New post, who dis?

TheWeirdMunchies

Lol funny title post.

Any who, I am a Very Dapper Mustached Sheep, and this is my first post.
I honestly think what I am about to ask may be stupid but I will ask anyway.

I suck at making measurements for.... well anything. Character height, object height, length, etc.

This is a very noticeable problem with my own writing (all which is down very crappily on my phone).

I also suck on finding general science things to watch out for in my story. What I find myself wanting to write is stories that require deep scientific knowledge and psychological knowledge, and more.

It all feels... so big and overwhelming.
Any recommendations on what to research to get off on the right foot.

When I do take a serious crack at writing, I don't want it to degenerate into wish-fufilment trash (no offense against that type of story, I just find usually very crude and unpolished), But I want readers to actually care what happens.

To do that I need better skills. I need so much help (In my opinion).

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I suck at making measurements for.... well anything. Character height, object height, length, etc.
This isn't really relevant usually, and you generally don't need to mention it.

If you want to share it though, just google "Average height for an [age] years old man/woman" and the like.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Look at Star Trek or any other Sci-Fi tech mumbo-jumbo. You just have to make it believable and remaining consistent in your work. It is science - fiction after all. But if you are speaking about going full scientific, explaining real world stuff because xyz character is a scientists in modern day... You have to research it before going at it. No other ways around that.

For character height comparisons: A pretty basic tool for help

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
When I do take a serious crack at writing, I don't want it to degenerate into wish-fufilment trash (no offense against that type of story, I just find usually very crude and unpolished), But I want readers to actually care what happens.
I'll be honest with you: the sooner you discard this mindset, the sooner you find yourself being a better writer.

Every story has its virtue; one thing wish-fulfilments manages to suffice is their acute understanding of their audience and their ability to maintain engagement despite having ADHD-esque lightning pace. It's obvious that readers still care about these things, else they wouldn't stick with it despite its quality. It's still trash, but you'd find yourself having a hard time trying to emulate its success, even if you adopt its writing style to a tee.

I've seen so many authors decrying these type of works and trying to write our their magnum opus and giving up before chapter 50 while the wish-fulfilment trash authors are still going with chapter 200, whether by lack of interest or perceived success.

What I'm trying to say is that I can tell you're still new to this stuff and that you NEED to soak up as many as you can. It's not bad that you can filter, but your current sample size is so minuscule that your scale is still skewed. Try to learn about stories beyond their lone qualities and consider the market or the context of their conception. You'd find yourself learning from these so-called "trash" titles and finding some success.

Take it from me: I used to write character-driven melodramas and scoff at smut harems, but then I considered their success, gave them a shot, and now I'm also writing a smut harem myself without betraying my original writing style.

For now, you need to keep writing. Until you got at least 1 million words in your writing career, your best bet at improvement is putting your head in the grindstone and keeping your fingers on the keyboard.

TL;DR: Study everything, even the lesser subjects. As they say, one man's trash is another's treasure. And start writing.

D

Deleted member 54065

Lol funny title post.

This is a very noticeable problem with my own writing (all which is down very crappily on my phone).

I also suck on finding general science things to watch out for in my story. What I find myself wanting to write is stories that require deep scientific knowledge and psychological knowledge, and more.

You may be into sci-fi, but using 'accurate' measurements to describe your characters, settings, or scenes, can actually be counter-productive, if you wish to have more readers.

I mean, not everyone loves detailed explanations and exact numbers. Just an estimate will do; heck, even using another object to compare your characters, settings or scenes is enough to give your audience a picture of what's going on.

As for scientific knowledge, I suggest watching documentaries. Understand the concepts behind what you watch, and try to explain it on a layman's term. Otherwise, you're only writing a research paper, and not a story.

If you want your readers to care for what actually happens to your work, don't rush your story and jump into the exciting parts immediately. A proper build up should be done till the climax. If you're writing about war and suffering, show people (side characters or just plain fodder) that are suffering. Sure, it may alienate some readers, but hey, if they're rushing, then they are not the readers for you. Logical reactions of your characters can help too, because these make them 'human', and the more 'human' your characters are, the more chance of your readers are going to relate to them.

Finally, if you're serious about writing, then you need to enjoy it. Write what you want.

TheWeirdMunchies

I'll be honest with you: the sooner you discard this mindset, the sooner you find yourself being a better writer.

