Need Help on Settling Conflict

Shaiyamine

Im working on a very short story. The premise is that the kid loves mermaids and her parents take her to this aquarium show to see the mermaids. However they dont make it to the show. Their car gets into an accident and the parents both die protecting their daughter. So now the kid is blaming herself for liking these mermaids and for wanting to see them which led to the accident.

I cant seem to find words to say. Like what can I say? To a kid who lost her parents and blames herself for it what can I say so that she can start to forgive herself and move on?

She doesnt necessarily have to forgive herself right away but I dont know how to start the point where she forgives herself.

SleepingFox

She doesnt necessarily have to forgive herself right away but I dont know how to start the point where she forgives herself.

This is simply based on my own experience, but I don’t think that’s something someone forgives themselves for.

There are several choices for resolving it.

They learn to live while blaming themselves. (Potentially convincingly themselves that they aren’t to blame, but always being a physiological shadow.)

Or they shift the blame to another cause. (Aka the driver of the accident, society, etc)

Or they hole up and simply ignore it, never thinking about it again...

How people deal with difficulties is how they are defined.
Only a saint could potentially completely forgive themselves.

The way you resolve it shows a lot about their character.
This isn’t really a setting conflict question, but a question about characterization.

Last edited:

HonestMistake

Fall in love with a mermaid? Have trauma hating herself for falling in love with what she considers to be one of the reasons her parents died? Slow dramatic resolution through love of her mermaid partner? Just shooting quick ideas here.

officepony

As was stated by the first poster, this isn't something one can naturally forgive themselves for without some external influences. Typically resolution comes in three forms for this type of case (all externally influenced):

1) Seeing a psychologist or someone who is experienced in the kind of mental suffering that a person is going through. Usually, the resolution comes in the form of either correlation to what the two communicate about (i.e. there are many things that could have killed them, anywhere, any time, the important thing was that they were living to their fullest, etc. or something like, there was meaning in them having brought you there and you should know it was love that allowed you to survive of some such nonsense).

2) Finding a way to "Repent/Repay". Usually, this comes in the form of helping someone else through either something similar to what they are suffering or something that held value to the ones they lost.

3) Someone takes care of them and slowly leads them to a different kind of life. This works by someone being there for them constantly to help them through the suffering, usually a loved one, or someone who hold the person who is suffering in great regards. This in turn slowly leads the suffering person to regard that person as more important than themselves and will continue to seek to better themselves for that person, never really forgetting what trauma they hold but no longer letting it dictate their lives.

These are the three most common methods to resolve this type of trauma from the most orthodox to the least orthodox.

Shaiyamine

This is simply based on my own experience, but I don’t think that’s something someone forgives themselves for.

There are several choices for resolving it.

They learn to live while blaming themselves. (Potentially convincingly themselves that they aren’t to blame, but always being a physiological shadow.)

Or they shift the blame to another cause. (Aka the driver of the accident, society, etc)

Or they hole up and simply ignore it, never thinking about it again...

How people deal with difficulties is how they are defined.
Only a saint could potentially completely forgive themselves.

The way you resolve it shows a lot about their character.
This isn’t really a setting conflict question, but a question about characterization.
Fall in love with a mermaid? Have trauma hating herself for falling in love with what she considers to be one of the reasons her parents died? Slow dramatic resolution through love of her mermaid partner? Just shooting quick ideas here.
As was stated by the first poster, this isn't something one can naturally forgive themselves for without some external influences. Typically resolution comes in three forms for this type of case (all externally influenced):

1) Seeing a psychologist or someone who is experienced in the kind of mental suffering that a person is going through. Usually, the resolution comes in the form of either correlation to what the two communicate about (i.e. there are many things that could have killed them, anywhere, any time, the important thing was that they were living to their fullest, etc. or something like, there was meaning in them having brought you there and you should know it was love that allowed you to survive of some such nonsense).

2) Finding a way to "Repent/Repay". Usually, this comes in the form of helping someone else through either something similar to what they are suffering or something that held value to the ones they lost.

3) Someone takes care of them and slowly leads them to a different kind of life. This works by someone being there for them constantly to help them through the suffering, usually a loved one, or someone who hold the person who is suffering in great regards. This in turn slowly leads the suffering person to regard that person as more important than themselves and will continue to seek to better themselves for that person, never really forgetting what trauma they hold but no longer letting it dictate their lives.

