Newb author in search of some beatings.

SoggySpaghetti

So i published my first novel - Soul Caller, two weeks ago, and finally got it to over 10k words. Figures now would be a good time to get someone to nitpick every pixel so I can improve.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated, but there are a few specific points I want to focus on:
- Grammar mistakes (duh)
- I switch perspectives often. Does this make it difficult to follow the story?
- Is the writing easy to understand? I don't want readers to play word detective with it.
- Is the comedy acceptable?
- Is it hard to figure out who's talking?
- Is the plot too confusing? Is it intriguing enough to keep you interested?
- Are the characters memorable?
- And anything else you can think of.
Be as harsh as you like. I can take it. Hit me daddy.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
So i published my first novel - Soul Caller, two weeks ago, and finally got it to over 10k words. Figures now would be a good time to get someone to nitpick every pixel so I can improve.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated, but there are a few specific points I want to focus on:
- Grammar mistakes (duh)
- Is the writing easy to understand? I don't want readers to play word detective with it.

Hit me daddy? :blob_reach: I don't know what to think, but you have my attention.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
- Grammar mistakes (duh)

I skipped over your chapters, and as far as I can tell, your story will be probably successful, or at least more successful than mine. :blob_melt: So, good luck in the future.

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
Hard to tell who is saying what sometimes. (example, the last three lines in the prologue)

Usually, if there are two quotes, they should be in separate paragraphs instead of mashed together on the same line. It gets hard to see what part stops being the question and what is the answer. You do this rather often, and my cancer has begun to metastasize.

The italics are sometimes confusing as to what it is supposed to be about. Sometimes it seems to be what a character is thinking while others seems to be like a 4th wall breaking comment or something

Seeing your "English is not my first language, so please comment if you find any error" made me think that your novel would be indistinguishable to or worse than a machine translated passage. However, there are some grammar mistakes, but not that often and not that distracting, so it should be fine. Give me my expectations back, or just omit that statement in your synopsis.

St*p c*nsoring r*ndom th*ngs y*u don*t ne*d to cens*r. What are you, the Chin*se government? I don't want to play word detective with it.

Given that there is not enough chapters, I won't say much about the plot (or lack thereof), since it can change radically.

I came in expecting a rather mediocre or poorly written story. This story did not meet expectations. 1001/1010.
(if you don't get the score, look at my username for a hint)

SoggySpaghetti

Hard to tell who is saying what sometimes. (example, the last three lines in the prologue)

Usually, if there are two quotes, they should be in separate paragraphs instead of mashed together on the same line. It gets hard to see what part stops being the question and what is the answer. You do this rather often, and my cancer has begun to metastasize.

The italics are sometimes confusing as to what it is supposed to be about. Sometimes it seems to be what a character is thinking while others seems to be like a 4th wall breaking comment or something

Seeing your "English is not my first language, so please comment if you find any error" made me think that your novel would be indistinguishable to or worse than a machine translated passage. However, there are some grammar mistakes, but not that often and not that distracting, so it should be fine. Give me my expectations back, or just omit that statement in your synopsis.

St*p c*nsoring r*ndom th*ngs y*u don*t ne*d to cens*r. What are you, the Chin*se government? I don't want to play word detective with it.

Given that there is not enough chapters, I won't say much about the plot (or lack thereof), since it can change radically.

I came in expecting a rather mediocre or poorly written story. This story did not meet expectations. 1001/1010.
Thanks a lot for the feedback. Appreciate it. The sensor thingy was done as part of the comedy, but yeah I realize it gets annoying. Will try to fix things when I'm not busy being a lazy ass.:sweating_profusely:

HURGMCGURG

That Guy
A village girl, Vezeri, is currently in a predicament. Half the men in her village are fighting each other to ask her out. The rest of them are either married or dead. Even the girls are in love with her. For good reasons.

For one, she is one of the most beautiful people to have ever graced the world. Her slender, perfectly proportioned body, her angel-like face, big blue eyes, smooth white skin, and long, silky black hair far outclasses any princess or queen. Combined with her graceful movements and demeanor, that radiates an aura of nobility, she attracts the eyes of passersby anywhere she goes, doing whatever she does, stealing the attention of men and women alike, no matter their age. Even a witch with the strongest love potions could not steal those gazes from her; she is simply far too stunning.

