Need advices about the pace of my novel

NobleTalon

Hey guys, a reader sent me a pm on discord and asked me to shorten the chapters to make the story advance faster, while at the same time another reader told me to write longer chapters because he liked the story but he found it frustrating to 'not have enough materials to describe everything in the current scene' (his own words). :blob_hmm_two:

If one of you could read my novel (I just released ch.14 so you don't have to spend hours to read everything) and give me an objective review about the pace of the story I would appreciate it.

I tried different word counts from less than 2000 to more than 3000, and for now I feel the most comfortable between 2500 and 3000 words. It gives me enough time to describe a whole scene and prepare what happens next while still not writing a chapter too long and boring.

I understand the people who prefer shorter chapters with fewer details so the story can advance faster, but I'm at a loss when receiving such different opinions at the same time and I don't know who to listen to.

Having a bunch of honest reviews from the forum would help me greatly, as by gathering more reviews about the pace of the story I might be able to decide what to do for the next chapters.

Thanks !

(novel link in my signature btw)

NobleTalon

Right now I'm writing for fun because I enjoy it, but as I'm a new writer I don't know how fast the story should go. I guess I'll just stick with the same word count and wait later to change it once I receive enough reviews

When we read a story, it is easy to judge it. It's only when we start writing that we realize how hard it can be sometimes lmao at least that's the case for me :blob_catflip:

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
well try adding but not too mu8ch, on character thoughts. but no 99% character thought and 1% plot
But since its your first, go at your own pace. learn from your mistakes, and make it better

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 54065

Right now I'm writing for fun because I enjoy it, but as I'm a new writer I don't know how fast the story should go. I guess I'll just stick with the same word count and wait later to change it once I receive enough reviews
Know your audience first. For whom you would like to have your story read. See, from my experience, most teenagers prefer fast-paced works, while young adults like quality over quantity and mostly don't mind the pace whether they be slow or fast.

Also, the genre you write on says much about your pace. If it's a slice of life, then it's bound to get slow and relaxing. If it's isekai, it depends on what type of isekai you write. And since you're writing an action isekai, your preferred pace is fast.

But then again, there's a catch. If you go too fast, you miss your chances of world-building, which isekai is noted for. A lot of isekais become generic because the authors immediately wanted to jump to the 'action' parts, and throw the world-building outside the window.

Go too slow, and it becomes a 'slow-life' isekai meant for relaxing. And a lot of adrenaline-pumping, horny teenagers don't like that.

That's why we're telling you to go at your own style and pace.

As for your word count, don't worry. 2.5k - 3k is fine especially for an isekai. I mean, man, you need to explain a lot of settings here and there, and you don't want a chapter dedicated only to explaining the mechanics of your world--much more if it's multiple chapters for explanation only, unless it's a generic one. (For comparison, my isekai went from 2k - 6.7k words in a single chapter; nowadays, my chapters are 4k on average...)

When we read a story, it is easy to judge it. It's only when we start writing that we realize how hard it can be sometimes lmao at least that's the case for me :blob_catflip:
A sad reality. A lot of young readers nowadays have short fuses, impatient and spoiled.

Last edited by a moderator:

IDKWtWrite-San

Projecting 'Unreliable Narrator' Tag
Depends on genre my bro just like Hans said If
you're story on the lighter side go slow and make it relaxing, if you're on the action type of things, it's either you increase the pace or slow it down depending on world-building , it's history , the sub-characters , relationship of the mc, etc. 🤔

That's what I think in my opinion as an enjoyer of many genre even though I also write for fun . Man, writing your own story but sometimes can't imagine it and write it is pretty hard.

Deeprotsorcerer

Skeletal Eromancer
Consider this a bookmark, will get to you after I get to everyone else I've left hanging 😅, but in general, you want to be very careful about suddenly shifting your pacing unless the problem is actually a lack of description/sensory stuff.

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
God, I remember when I was first listening to people's feedback, and on rr of all places. It was a big mistake. But it had one benefit of making me aware of how some people perceive fiction, and what are their expectations.

And that's also why I stopped caring for any praise and popularity my stories might have.

NobleTalon

Thanks for your answers ! :blob_salute:

Also, the genre you write on says much about your pace. If it's a slice of life, then it's bound to get slow and relaxing. If it's isekai, it depends on what type of isekai you write. And since you're writing an action isekai, your preferred pace is fast.
My story is more about mixing sci-fi with fantasy, the Isekai part isn't common as it is not about an Earthling teenager getting hit by a truck and sent to another world with op skills, in fact my MC is the weakest of his squad for now and he got seriously injured and crippled during his first fight lmao

I wouldn't say that I want to make it realistic because it is not, but I don't want to make my MC op as it would ruin all the character development I prepared for him. Even me as a reader, I prefer when the characters slowly build up their strength

you're story on the lighter side go slow and make it relaxing, if you're on the action type of things, it's either you increase the pace or slow it down depending on world-building , it's history , the sub-characters , relationship of the mc, etc.

