Implemented New chapter notifications for novels on my reading lists.

xiaomangisbusy

A tentative suggestion.

I just realized that my readers don't get notifications for new chapter updates of my novel and I would like to make that possible.
It is bothersome to ask them to follow me as an author separately and I have to make a personal post on my profile every time I publish a chapter to prompt a notification for them. Another downside is that for authors with multiple ongoing novels, these profile posts can annoy readers who are only interested in the updates of only one novel by that author.

I also think it would be a good feature to have as it would encourage lurkers/casual readers to make accounts in order to receive 'new chapter published' notifications of novels that are on reading lists.

Edit: *after some discussion with others... (BTW. This post is just a compilation of multiple people's ideas. I thought what they were saying was reasonable, so I helped post it. So ya'll please debate without me, I'm just conveying these ideas. Not trying to passionately crusade and go to war for a new feature lmao)

Some more detailed options/suggestions this feature could have in consideration of some potential issues that could arise:
1. Ability to turn on/off notifications for individual novels on your reading list.
2. Making a separate tab like Reading List and Release Filter would make it easier to filter out compared to other notifications on the site and will keep the main profiles clean. Notification flags there can appear like they do on the main profile notifications -- but since they are separate, they won't be mixed up and spam the account without reason. Maybe giving these notifications a different color (green?) would also help with making it cleaner and more accessible.
3. Perhaps to prevent spam/we can do compressed updates for novels that update multiple chapters within a 24hr period or simply give daily notifications like: "You have xx New Chapter Updates on Your Reading List"

I understand that all of this is a work in progress and it may be too complicated to implement, but I feel like some of the current features aren't exactly intuitive for new or casual readers. So I'm suggesting this with the idea that it may attract/retain new users and readers due to the increased convenience.

Maybe something like the image below? Or maybe add another tab next to the bell symbol with a "!" or "📓" symbol?

Attachments

• Updates_Tab.png
    Updates_Tab.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

TunTun

This idea makes the reading list even less effective by making readers ignore it. [because they will just look at notifications ]

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Not gonna happen. This will just flood people with notifications if they follow multiple stories and don't check every hour, which defeats the whole point of this update.

Readers can check their own Reading List Manually, there is no point in adding a notification system that does the same thing that the Reading List already does.

Vister1

My life is too structured for something like this to matter. It'd actually be distracting or outright annoying. I visit at roughly the same time everyday to check my reading list and catch up reading the chapters. Then scroll through the release pages for fresh meat. Notifying me at times I don't have time to come read the chapters would just irritate/frustrate me. Don't need it!

Flashwolf96

Incorporating this in a way where readers have to enable notifications on specific novels in order to get them would help with the issue of notification floods, like the OP said in their edit. Plus, an option to disable release/update notifications entirely would be of use to those who don't like the idea.

Personally, I think ease of access is important for sites like these. The option of checking the reading list manually should be there of course, but I'd much prefer to keep up with novels through a one-click solution like notifications.

Not that I keep up with many novels in the first place, but, well, you know :blob_melt: In any case, you have my vote.

Delver

RR has the option of sending you an email when a story updates that you can toggle on and off [defaults off]

It's been very useful to me.

lambchap

This has been discussed many times already with the said problem of flooded notifications. But having an Optional Notify Me Button/Toggle seems to be a good idea in resolving this.

Most authors don't really have the time to post on their profile when they upload a new chapters. Instead, most of their time are spent on writing, checking for chapter comments, or dreaming when we'll be trending lol. As someone who's both a reader and author in this site, I'm too lazy to go to the author's profile and click Follow. I'd rather talk to them in the comments.

I don't know how difficult it would be to implement this feature as I'm no programmer. So whether it'll happen or not, I still love SH. ;)

Agentt

Thighs
As always, a good idea but difficult to implement. Let's see what Lord Tony says

UniUrchin

I also like this and was surprised when ScribbleHub didn't have this feature.

AO3 also has an optional (send me an email when a story updates), wordpress can send followers notifications/emails with new posts, fictionpress can do this... pretty much all the major sites have this optional capability. This is really helpful for me because normal people don't check ScribbleHub every day.

It would be nice to be able to toggle notifications by novel too. Sometimes I really want notifications on a particular novel but not the other ones.