Furthermore, she is kind and loves taking care of others. As an herbalist, she treats everyone in her village, and anyone that comes to her door, free of charge. Even during the heaviest of storms, if your child had come down with sickness, she would show up at your doorstep and nurse him back to perfect health while not collecting a single coin. For this reason everyone loves her, and she would receive gifts in one form or another every now and then. If someone dared to harass her, they'd have the whole village to answer to.

Her beauty and kindness carries her fame far and wide. Rich merchants and their sons, lords and knights, even princes from far away would travel great distances to meet her and beg of her to marry them, bringing mountains of coins and jewelry. She turned them all down. No one knows why she would refuse such opportunities, ones that can change her life from that of a simple peasant to one as high up and luxurious as a queen's. The aunts and uncles in the village, worried she'd miss the once in a lifetime chance, would urge her to accept. "I'm not ready yet. I still have people that I need to care for." is what she always reply with. When she would say no, they would stop; maybe because they realized they'd lose the angel they love and the village would become devoid of life and joy then

But that is not the reason why she would always reject an offer of marriage. She DOES want to marry. She DOES want to share her warmth with someone she loves. But she was unable to. Why? Because she is not human.

··ℑ··​

Vazeri Ezreal is a demon. The former queen of an entire demon country, to be precise. Why she chooses to live in a village while masquerading as a human is a story for another time. But the most important thing to know at the moment is that she is extremely powerful. Normally, she makes conscious efforts to suppress her powers, but were she to be careless, a flick of her finger can shred an adult man into pieces. If she is awake, all is well. Once she's asleep however, she can't be sure. For that reason, she lives in a house far away from others. She wouldn't risk endangering the lives of people important to her.

But there is another reason. A secret that she deems much more devastating to her, were it to be discovered. This particular secret, while not life-threatening to her, nor to those around her, would destroy her life, as per her assessment. "They'd shame me and kick me out if they knew of it", she would think to herself and would fear of a momentary slip up, bringing her to ruin. And that secret is...

"I only like little girls!"

A shout reverberated in the nearby forest. Vezeri would come here twice a week to collect herbs for her medicine. People don't usually go deep inside, as monsters and dangerous animals lurk here. They warned her multiple times too, but since she always comes back unscathed, they gave up. It is only here in the woods, away from prying eyes, where she can freely express her desires, perverted and degenerate as they are.

"Hey, they are not perverted!"

Yes, they are. Enough to guarantee you a few years in jail for even thinking about them.

"No, you don't understand. My desires, er, dreams are as pure as heaven itself."

Please elaborate.

"You know, I just want to hug them and pinch their cheeks a little, since they are so cute. And pet them on the head a bit, and bring them home, and poke their thighs, and sniff them, and touch their bodies, fondle their breasts, and..."

I'm calling the guards.

"Nooooooo! Please don't! they'd arrest me, put me in jail, and spread the word that I'm a pervert!"

Well said. Guards! There's a pervert over here!

"Wait, wait, wait, there's nothing perverted in worshiping little girls, right? It's freedom of religion! Everyone can worship whatever god they want. So I'm innocent!"

Then go and tell that to the guards. Here, sir. She's the one.

"Nooooooo! Please, I'm begging you! If they know I want to lick, er, hug little girls, they'd kill me! They would put me in a cage, make me hold a board that says "pedophile" and put me on a cart and drive it everywhere! I'd die from embarrassment!"

That would be a fitting end for you. Farewell. We haven't met long. Can't say it was enjoyable.

"Come on..." *Sigh* "Can't a little girl fall from the sky or something..."

Don't be stupid. There's no way that'd happe...

A bright light suddenly fills Vezeri's vision. "What the...?" She turns to where the source is. A ray of light, brighter than the sun, seemingly came from the sky, beamed down to a place not far from her. At the same time, a bunch of animals ran towards her, fleeing from it. She put up her guard. It could be dangerous - she thinks. Everything that came here in a similar manner before all became her enemy. She carefully moved forward, ready to intercept anything that came her way. But when she arrived at the place, she could only widen her eyes in silence at what she saw.

