gimp over the course of 2 full days with a mouse. I never want to do it again. Dat learning curve.

This is an cover illustration of my MC Garnet. I always wished to host the image somewhere since the little thumbnail image does nobody justice. Maybe I can redirect readers here for the cover art! I've also been trying to learn how to draw (need to improve a lot for anime-ish characters) and use a tablet that I ordered after crying from mouse clicking.

I want to do more characters justice in the future. It feels very rewarding to make my own illustrations, but I think I might hire more talented people with a fitting art style I'm looking for to do a few for me.

My honest feeling for this illustration of mine was just satisfactory. I have some pretty high standards for everything and even doing my best irks me a bit if it's not perfect.

I also thought that it almost looks like a 3D model, but I didn't model it. It is very 2D. Flatter than flat.

Wow, the first time I did digital art was nothing as good (I also used a mouse and gimp). You really have a bright future if you do intend to pursue this! And a tablet makes everything so much easier, I'm excited to see what happens. /(≧ x ≦)\

Yorda

Wow, the first time I did digital art was nothing as good (I also used a mouse and gimp). You really have a bright future if you do intend to pursue this! And a tablet makes everything so much easier, I'm excited to see what happens. /(≧ x ≦)\

I can draw okay. I took art class from middle school to the end of high school, not much outside of class. I'm not all that experienced though since I never did much graphic stuff after high school. I hardly ever had to do anything art related for years and when I do something it's usually really random. Like learn how to use 3D modelling software to turn a concept drawing schematic into a 3D model. Or something like create a presentation for a science course. I want to get much better at drawing. I've got so much stuff going on right now that I'm not getting very far with it all despite how badly I want to do everything.

I made myself busy, but I need to become productive not just busy! For the glory of fun!

Last edited:

Wretch

Undead men tell tales
I can draw okay. I took art class from middle school to the end of high school, not much outside of class. I'm not all that experienced though since I never did much graphic stuff after high school. I hardly ever had to do anything art related for years and when I do something it's usually really random. Like learn how to use 3D modelling software to turn a concept drawing schematic into a 3D model. Or something like create a presentation for a science course. I want to get much better at drawing. I've got so much stuff going on right now that I'm not getting very far with it all despite how badly I want to do everything.

I made myself busy, but I need to become productive not just busy! For the glory of fun!
Haha, yeah >^)))<~~ just bring a little notepad with wherever you go and doodle when you're bored. It really helps, surprisingly. Some of the best art I've ever done was just a doodle I did at work. ( ̄(ω) ̄) It also helps you to enjoy it and de-stress when you're tired I've found.

LazyBoi

That's very awesome ...can you tell me which software did you use for the illustration?

Yorda

That's very awesome ...can you tell me which software did you use for the illustration?

Even though I used Gimp I can't recommend it. It's just free software and like adobe photoshop. It does some things pretty good, but warping and cage transform really is bad or I'm doing it wrong. Anyways, digital art with a tablet! If I can get good at that it will be really so much better and more time efficient. For people who use gimp, "I made my entire picture with the paths tool and it was hell."

HURGMCGURG

That Guy
Right. Well, you've got two options for my review. My simple piece where I analyse it as an amateur work and then my overly critical version in which I act like I'm looking for a masterpiece. The second one should not be taken seriously. Ever.

First of all, the quality of the image is high. We can see the entirety of the subject in the image, the lines are clean and the image is pleasing to the eyes. I'm not an artist so I could not even hope to make something of this quality. The positioning of the arms is good, but it feels like there is something slightly off about her mouth. Either way, great work.

The big problem with the picture is that this is a cover for a story. This means that whatever is in this picture needs to somehow represent or display a part of the story so we can get an idea of what the story will be like. The image displayed is well done, but it doesn't tell us much about the story itself. There are plenty of story covers involving women posing in some dramatic way and while we can guess that this image shows the main character and a little bit of their personality, it doesn't tell us anything about the story, genre, or even style. The lack of background doesn't even give us a hint at the setting. Because of this, I think that while you have made a great piece of artwork, it doesn't work well as a cover for a book.

Wow, would you look at that? That was a really unfair review that should not be taken too seriously.

LazyBoi

Even though I used Gimp I can't recommend it. It's just free software and like adobe photoshop. It does some things pretty good, but warping and cage transform really is bad or I'm doing it wrong. Anyways, digital art with a tablet! If I can get good at that it will be really so much better and more time efficient. For people who use gimp, "I made my entire picture with the paths tool and it was hell."
Thanks @Yorda