These are the three most common methods to resolve this type of trauma from the most orthodox to the least orthodox.
Thanks for the help! I have little to no experience with writing about trauma. These helped a lot :D

Piknos

Y'know, usually mermaids are usually seen as sentient beings. So having them caged up is kinda strange. Why not have her in a grief scene at the aquarium trying to reconcile her self blame and getting the idea to start a movement to free mermaids? To be honest most people in grief just need an outlet and do something other than devote time to their thoughts, and freeing an entire species seems like a pretty big something to me. She could become a woman on a mission.

Maybe she will eventually realise that she's not living the way her parents would want her to, that she has to let go of them for her to move on. This would of course be after several years of counselling and some major turning points in her life that give reasons as to why she shouldn't feel guilty. In my opinion though, this is the usual stereotypical "everything worked out well, wow, how (un)expected" so it's pretty boring.

Another idea would be to involve her in something grand, like an organisation to notices she's a young orphan, and hence practically alone in the world, takes her and moulds her into something robotic. Some soldier/assassin or whatnot. Something that doesn't require emotions. After brainwashing her she could struggle from two different aspects in her personality, the human side that remembers the grief she holds (because that's the most poignant one) and the one newly produced from the training she received. Personally, I don't think this fits very well into your story, it's more of a nature vs nurture kind of thing rather than focusing on a girl dealing with something no child should handle. But hey, I'm not writing the thing.

Other than that, the whole self blame thing isn't something that can be readily cured... Unless you find something or someone to blame it on it won't just go away.

Or, y'know, if you want to take the long scenic route and dive into the deep end you could show her gradually breaking down, falling into depression, punishing herself (self-harm as a way to temporarily alleviate some guilt, maybe through those whip thingies or by exhausting her body over its' limits, pain to forget and the exhaustion because everything blurs and fades away once you're that tired). She'll probably go through a drug/alcohol phase once her body adapts its tolerance to pain and tiredness. It is just another way to escape reality after all. Eventually she'll kill herself because she can't go on anymore. The highs have become lows and she can't stop her emotions from overwhelming her anymore. So she'll decide the only outlet is to kill herself. If she's a religious person maybe she can think that hell would be better suited to punish those like her. Or maybe she just wants to forget. If she's into reincarnation it'd just be like hitting the reset button. No more pain, no more memories. A clean slate so to speak. Maybe she can go via drowning? Or perhaps (if mermaids are carnivores) bleeding herself out and letting them devour her body. Seems symbolic in a way I can't quite grasp but hey, just spitballing here.

So yeah, a few ideas, but nothing really quite notable. Most of it is really just something to distract herself with. Pain fades with time, if it's treated well. If not it'll fester and spread until it consumes. Good luck on your novel.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Im working on a very short story. The premise is that the kid loves mermaids and her parents take her to this aquarium show to see the mermaids. However they dont make it to the show. Their car gets into an accident and the parents both die protecting their daughter. So now the kid is blaming herself for liking these mermaids and for wanting to see them which led to the accident.

I cant seem to find words to say. Like what can I say? To a kid who lost her parents and blames herself for it what can I say so that she can start to forgive herself and move on?

For a kid, these things usually leave a lasting effect. Ai-chan knows a girl who was bullied at school during elementary days 20 years ago and to this day has not left her house at all. So much so that simply taking a step outside her house gave her a heart attack. No joke, this really happens. She couldn't even leave the house to attend her father's funeral. Even her husband had to move into her parents and do all the chores outside the house because she couldn't get out, not even to buy grocery.

The rule of 'time heals all wounds' does not apply to kids. Kids cannot get out of their dilemma on their own. Left to their own devices, they wallow deeper and deeper into their own darkness, not knowing how to get out. In this case, you need to introduce a new character or use an existing character to slowly but forcefully change the kid's world. The kid will still blame herself for her parents' death, but step by step, she will learn to accept the past and move forward, with the help of this person.

For inspiration, watch Sounds of Music.

Repentance doesn't work either, because they're kids, and repentance is something only adults know how to do. Sure, kids can also repent, but they need parents to tell them what to repent about and how to repent. They cannot repent on their own, just like how a kid who was never taught right or wrong will grow up doing bad things because they didn't understand those were bad things. Repentance is a fairly adult idea. If a kid maybe 4 years old breaks a vase, will he repent? The answer is, it depends on how he is brought up. If he's brought up being scolded like trash for every mistake, he will likely keep quiet about it and try to hide the evidence. If he's brought up to admit to his mistakes, he will likely go to his parents and told them that he broke the vase, and the parents will tell him how he can make up for the mistake. If he wasn't brought up to deal with mistakes, then who knows, maybe instead of hiding it, he picks up the shards and throws them at other kids while laughing histerically instead.