A little girl was lying under the shade of a large tree. Seemingly no more than ten years old, her small sleeping figure was hugged by the tree's roots. Her skin was smooth and white, free of imperfections, her face small and pretty - like a doll. Her hair was black, short and curly, but it only highlighted her innocent figure, along with the black Gothic Lolita short dress she wore.

Not long after Vezeri arrived, small animals started to emerge. Birds flew around, singing; squirrels, foxes and deers walked, eat, play freely around the girl. One particular fawn even came snuggle up to her, then curled against her and slept peacefully. The whole scene seemed then like something out of a picture. In front of such a scene, Vezeri was only able to mutter:

"C-Cute!"

Don't you even think about it.

"But this - this is, this must be a gift! From god! He heard my cries, and he answered! Seeee, there's nothing wrong with my preferences. Even god approved it!"

If he nodded to your perverted thoughts, then you two are in the same boat. Please crash.

"Shush. Don't insult god. Thank you god! I hated you because you always sent those pesky angels down to annoy me, but you gave me a new light! I will worship you wholeheartedly forever!"

A demon worshiping a god. Great. You are an idiot.

Ignoring the conversation with no one in particular, Vezeri ran to the little girl. The animals, seeing her, immediately ran away. Once she came beside the girl, she crouched down next to her, and ran her fingers down the girl's face.

"Whoa, her skin is so white and smooth, and her face is so small and pretty! Are you an angel then? You must be, since you came from way up there." Probably feeling the sensation of Vezeri's fingers, the girl slowly opened her eyes. They were big, silver eyes.

"Um, who are you?" Her voice, small and pure, came through like a melody from heaven's harp. Or that's what Vezeri interpreted.

"You..."

"Y-Yes?"

"You...are definitely an angel! Your face! Your voice! They're all so cute! A little angel came from heaven! Thank you god for giving her to me! I promise I'll take care of her forever!"

"Wah...Umph!?"

The little girl was lifted up and hugged tightly. The only thing she could hear for the next few minutes was the sentence: "My precious!" This was repeated many times. Meanwhile, while not understanding a single thing that was going on, all the young girl could think to say was,

"I'm a girl?"

There was an explosion. The hotel's gas pipeline had been old, built well over a century ago, and even when it had been constructed, it could not be considered well made. Although the hotel's business was by no means bad, the owner was a cheapskate and would rather bring all his profits to his grave than renovate the hotel. His wish was granted, as one of the pipes exploded near his face when he was in the basement, and a piece of shrapnel embedded itself in his skull.

··ℑ··​

The boy was on a trip with his grandparents and little sister. His parents were killed in a car crash when he was six, so his grandparents took him and his sister in. Not wanting their grandchildren to suffer, they did their best to provide them with parental love, despite not being very well off. They succeeded and their grandson ended up being a good kid. Kind, dependable, dutiful, the boy was everything any parent could hope for, aside from being a bit shy, a result of staying home and helping his grandparents most days.

The boy knew that his grandparents were growing old when they started to become slower at everything. Their wrinkles, already plenty, kept piling on one another as the years went by. Still, they smiled for the kids. Knowing they threw their lives away, twice, once to raise their daughter, then her children as well, he was determined to do something for them. After working hundreds of hours of part-time work, he had finally saved enough for a family trip to a tourist attraction in another city. He didn't have much, so they had to settle for cheap accommodations, but grandma and grandpa were happy nonetheless, bursting into tears and hugging him tightly when he told them.

He told himself that it would not be the last time he did this. When he get a proper job, he would invite them for another trip, to a more beautiful place, sleep in a luxurious hotel, eat food they could only look at before. Unfortunately, he would never have the opportunity to do so.

⋅⋅ℑ⋅⋅​

When the boy regained awareness, he was standing inside a small room with hundreds of manga books spread across the floor, mixed with a wide variety of empty snack and fast food packages. Its walls were covered with anime and manga posters. The shelves, where the books should have been, were instead full of a variety anime figurines from many different shows, some from the posters on the walls. If an anime addict were to see this room, he'd feel right at home. In front of him, there was a young girl sitting on a cushion, her back towards him, her eyes practically glued to a PC screen which was airing an episode of Dr*gon B*ll.