Every story has its virtue; one thing wish-fulfilments manages to suffice is their acute understanding of their audience and their ability to maintain engagement despite having ADHD-esque lightning pace. It's obvious that readers still care about these things, else they wouldn't stick with it despite its quality. It's still trash, but you'd find yourself having a hard time trying to emulate its success, even if you adopt its writing style to a tee.

I've seen so many authors decrying these type of works and trying to write our their magnum opus and giving up before chapter 50 while the wish-fulfilment trash authors are still going with chapter 200, whether by lack of interest or perceived success.

What I'm trying to say is that I can tell you're still new to this stuff and that you NEED to soak up as many as you can. It's not bad that you can filter, but your current sample size is so minuscule that your scale is still skewed. Try to learn about stories beyond their lone qualities and consider the market or the context of their conception. You'd find yourself learning from these so-called "trash" titles and finding some success.

Take it from me: I used to write character-driven melodramas and scoff at smut harems, but then I considered their success, gave them a shot, and now I'm also writing a smut harem myself without betraying my original writing style.

For now, you need to keep writing. Until you got at least 1 million words in your writing career, your best bet at improvement is putting your head in the grindstone and keeping your fingers on the keyboard.

TL;DR: Study everything, even the lesser subjects. As they say, one man's trash is another's treasure. And start writing.
Well it's not like I discard the wish fulfillment entirely, I just feel that if I were to personally attempt to write in such a way (atleast at the moment) my story would degrade in quality. And of course not all wish fulfillment is bad. Far from it, their are quite a good chunk of them that are good, I just lower my expectations when reading those types of stories.

I may have worded myself wrong. Sorry bout that.
You may be into sci-fi, but using 'accurate' measurements to describe your characters, settings, or scenes, can actually be counter-productive, if you wish to have more readers.

I mean, not everyone loves detailed explanations and exact numbers. Just an estimate will do; heck, even using another object to compare your characters, settings or scenes is enough to give your audience a picture of what's going on.

As for scientific knowledge, I suggest watching documentaries. Understand the concepts behind what you watch, and try to explain it on a layman's term. Otherwise, you're only writing a research paper, and not a story.

If you want your readers to care for what actually happens to your work, don't rush your story and jump into the exciting parts immediately. A proper build up should be done till the climax. If you're writing about war and suffering, show people (side characters or just plain fodder) that are suffering. Sure, it may alienate some readers, but hey, if they're rushing, then they are not the readers for you. Logical reactions of your characters can help too, because these make them 'human', and the more 'human' your characters are, the more chance of your readers are going to relate to them.

Finally, if you're serious about writing, then you need to enjoy it. Write what you want.
Fair enough, thanks for the reply!
Much appreciated.
This isn't really relevant usually, and you generally don't need to mention it.

If you want to share it though, just google "Average height for an [age] years old man/woman" and the like.
Thanks!
Look at Star Trek or any other Sci-Fi tech mumbo-jumbo. You just have to make it believable and remaining consistent in your work. It is science - fiction after all. But if you are speaking about going full scientific, explaining real world stuff because xyz character is a scientists in modern day... You have to research it before going at it. No other ways around that.

For character height comparisons: A pretty basic tool for help
Alrighty, tank ya friend!

whitesculptor

The princess whispers & the keyboard clacks.
I'd recommend reading/watching dr.stone; it was a great way to put science in it and still make it highly enjoyable.

Le_ther

Lol funny title post.

Measurements huh. It would be much better to use a BMI chart and try measuring yourself. For general science it would be better if you try to use physics or chemistry topics as they usually help on describing what type of object and how they work. Also, atleast be proud that you want to write something that ain't self fulfillment but to make others understand your story as a full book of polished characters and plot. It's not rare but to persevere and actually doing it is a major step for your writing career.

Gibbs505

Lol funny title post.

Write for yourself, what you like and what means something to you.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Stroll on down to your local library and find out where they keep the university-level textbooks. Make it a daily or weekly ritual, whatever you can fit into your life.

AuntieMaysLittleCousin

Level 73 Practical Procastinator
Lol funny title post.

I recommend you to read stories that fit that which you want to write in order to have a better grasp on the knowledge you want to put in your story. Usually though, most scientific knowledge you read in stories is pretty basic physics knowledge that a ninth grader (who actually paid attention to school) would probably understand. Also there's a soft sci-fi genre that admits wrong scientific mumble-jumble as long as you specify that you're making up stuff