Implemented New chapter notifications for novels on my reading lists.

xiaomangisbusy

A tentative suggestion.

I just realized that my readers don't get notifications for new chapter updates of my novel and I would like to make that possible.
It is bothersome to ask them to follow me as an author separately and I have to make a personal post on my profile every time I publish a chapter to prompt a notification for them. Another downside is that for authors with multiple ongoing novels, these profile posts can annoy readers who are only interested in the updates of only one novel by that author.

I also think it would be a good feature to have as it would encourage lurkers/casual readers to make accounts in order to receive 'new chapter published' notifications of novels that are on reading lists.

Edit: *after some discussion with others... (BTW. This post is just a compilation of multiple people's ideas. I thought what they were saying was reasonable, so I helped post it. So ya'll please debate without me, I'm just conveying these ideas. Not trying to passionately crusade and go to war for a new feature lmao)

Some more detailed options/suggestions this feature could have in consideration of some potential issues that could arise:
1. Ability to turn on/off notifications for individual novels on your reading list.
2. Making a separate tab like Reading List and Release Filter would make it easier to filter out compared to other notifications on the site and will keep the main profiles clean. Notification flags there can appear like they do on the main profile notifications -- but since they are separate, they won't be mixed up and spam the account without reason. Maybe giving these notifications a different color (green?) would also help with making it cleaner and more accessible.
3. Perhaps to prevent spam/we can do compressed updates for novels that update multiple chapters within a 24hr period or simply give daily notifications like: "You have xx New Chapter Updates on Your Reading List"

I understand that all of this is a work in progress and it may be too complicated to implement, but I feel like some of the current features aren't exactly intuitive for new or casual readers. So I'm suggesting this with the idea that it may attract/retain new users and readers due to the increased convenience.

Maybe something like the image below? Or maybe add another tab next to the bell symbol with a "!" or "📓" symbol?

Attachments

• Updates_Tab.png
    Updates_Tab.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
A tentative suggestion.

I just realized that my readers don't get notifications for new chapter updates of my novel and I would like to make that possible.
It is bothersome to ask them to follow me as an author separately and I have to make a personal post on my profile every time I publish a chapter to prompt a notification for them. Another downside is that for authors with multiple ongoing novels, these profile posts can annoy readers who are only interested in the updates of only one novel by that author.

I also think it would be a good feature to have as it would encourage lurkers/casual readers to make accounts in order to receive 'new chapter published' notifications of novels that are on reading lists.

Edit: *after some discussion with others... (BTW. This post is just a compilation of multiple people's ideas. I thought what they were saying was reasonable, so I helped post it. So ya'll please debate without me, I'm just conveying these ideas. Not trying to passionately crusade and go to war for a new feature lmao)

Some more detailed options/suggestions this feature could have in consideration of some potential issues that could arise:
1. Ability to turn on/off notifications for individual novels on your reading list.
2. Making a separate tab like Reading List and Release Filter would make it easier to filter out compared to other notifications on the site and will keep the main profiles clean. Notification flags there can appear like they do on the main profile notifications -- but since they are separate, they won't be mixed up and spam the account without reason. Maybe giving these notifications a different color (green?) would also help with making it cleaner and more accessible.
3. Perhaps to prevent spam/we can do compressed updates for novels that update multiple chapters within a 24hr period or simply give daily notifications like: "You have xx New Chapter Updates on Your Reading List"

I understand that all of this is a work in progress and it may be too complicated to implement, but I feel like some of the current features aren't exactly intuitive for new or casual readers. So I'm suggesting this with the idea that it may attract/retain new users and readers due to the increased convenience.

Maybe something like the image below? Or maybe add another tab next to the bell symbol with a "!" or "📓" symbol?

Feature was implemented here: https://forum.scribblehub.com/threads/new-features-reading-list-alerts-user-stats-and-more.7075/