His first thought was understandable. Did I get kidnapped by an otaku or something? He thought to himself. What are they going to do? Demand ransom so they can buy more figurines? I know they are expensive, but you can't be that desperate, right?"

"Relax, I'm not kidnapping you." The girl spoke, still not turning away from the screen.

"Oh, ok. Then can you tell me where I am?" He replied.

"..."

He asked, when he saw that she didn't answer. "Uh...Hello?"

Still no answer.

He decided to shake her shoulder. "Excuse me?"

"Arghhh! Could you shut up for a minute? It is getting intense over here! G*ku is about to gather his Sp*rit Bomb! Stand over there and wait patiently."

So he relegated himself to stand awkwardly in the corner, surrounded by mountains of manga and trash, listening to Dr*gon B*ll while the girl occasionally repeat the lines the characters said and screamed in excitement: "Nature, give me strength...", "Yeahhhh!", "...who can't protect themselves...", "Boom! Pow! Gratata! Ya!"

Rest assured. She doesn't have mental problems. She's just a shut-in otaku.

Okay, maybe she does have mental problems.

This went on for another 15 minutes, until finally the credits rolled and the girl turned towards him. Looking closely, she seemed like a child about 12 years old, with silver hair and eyes. She was wearing plain pajamas which was so wrinkled they might not have been cleaned since the day they were bought. The corners of her mouth still had traces of tomato sauce.

"Ahhh." She sighed contentedly. "That was good. Isn't it exciting how humans can create such wonderful works of art like these. Nar*to, *ne P*ece, Dr*gon B*ll, truly on par with those of Sh*kespe*re and V*n G*gh."

"I don't think comparing anime to famous historical figures is very fitting..." He said in response. Also, why is everything censored?

"What?" The girl stared at the boy, her eyes radiating irritation. "Not fitting? Are you looking down on anime and manga? Do you think they are just meaningless moving drawings? Are you saying their creators are not worthy of recognition?"

"No, I'm not saying..." He tried to back pedal.

"Shame on you." She shoved her finger in his face, using it to enunciate every syllable. "SHAME. ON. YOU!"

"Fine. Fine. I'm wrong. Anime is love, anime is life. Anime is the Bible, anime is Jesus himself reincarnated. Can you tell me where I am yet?"

"Oh, that." She dropped her finger and took on a lazy attitude, as though her anger just a moment ago had been a lie. "Don't worry about it. You are dead anyway, so it doesn't matter."

There was a noticeable pause during which the only sound that could be heard was the music emanating from the girl's laptop. "...What?"

"Like I said, dead. Like Kr*llin in every single episode."

"But, I'm standing right here."

"Yep. Standing right there, dead as a doornail."

"If this is a prank, then it's a really bad one, you know that?"

"Don't believe me? Fine." She picked up a book and threw it at him. It went right through his chest.

"Whoa!" He jumped backward, surprised at the bizarre phenomenon. I have got to be dreaming, he thought.

"And there we go."

"Wait. How did I even die? I remember I was sleeping in the hotel I went with my family, and then I'm just... here."

"Ah, I erased it."

"You what?"

"I erased that bit of your memory. If I didn't do that, most people would go crazy over their death, screaming, running around breaking stuff and all that. I do leave the rest of it intact, however, so you won't turn into a brain dead dumbass when I talk to you. Like that one guy I experimented on a few weeks ago. I believe I had to turn him into a chicken afterward. He is having a good life though, pecking at high quality corns as a pet of some rich family, so it's ok."

"You talk like you're a god."

It was reasonable for the boy to be skeptical about this situation. It's not everyday that one would wake up being told they're dead by a shut-in loli calling herself god, who apparently turns people into chickens.

"Ha. Ha. Ha. But I am." She placed her hand over her mouth as she laughed in a completely overdone fashion, before puffing out her chest and placing her hand upon it. "Can you not see it, the mighty air of absolute power and supremacy which the great me is releasing?"

He can't. In fact, now you look even more like a kid with chuunibyou than a god. Not that you didn't already resemble one anyway.

