New Glossary + Other Features

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
I joined today and also tried the glossary thing (nice feature, btw!). I could add new categories but I couldn't add a new item. I get the form when clicking on "Add New Item" at the top but after filling everything out and clicking on "Add Item" at the bottom, nothing happens. It's the same for Firefox and Chrome. I've also tried deactivating addons but that didn't help either.
Is anyone else having this issue or already knows how I can get it to work?

Edit: Another curious thing I noticed is that I can't choose a category when filling out the form if I've opened the Glossary from the menu at the side. It works though if I open it in the menu at the top.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
In the case of FireFox, I have no addons. And the network tab doesn't show anything failing to load... weird : /

I also tried virtualizing windows in virtualbox (just in case) and chrome 65, same issue : /

Ahhh!! Please check this:

Another curious thing I noticed is that I can't choose a category when filling out the form if I've opened the Glossary from the menu at the side. It works though if I open it in the menu at the top.

It seems like it'll work if you click the "glossary" tab from the top and not use the left sidebar menu. I'm able to recreate the problem so I'll fix it ASAP but for now, you can click the "glossary" tab instead of using the left sidebar menu.

I joined today and also tried the glossary thing (nice feature, btw!). I could add new categories but I couldn't add a new item. I get the form when clicking on "Add New Item" at the top but after filling everything out and clicking on "Add Item" at the bottom, nothing happens. It's the same for Firefox and Chrome. I've also tried deactivating addons but that didn't help either.
Is anyone else having this issue or already knows how I can get it to work?

Edit: Another curious thing I noticed is that I can't choose a category when filling out the form if I've opened the Glossary from the menu at the side. It works though if I open it in the menu at the top.

Is it working now? I just checked https://www.scribblehub.com/series/16599/oh-my-fate/glossary/ and it's all there. As for the glossary clicking from the left side problem, I'll fix that.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

It seems like it'll work if you click the "glossary" tab from the top and not use the left sidebar menu. I'm able to recreate the problem so I'll fix it ASAP but for now, you can click the "glossary" tab instead of using the left sidebar menu.

Is it working now? I just checked https://www.scribblehub.com/series/16599/oh-my-fate/glossary/ and it's all there. As for the glossary clicking from the left side problem, I'll fix that.

Yes, when I click on top it works, it triggers admin-ajax.php with all my categories being sent in it. When I click on the side, nothing is triggered and it doesn't work.

Tony

Staff member
Yes, when I click on top it works, it triggers admin-ajax.php with all my categories being sent in it. When I click on the side, nothing is triggered and it doesn't work.

Both links should work now, including the sidebar.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
Both links should work now, including the sidebar.

Yey it works! All good!

What about adding more than 1 category? Is that something for consideration?

Tony

Staff member
Yey it works! All good!

What about adding more than 1 category? Is that something for consideration?

You should be able to add as many categories as you want. When I checked your novel, you had three custom categories. Is this what you mean?

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
You should be able to add as many categories as you want. When I checked your novel, you had three custom categories. Is this what you mean?

I mean I want to add multiple categories per item. So for example, if I add main character to volume 1 characters and volume 2 characters, I want it to show up on both.

It probably would be even nicer if there was BB tags of [Volume 2 character only]Character evolved[/Volume 2 character only], in this way I can have progressive info added.

I don't want to maintain the main character in every category, so having them show up in all categories I want would be nice.

The purpose here is I don't want for someone to click characters and see spoilers for other characters as they scroll or places and events. In this way someone just clicks on the volume they are interested and can see the events. The tags would make it even easier cause then I can even update character information in 1 place without spoiling.

Tony

Staff member
It probably would be even nicer if there was BB tags of [Volume 2 character only]Character evolved[/Volume 2 character only], in this way I can have progressive info added.

Something like...

Code:
[spoiler title="Volume 1 character only"]TEXT HERE[/spoiler]

[spoiler title="Volume 2 character only"]TEXT HERE[/spoiler]

???

If so, that BB tag already exists and it works but it's basically just a spoiler with a title. You can name your spoilers and just add your info in it.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
Something like...

Code:
[spoiler title="Volume 1 character only"]TEXT HERE[/spoiler]

[spoiler title="Volume 2 character only"]TEXT HERE[/spoiler]

???

If so, that BB tag already exists and it works but it's basically just a spoiler with a title. You can name your spoilers and just add your info in it.

I guess I can use spoiler tags to some extent, though it'll be annoying for people to open all the spoiler tags manually.