Last edited:

Shaiyamine

Y'know, usually mermaids are usually seen as sentient beings. So having them caged up is kinda strange. Why not have her in a grief scene at the aquarium trying to reconcile her self blame and getting the idea to start a movement to free mermaids? To be honest most people in grief just need an outlet and do something other than devote time to their thoughts, and freeing an entire species seems like a pretty big something to me. She could become a woman on a mission.

Maybe she will eventually realise that she's not living the way her parents would want her to, that she has to let go of them for her to move on. This would of course be after several years of counselling and some major turning points in her life that give reasons as to why she shouldn't feel guilty. In my opinion though, this is the usual stereotypical "everything worked out well, wow, how (un)expected" so it's pretty boring.

Another idea would be to involve her in something grand, like an organisation to notices she's a young orphan, and hence practically alone in the world, takes her and moulds her into something robotic. Some soldier/assassin or whatnot. Something that doesn't require emotions. After brainwashing her she could struggle from two different aspects in her personality, the human side that remembers the grief she holds (because that's the most poignant one) and the one newly produced from the training she received. Personally, I don't think this fits very well into your story, it's more of a nature vs nurture kind of thing rather than focusing on a girl dealing with something no child should handle. But hey, I'm not writing the thing.

Other than that, the whole self blame thing isn't something that can be readily cured... Unless you find something or someone to blame it on it won't just go away.

Or, y'know, if you want to take the long scenic route and dive into the deep end you could show her gradually breaking down, falling into depression, punishing herself (self-harm as a way to temporarily alleviate some guilt, maybe through those whip thingies or by exhausting her body over its' limits, pain to forget and the exhaustion because everything blurs and fades away once you're that tired). She'll probably go through a drug/alcohol phase once her body adapts its tolerance to pain and tiredness. It is just another way to escape reality after all. Eventually she'll kill herself because she can't go on anymore. The highs have become lows and she can't stop her emotions from overwhelming her anymore. So she'll decide the only outlet is to kill herself. If she's a religious person maybe she can think that hell would be better suited to punish those like her. Or maybe she just wants to forget. If she's into reincarnation it'd just be like hitting the reset button. No more pain, no more memories. A clean slate so to speak. Maybe she can go via drowning? Or perhaps (if mermaids are carnivores) bleeding herself out and letting them devour her body. Seems symbolic in a way I can't quite grasp but hey, just spitballing here.

So yeah, a few ideas, but nothing really quite notable. Most of it is really just something to distract herself with. Pain fades with time, if it's treated well. If not it'll fester and spread until it consumes. Good luck on your novel.
For a kid, these things usually leave a lasting effect. Ai-chan knows a girl who was bullied at school during elementary days 20 years ago and to this day has not left her house at all. So much so that simply taking a step outside her house gave her a heart attack. No joke, this really happens. She couldn't even leave the house to attend her father's funeral. Even her husband had to move into her parents and do all the chores outside the house because she couldn't get out, not even to buy grocery.

The rule of 'time heals all wounds' does not apply to kids. Kids cannot get out of their dilemma on their own. Left to their own devices, they wallow deeper and deeper into their own darkness, not knowing how to get out. In this case, you need to introduce a new character or use an existing character to slowly but forcefully change the kid's world. The kid will still blame herself for her parents' death, but step by step, she will learn to accept the past and move forward, with the help of this person.

For inspiration, watch Sounds of Music.

Repentance doesn't work either, because they're kids, and repentance is something only adults know how to do. Sure, kids can also repent, but they need parents to tell them what to repent about and how to repent. They cannot repent on their own, just like how a kid who was never taught right or wrong will grow up doing bad things because they didn't understand those were bad things. Repentance is a fairly adult idea. If a kid maybe 4 years old breaks a vase, will he repent? The answer is, it depends on how he is brought up. If he's brought up being scolded like trash for every mistake, he will likely keep quiet about it and try to hide the evidence. If he's brought up to admit to his mistakes, he will likely go to his parents and told them that he broke the vase, and the parents will tell him how he can make up for the mistake. If he wasn't brought up to deal with mistakes, then who knows, maybe instead of hiding it, he picks up the shards and throws them at other kids while laughing histerically instead.

Thank you thank you <3
Again big help for me

I hope I can give this story some justice. Thank youuuuu