I find it kind of annoying when some authors post chapter updates on their profile because it's impossible to filter it out from the regular profile conversation. It makes me want to unfollow them, but honestly there needs to be a way to separate chapter alerts from normal profile conversation/announcements (normally this is done by options that can toggle).

AliceShiki

This is really helpful for me because normal people don't check ScribbleHub every day.
Just read the updates in the days you do check Scribbly then?
It would be nice to be able to toggle notifications by novel too. Sometimes I really want notifications on a particular novel but not the other ones.
Put the novels you want a notification for in a separate reading list, then subscribe to the RSS Feed of that Reading List.

UniUrchin

Just read the updates in the days you do check Scribbly then?
It's more like I don't really want to come to Scribbly unless a novel that I want has updated, if that makes sense?

Like I don't log onto AO3 at all unless I get an email saying that my favorite series updated, which happens like once every 2-3 weeks.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
most of these conflicts can be solved if there's just the option to TOGGLE such notifications. pacify the purists and the skeptics, no?

UniUrchin

As always, a good idea but difficult to implement. Let's see what Lord Tony says
Well it's actually really simple.

Most sites have a (Bookmark) function and a (Subscribe) function on each novel.

(Bookmark) is pretty much the equivalent of SH's Reading List. You can access a page listing all your bookmarks, and often times that page will say which novels have updated. Personally, I don't really use these lists very much unless I forgot which was the last chapter I read.

(Subscribe) is a different option that people often click on if they went to get notifications from the novel. Often, this is email notifications (although it has to be configured in the user settings), although I guess it could also link into the alert system.

AliceShiki

It's more like I don't really want to come to Scribbly unless a novel that I want has updated, if that makes sense?

Like I don't log onto AO3 at all unless I get an email saying that my favorite series updated, which happens like once every 2-3 weeks.
I get what you mean, but it is in the site's best interests that you check the homepage regularly to find new stuff, so I don't see why it would be a particularly good idea to add that.

Besides, checking your Reading List once a day takes like... 30s? You can afford this much.

UniUrchin

Besides, checking your Reading List once a day takes like... 30s? You can afford this much.
It gets really unwieldy if you're reading on 3-4 different sites and multiple smaller blogs. Checking each one individually eventually starts to get annoying, and most people end up just stick to one or two of their favorite sites.

And honestly SH isn't really good for BL.

If it weren't for one or two authors, I can definitely forget to come here for many months.

Anyways, I personally just find it really helpful to get emails in my inbox. It reminds me that there was this story I liked, and sometimes there are authors who update really slowly and it's nice to be informed that they were updated when I'm not checking SH every day. Honestly, I think it's really only dedicated readers who are logging onto their novel sites every day, and IMO they're sort of a minority compared to the casual readers who float by and binge and leave.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
I think I hear the @BL_Palace cry in the back ... :blob_sweat:

Anyway, I am usually on every day so I'm not really passionate either way but I do see how in the scenario you described with following stories on different sites and some stories updating very slowly, this would make sense. Although alerts on the site itself (what most people seem to be asking for) wouldn't really help with that and we'd really need to go for emails for that. I've just checked the main site settings in regard to that and realized that apparently, we don't get email notifications for anything? Maybe at least a summary once a week that one could opt-in for would be a nice idea in that regard.

bafflinghaze

OHHH AO3 user too! Yesss I love that AO3 sends me emails....But the bookmark system on SH (and NU) is also really good IMO and something that AO3 kind of misses (aka you can bookmark but you have to edit your bookmark as you finish reading). I sort of wish there was at least an rss option, so that you can subscribe that way

If it weren't for one or two authors, I can definitely forget to come here for many months.
Technically a different topic from the thread, but this is a reason why many authors post on multiple websites. You might be able to find a website with the same story being posted that is easier for you.

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
Ability to turn on/off notifications for individual novels on your reading list.
It'd be pretty nifty to have this as a feature, no lie. After all, SH is meant to be a hub for hosting written novels, so it'd make sense to have a toggle for subscribed work and the types of notifications we'd like to receive as readers or consumers. I'd like to think it can be added as a selling point for the site, too - something to entice more users to make accounts and come back.

It's a win-win for all parties if it can be developed. This gets an upvote from me. Good feature!