need advice on : making novel covers

lilwriterb

are there any rules? will i get in trouble if i edit a photo of a manhwa character for my cover? ₍⑅ᐢ ›̥̥̥ ‸ ‹̥̥̥ ᐢ₎

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
are there any rules? will i get in trouble if i edit a photo of a manhwa character for my cover? ₍⑅ᐢ ›̥̥̥ ‸ ‹̥̥̥ ᐢ₎
No, there's no such rules.

There were some arguments some months back where a reader complained that some authors used copyrighted images without permission, but nothing came out of it. Sure some accusations and bad language was thrown around but that's the extent of it. So go crazy. The site is here to make it easier for you to unleash the kraken, not to limit you down.

Basically, if you use it, it's your own responsibility. The site will not penalize you for doing it, but the site will also not assist you if the copyright owner complains. It's up to you. Have fun on SH.

lilwriterb

No, there's no such rules.

There were some arguments some months back where a reader complained that some authors used copyrighted images without permission, but nothing came out of it. Sure some accusations and bad language was thrown around but that's the extent of it. So go crazy. The site is here to make it easier for you to unleash the kraken, not to limit you down.

Basically, if you use it, it's your own responsibility. The site will not penalize you for doing it, but the site will also not assist you if the copyright owner complains. It's up to you. Have fun on SH.
thank you for your help! I made a cover with an image from a manhwa but might commission a cover so it'll be temporary anyway.
have a great day/night!

witch_sorrowful

Mmm, Monke.
You can edit the character in subtle ways, and claim innocence about its origins.

canva is a good resource if you want fancy font and typography.

Kitsura

No one really cares. Just know that if you get popular enough it might be wise to commission covers because if you start making money from your work the artists will be legal entitled.

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
So basically, get a commission if you have money, use stock images if prideful, or pirate a copyrighted image without permission if shameless. In addition, to emphasize subtlety and add a slice of ownership—use photoshop to write your title on the front with different fonts, while you could also use SNIP and check the canvas by using PAINT 3D so you can slap it in your cover image without having it stretched and blurry.

So, yeah, this thread is damn done.

xluferx

I once heard that you shouldn't worry for covers, specially if the novel isn't written or finished (in case is a published novel either through publisor of self publish) as you might waste so much time thinking on that cover instead of writing, as you write the cover will be revealed to you

Anyways try to avoid copyright

D

Deleted member 45782

Free images for you to use, commercial and personally. Aside from people in those images. Their faq tells you can use it for many things. Here are these sites.
  • Pixabay
  • Unsplash
  • Pexel
There's also Creative Common Images.