Editing Need Some Advice on Rewrites

• Thread starter Deleted member 54065
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 54065

See, I have a story (uploaded here before too) that pisses off a lot of readers because of how the characters' behavior with regards to each other is written.

Well, let me explain first that it was written back when I was an 'emo kid' with lots of edgy philosophy within me (and angry at the world around him because it's cool and shit), hence the characterization of the main male character.

Now, I realized, yeah, the feedbacks are right. Even the 'me' now is cringing at that work I did way back in 2008 (and only finished a volume out of 9 last 2019).

So my concern is, I want to overhaul its earlier chapters. As in a complete do-over of characters and interactions...however, I already posted it in some sites.

How do I change it? Do I take it down and reupload as a fresh, new work? Or just edit the chapters and upload the resulting new ones? I'm afraid I'll confuse my readers with the second option (even with an explanation), but I'm also concerned they might lose interest if I took it down and reup the new version.

Thanks for the answers!

Corty

Spaghetti Monster
I would do it fresh. Either change the old one's title, detailing what is going on in the synopsis, or give a completely new title to the rewrite. But it also depends on the ammount of things you are going to change.

My honest opinion is that I would most certainly start it from fresh and upload it as a new story. From my own experience, when I started to rewrite a 16 year old story of mine, I changed so many things in the end, they were barely resembling the original work. Only the main plotline remained the same and some names.

D

Deleted member 54065

I would do it fresh. Either change the old one's title, detailing what is going on in the synopsis, or give a completely new title to the rewrite. But it also depends on the ammount of things you are going to change.

My honest opinion is that I would most certainly start it from fresh and upload it as a new story. From my own experience, when I started to rewrite a 16 year old story of mine, I changed so many things in the end, they were barely resembling the original work. Only the main plotline remained the same and some names.
Thanks! Well, I think I won't change the title much, though add something that sets it apart from the original...what do you think?

As for the changes, it changes the characters fundamentally, so it's a major one. And I'm afraid there'd be lots of additional chapters and paragraphs.

Corty

Spaghetti Monster
Thanks! Well, I think I won't change the title much, though add something that sets it apart from the original...what do you think?

As for the changes, it changes the characters fundamentally, so it's a major one. And I'm afraid there'd be lots of additional chapters and paragraphs.
Then I would say you must make it into a new book! :blob_nom: Even if the title remains the same if it is explained that one is an older version, etc, linking the new version, it could also serve as an extra advertisement if nothing else :blob_cookie:

D

Deleted member 54065

Then I would say you must make it into a new book! :blob_nom: Even if the title remains the same if it is explained that one is an older version, etc, linking the new version, it could also serve as an extra advertisement if nothing else :blob_cookie:
Hmm...I guess that can work; it's easier that way. 🤔 Thanks for this! 😁👍

lumiel

I'm also agree that you should start it fresh. Just treat your previous posted works as a draft or beta chapter that supposed to be edited later into much much better stuff later.

You can also treat your previous posted stories as lore material, which can be used later if you want.

Missivist

You wrote the story that was in you then.
Write the story that is in you now; it's probably not even the same story.
On the other hand, you're free to plagiarize yourself wherever it helps.