Need openion

Nirokuro

*Slaying tigers*
Hi it's me again and i wanted to know how my dnd games sounds like from other people prespictive, for instance i use 5e ruling in calculation and general things, but i did add some game elements by myself like the magic affinity and ranks, i also made thier mechanics and made a specific character sheet for my games, i don't use encounter maker and calculator because i did add races and classes from anime to my games, to make it more anime oriented, saying it again i made all needed information, also i opened the way for players to ask to add a new race or class and we basically do a discussion to make sure that the new class isn't made of a class and subclass but named with style, so thinking that i wanted to start making paid games by that is it worth 3$ price, knowing that any price said is for person by section, and i am not that expert at dming only 5 campaigns, so i can't ask for more than 3

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
I tried it and found out that dnd system doesn't work well with fictional stories, unless edited so heavily it's unrecognizable
Think about it. Your mage has only limited selection of spells, and limited uses. They can cast fireball once a day, magic missile twice, summon familiar for a few minutes once, etc. Then they need to rest for at least 8 hours.

Sounds like fun risk management in theory, would be fucking annoying from writing standpoint to arrange the plot in a way that isn't forced that wouldn't screw your characters up.

Nirokuro

*Slaying tigers*
I tried it and found out that dnd system doesn't work well with fictional stories, unless edited so heavily it's unrecognizable
Think about it. Your mage has only limited selection of spells, and limited uses. They can cast fireball once a day, magic missile twice, summon familiar for a few minutes once, etc. Then they need to rest for at least 8 hours.

Sounds like fun risk management in theory, would be fucking annoying from writing standpoint to arrange the plot in a way that isn't forced that wouldn't screw your characters up.
I already edited such things by making a system for spell acceptance the player do invent thier own spells or use 5e spells and i grantee i am a good judge at least, the system of magic affinity was made to restrict the breaking of the spells balance also strong or specific spells require the character to do a certain feat or maybe learn it from a Rare but i left the level and amount of the spells as 5e and with the fire power the player did choose himself the spell slots became no problems from my prespictive i try to make a system that suit more fictional stories than standard dnd

skribe

It only becomes a problem when they're battling constantly. If battles are measured then it should work fine. It depends if you're taking a more realistic approach or more superheroish. With the later you can adapt the ruleset to match, which I believe op has already done.

Nirokuro

*Slaying tigers*
It only becomes a problem when they're battling constantly. If battles are measured then it should work fine. It depends if you're taking a more realistic approach or more superheroish. With the later you can adapt the ruleset to match, which I believe op has already done.
Well i do tend to use realism real to help people get heroish approach if they are creative and worked thier brain enough with no hint, but let's say you are and electricity user applying electric chargers to metal like a dagger will surely make it hotter in real life so with some feet like trying to use a shocking grasp spell on a coiled chain i will tell them that
"You just fell it get way hotter"
Which Return us to eddy current in real life obtaining that information with others and taking some information for example former adventurer u can make weapons that is made specific to produce great heat using coil structures
(And that what i mean by i tend to adapt to player to show them the game is living and dynamic while i also balance such things)

skribe

Well i do tend to use realism real
Then it shouldn't be a problem. Anything that is underpowered they wipe out quickly. Anything overpowered they can run away from. It's where the combantants are closely matched that becomes the issue, and that just makes good drama and develops character.

Nirokuro

*Slaying tigers*
Then it shouldn't be a problem. Anything that is underpowered they wipe out quickly. Anything overpowered they can run away from. It's where the combantants are closely matched that becomes the issue, and that just makes good drama and develops character.
Then what do you think of the price is it too much? Sorry I am not used to using dollars yet so i don't know when something is expensive or not

Psycholor

Writing Trash

Goblin Slayer.

EDIT:

Goblin Slayer is an example of a plot that uses the D&D limited spell slots and still tells a cohesive story. Often it is used as a plot element; the spells are quite powerful, but their limited use forces characters to strategize instead of just spam fireball; the same holds true in D&D if the DM and players are not braindead.

As for the original post, 3 dollars per session, or 3 dollars per person per session? Either way, that's rather cheap for paid DM'ing. Paid DM'ing is also drastically different from DM'ing for friends or randoms. For one thing, you have a lot less power over the players; kicking bad actors becomes a bit difficult. People willing to pay for a DM would also expect certain things, and you will find that the 5e market is over saturated.

Last edited:

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
Goblin Slayer.

EDIT:

Goblin Slayer is an example of a plot that uses the D&D limited spell slots and still tells a cohesive story.

Yes, a plot ridden with holes and convenience, maybe. And of course, the mc isn't a spellcaster.

Also, dnd system isn't just spells. It's also stuff like armor class. Goblin Slayer's gimmick of wearing a helmet wouldn't matter so much as helmets don't account to AC that much at all, and it wouldn't make a difference.

But it's all besides the point. I was talking about using literal dnd system in books, disclaiming that it won't work unless it's heavily edited, which is exactly what Goblin Slayer's system is. DnD didn't invent limited spell use anyway, it just restricted it in such a way that makes sense in a game, but little sense in a story.

Example: Your heroes need to act quickly and now, but can't because they are wounded and out of spells, they need to sleep 8 hours before venturing forth. So you rip the hair out of your scalp trying to write a plot in such a way that they either don't get wounded or don't need to act, just because a restrictive game system made for tabletop requires you to.

Last edited:

Mephi

I'm not sure what is being asked here? Are you asking if people want you to post you dnd games to read? Or use the dnd system as a litrpg? Something else?

Like, the advice is different depending on what is wanted...

Nirokuro

*Slaying tigers*
I'm not sure what is being asked here? Are you asking if people want you to post you dnd games to read? Or use the dnd system as a litrpg? Something else?

Like, the advice is different depending on what is wanted...
Is it ok to be paid using modified rule and system not and official game

Echimera

Your heroes need to act quickly and now, but can't because they are wounded and out of spells, they need to sleep 8 hours before venturing forth. So you rip the hair out of your scalp trying to write a plot in such a way that they either don't get wounded or don't need to act, just because a restrictive game system made for tabletop requires you to.
Is that really that different from a situation that doesn't have a D&D system in the background?
Even without the rules, wounded (and exhausted) people wouldn't (and shouldn't) be able to just keep going indefinitely just because the plot demands it, otherwise there is a serious risk that the plot looses all stakes.
The only real difference the rules make would be the specific numbers it adds, like the 8 hours of sleep, instead of just eyeballing how long they need to rest.