"Uhh...okay? Let's assume you are a god, then. What will happen to me now?"

"Now I will reincarnate you into another world, where magic is present. Like in those isekai anime and web novels that are popular nowadays. But unlike them, I'll have to erase the rest of your memory when I send you down. Can't have people breaking the world with knowledge from their past life, you see. I honestly can't get their appeal, really. Overpowered MCs in a generic fantasy world is boring. The authors of these novels must not have a lot of cells in their brains when they write them. But enough of that. A new episode of F*re F*rce is about to air, so we gotta hurry."

She snapped her fingers. Then a spin wheel appeared out of nowhere.

Okay, now this is definitely a dream, the boy thought. "What's that for?"

"This? It's something which will decide your next life's fate. It's a hassle to have to judge someone's past to do that, this is way quicker. About a sixth of the options here will get you a comfortable life, where you'll live in luxury, fame and not having to worry about everything ever. The rest means perpetual suffering."

"Seriously? You gonna decide people's fate by spinning a wheel? That sound really irresponsible."

"Nah, it's fine. No one has come back to complain yet. Although it might be because they can't get here... Well, they can, they just don't remember the last time they were here. Anyway, here we go!" She hastily grabbed the wheel and spun it. "Even if you get a bad fate, you'll die quickly, so it ain't that bad. You can always try again next ti... Gah!"

The wheel stopped at a section. There is something written on it, but he couldn't make out the words, so the boy couldn't know why the girl had started panicking beside him.

"What's wrong?" He said as he leaned forward to get a better look at what was written

"Nothing." She sidled in front of the spot on the wheel that was selected.

"You seem panicked."

"No, I'm not."

"What does the wheel say, then?"

"It, uh, says...you...are blessed! You are going to be very happy in the next life, having a lot of loving friends and families, and, and, you will become very strong, to the point where nothing will be able to stop you! Totally what it said."

"You don't sound very convincing."

"Oh don't mind the small details. Your race will be what the people in this world call "Voca". It's a race that can communicate with the dead. Next, I'll give you some of the best skills I can think of, because of how blessed you are, of course. Now would you look at the time! We are way behind schedule, so I'm going to send you down right now. Good luck!"

A circle of light appeared under the boy's feet. It gradually increase in size and light, wrapping him within.

"Wait, at least explain what skills you gave me first!" He said, realizing his "dream" was about to end.

"You'll know what they are when you need them. Please, live your next life freely! Remember, don't tell anyone about your race, and don't let anything they say sway you!"

When the light eventually faded, the figure of the boy was gone. Only the girl, and the room full of anime merchandise was left.

"Man, I screwed up pretty bad, didn't I." The girl said as she and the room quickly faded away into nothingness.

Last edited:

Yorda

Villainess Yorda the Virtuous Flower of Evil

1001/1010. 9/10
Why do you like binary so much? What about hex or octal? Do the other bases receive no love?

SoggySpaghetti

A village girl, Vezeri, is currently in a predicament. Half the men in her village are fighting each other to ask her out. The rest of them are either married or dead. Even the girls are in love with her. For good reasons.

For one, she is one of the most beautiful people to have ever graced the world. Her slender, perfectly proportioned body, her angel-like face, big blue eyes, smooth white skin, and long, silky black hair far outclasses any princess or queen. Combined with her graceful movements and demeanor, that radiates an aura of nobility, she attracts the eyes of passersby anywhere she goes, doing whatever she does, stealing the attention of men and women alike, no matter their age. Even a witch with the strongest love potions could not steal those gazes from her; she is simply far too stunning.

Furthermore, she is kind and loves taking care of others. As an herbalist, she treats everyone in her village, and anyone that comes to her door, free of charge. Even during the heaviest of storms, if your child had come down with sickness, she would show up at your doorstep and nurse him back to perfect health while not collecting a single coin. For this reason everyone loves her, and she would receive gifts in one form or another every now and then. If someone dared to harass her, they'd have the whole village to answer to.