I'm starting to get the hang of it, mixing both a slow pace during world-building and make it faster during combats and fight phases

in general, you want to be very careful about suddenly shifting your pacing unless the problem is actually a lack of description/sensory stuff.

Yes, that's why I asked on the forum. The novel is still young as I released 15 chapters and I started writing not even 2 weeks ago, so until it gets more visibility and readers I still have a small margin to change this kind of settings

And that's also why I stopped caring for any praise and popularity my stories might have.

Can't agree more tbh, I don't really mind about the popularity as I'm writing for fun but I do care about readers reviews, that is why I was so confused when the same day I received two totally opposed reviews

YS_og

I could only add one thing. No one can tell you the proper length as every chapter in a real novel never follows same word count. You end it where it needs to, be it 2.5k today or 4.5k next time followed by a 1.5k. I mean, do what you gotta do. If the story is interesting I think EVERYTHING falls in place for the reader regardless. And to agree with others above, yeah, can't please all.

Before my 2 rewrites my story was 500 chapters, now 800-1500. Kinda hard, but by fleshing out descriptions, more character growth, and *cough* system screens *cough*

D

Deleted member 54065

Thanks for your answers ! :blob_salute:

My story is more about mixing sci-fi with fantasy, the Isekai part isn't common as it is not about an Earthling teenager getting hit by a truck and sent to another world with op skills, in fact my MC is the weakest of his squad for now and he got seriously injured and crippled during his first fight lmao

I wouldn't say that I want to make it realistic because it is not, but I don't want to make my MC op as it would ruin all the character development I prepared for him. Even me as a reader, I prefer when the characters slowly build up their strength.
Ah, in that case, you really can't avoid the 'slow-paced' parts since you will need to show how the characters hone their abilities. And that's fine, really...and in my opinion, even better because it makes their goals much worth it--to them and the serious readers.

@SakeVision's words are true. Before, I used to care for the opinions of my readers. And I still do, but not much anymore. Three years of writing (online), 11 books, and tons of salty comments later, I learned to pick what I need from the feedbacks to polish my work even more.

See, I got plans for my story, and I write what I wanted to write. While listening to the readers can be beneficial, pick up the feedback that is aligned to or answers the questions according to your plan.
God, I remember when I was first listening to people's feedback, and on rr of all places. It was a big mistake. But it had one benefit of making me aware of how some people perceive fiction, and what are their expectations.

I did the same mistake when I published in 2019-2020. And started to doubt myself on my ability to write.

But, just as you said, the people's perception on fantasy, especially on Original English Light Novels (OELN). It led me to a conclusion that while sites like RoyalRoad (RR) and ScribbleHub (SH) are good places to showcase my work (at least, reader-wise), audiences are still on the process of accepting OELNs as a separate genre.

Hence, I reuploaded my works in other sites when I had the chance. 😁

Last edited by a moderator:

Temple

If you're going to develop your MC slowly, then go worldbuilding/character development route. If it's pure wish fulfillment, then there's no need to slow down to develop character, just make him kick everyone's ass. After settling on what you want to 'sell' to the reader, next be aware that not everyone will like it (those who want pure wish fulfillment for example won't like that), but be resolved to stick with it.

For example, my story is mainly psychological, so it has a ton of introspection and character interactions. When people first came across it, they were clamoring for action,etc. I ignored them and just continued with my thing even though my story was getting hit with low ratings (that was RR obviously, SH people are mostly chill.)

Tl;dr. Be clear on what you're selling. You can't sell to everyone.

Speed running the pace

Deeprotsorcerer

Skeletal Eromancer
1646187690968.png

*Ahem*

I'm here finally. As far as the pacing goes, I have no complaints, it's good. Your previous reader did hammer the nail on the head when they mentioned that you "didn't have enough materials to describe everything in the current scene" unfortunately. The problem is particularly difficult to pin down because in some instances the scene is lost due to repetitious explanations that take up bandwith you could have used to paint the scene while in others you just don't provide enough sensory details or narration to deliver a full picture.

Try to avoid repeating things that have already been said, especially when they were said just a few paragraphs ago, and especially when you're tempted to do so once in the narrative, then again through dialogue. Next, whenever you can do so in a way that doesn't disrupt your flow, incorporate more senses than sight and touch in your scenes, Void Rifters' immersion is already severely weakened by the amount of time it spends on frontloaded explanations of the Process and worldbuilding, it is absolutely vital that you give us something to make us willing to sit through all of it. I'd have less complaints if you delivered your exposition with A+ tier literary language or if the delivery of B213-84's emotions snagged me, or if the technobable was captivating, but for me... it just wasn't, and for everyone else who isn't hooked by these factors it's a big ask to have them stay around for the fourth mention of the Scayla being of unnatural construction because we know that already.

Entertain me, or give me a reason to care.

Do take my criticism with a grain of salt, though; you're doing an admirable job and appear to have more than a handful of people who like your work, just because I'm turning up my nosehole at it doesn't mean as much as you, I, or a dog named Blue might be assed to believe.

Write on!