Not to mention I can't hide people and places that way : /

What I'm hoping for is like:

Volume 1 characters
[Shiro]
[Kuina]
[Ryo]

Volume 2 characters
[Shiro]
[Rex]

Shiro record in volume 1 would have her background, volume 2 would have her background + changes to her in volume 1 and so on.

yansusustories

It does but only with a work-around. Let me describe the two ways I tried this:

First Method (didn't work):
  1. I click on "Create" in the menu at the top
  2. I pick the series I want to make a glossary for and click "edit"
  3. I go to the Glossary tab and use "Add New Item"
  4. I write the entry and click on "Add Item"
-> This didn't work regardless of how often I tried.

Second Method (did work):
  1. I click on my username in the menu at the top and click on "Your Profile Page"
  2. I go to "series" and pick the series I want to make a glossary for
  3. On the main page of the series, I click on "edit" in the upper right corner of the synopsis
  4. I go to the Glossary tab and use "Add New Item"
  5. I write the entry and click on "Add Item"
-> Strangely enough, this worked. I even tried it several times and (disregarding that I sometimes had to click twice for it to go through) it always worked. (The formatting is sometimes a little off though. Like I get some weird line breaks but after editing it again they don't show anymore so I can live with that.)

The second method also worked when I saved the series main page as a bookmark and then followed step 3 to 5. I always had to go through the main page though. If I did something else after creating a new entry (like adding chapters or something like that) and then tried to add to the Glossary afterward, it didn't work anymore. I had to go back to the main page and do the second method again.
When I did I could add as many new items as I wanted though.

Tony

Staff member
It does but only with a work-around. Let me describe the two ways I tried this:

First Method (didn't work):
  1. I click on "Create" in the menu at the top
  2. I pick the series I want to make a glossary for and click "edit"
  3. I go to the Glossary tab and use "Add New Item"
  4. I write the entry and click on "Add Item"

This is super weird because no matter which steps you take, at the end, it's the same page (create glossary page). I've tried doing this exact step multiple times with different browsers and I can't re-create this problem no matter what. Are you doing anything else? Also, which browser are you using?

I guess I can use spoiler tags to some extent, though it'll be annoying for people to open all the spoiler tags manually.

Not to mention I can't hide people and places that way : /

What I'm hoping for is like:

Volume 1 characters
[Shiro]
[Kuina]
[Ryo]

Volume 2 characters
[Shiro]
[Rex]

Shiro record in volume 1 would have her background, volume 2 would have her background + changes to her in volume 1 and so on.

Not sure but I'll re-visit this in the future. Thats something to think about in the future. The glossary already went through a makeover so I'll have to wait a bit before I add to it again. Other features need love too!

yansusustories

This is super weird because no matter which steps you take, at the end, it's the same page (create glossary page). I've tried doing this exact step multiple times with different browsers and I can't re-create this problem no matter what. Are you doing anything else? Also, which browser are you using?

Nothing I can think of 😅 I'm slowly adding some more stuff so I'll keep an eye on it. Maybe there's something I didn't consider yet *ponders*
And I'm using Firefox, don't know which exact version though. It should be the newest, 65-something?

tak

I have no idea about coding but i wanna help
Is there any chance iOS/windows version affecting it?

yansusustories

So I tried again today with different novels and now it works with both methods although not consistently. Sometimes I still have the problem that I can't click the "Add Item" down at the bottom but now I don't have any idea anymore what could cause this. It's as if it's somehow cursed and just works when it wants to 😅

Tony

Staff member
So I tried again today with different novels and now it works with both methods although not consistently. Sometimes I still have the problem that I can't click the "Add Item" down at the bottom but now I don't have any idea anymore what could cause this. It's as if it's somehow cursed and just works when it wants to 😅

Yeah, that's super weird. If I'm able to re-create the problem on my side, I would be able to fix it but I've tried everything and no luck :blob_teary:

I'll keep clicking random buttons to see if I can re-create the problem on my own in the meantime.

yansusustories

Yeah, that's super weird. If I'm able to re-create the problem on my side, I would be able to fix it but I've tried everything and no luck :blob_teary:

I'll keep clicking random buttons to see if I can re-create the problem on my own in the meantime.
I saw somewhere that somebody had something like a "timelimit" with the Glossary (was a thread of its own). I'm thinking maybe that was my problem? I took too long when I tried it with the first version and was faster with the second one without knowing? Then again, when I tried yesterday I wrote some rather long entries and it went through regardless of the method and some shorter entries didn't ...