Her beauty and kindness carries her fame far and wide. Rich merchants and their sons, lords and knights, even princes from far away would travel great distances to meet her and beg of her to marry them, bringing mountains of coins and jewelry. She turned them all down. No one knows why she would refuse such opportunities, ones that can change her life from that of a simple peasant to one as high up and luxurious as a queen's. The aunts and uncles in the village, worried she'd miss the once in a lifetime chance, would urge her to accept. "I'm not ready yet. I still have people that I need to care for." is what she always reply with. When she would say no, they would stop; maybe because they realized they'd lose the angel they love and the village would become devoid of life and joy then

But that is not the reason why she would always reject an offer of marriage. She DOES want to marry. She DOES want to share her warmth with someone she loves. But she was unable to. Why? Because she is not human.

··ℑ··​

Vazeri Ezreal is a demon. The former queen of an entire demon country, to be precise. Why she chooses to live in a village while masquerading as a human is a story for another time. But the most important thing to know at the moment is that she is extremely powerful. Normally, she makes conscious efforts to suppress her powers, but were she to be careless, a flick of her finger can shred an adult man into pieces. If she is awake, all is well. Once she's asleep however, she can't be sure. For that reason, she lives in a house far away from others. She wouldn't risk endangering the lives of people important to her.

But there is another reason. A secret that she deems much more devastating to her, were it to be discovered. This particular secret, while not life-threatening to her, nor to those around her, would destroy her life, as per her assessment. "They'd shame me and kick me out if they knew of it", she would think to herself and would fear of a momentary slip up, bringing her to ruin. And that secret is...

"I only like little girls!"

A shout reverberated in the nearby forest. Vezeri would come here twice a week to collect herbs for her medicine. People don't usually go deep inside, as monsters and dangerous animals lurk here. They warned her multiple times too, but since she always comes back unscathed, they gave up. It is only here in the woods, away from prying eyes, where she can freely express her desires, perverted and degenerate as they are.

"Hey, they are not perverted!"

Yes, they are. Enough to guarantee you a few years in jail for even thinking about them.

"No, you don't understand. My desires, er, dreams are as pure as heaven itself."

Please elaborate.

"You know, I just want to hug them and pinch their cheeks a little, since they are so cute. And pet them on the head a bit, and bring them home, and poke their thighs, and sniff them, and touch their bodies, fondle their breasts, and..."

I'm calling the guards.

"Nooooooo! Please don't! they'd arrest me, put me in jail, and spread the word that I'm a pervert!"

Well said. Guards! There's a pervert over here!

"Wait, wait, wait, there's nothing perverted in worshiping little girls, right? It's freedom of religion! Everyone can worship whatever god they want. So I'm innocent!"

Then go and tell that to the guards. Here, sir. She's the one.

"Nooooooo! Please, I'm begging you! If they know I want to lick, er, hug little girls, they'd kill me! They would put me in a cage, make me hold a board that says "pedophile" and put me on a cart and drive it everywhere! I'd die from embarrassment!"

That would be a fitting end for you. Farewell. We haven't met long. Can't say it was enjoyable.

"Come on..." *Sigh* "Can't a little girl fall from the sky or something..."

Don't be stupid. There's no way that'd happe...

A bright light suddenly fills Vezeri's vision. "What the...?" She turns to where the source is. A ray of light, brighter than the sun, seemingly came from the sky, beamed down to a place not far from her. At the same time, a bunch of animals ran towards her, fleeing from it. She put up her guard. It could be dangerous - she thinks. Everything that came here in a similar manner before all became her enemy. She carefully moved forward, ready to intercept anything that came her way. But when she arrived at the place, she could only widen her eyes in silence at what she saw.

A little girl was lying under the shade of a large tree. Seemingly no more than ten years old, her small sleeping figure was hugged by the tree's roots. Her skin was smooth and white, free of imperfections, her face small and pretty - like a doll. Her hair was black, short and curly, but it only highlighted her innocent figure, along with the black Gothic Lolita short dress she wore.

Not long after Vezeri arrived, small animals started to emerge. Birds flew around, singing; squirrels, foxes and deers walked, eat, play freely around the girl. One particular fawn even came snuggle up to her, then curled against her and slept peacefully. The whole scene seemed then like something out of a picture. In front of such a scene, Vezeri was only able to mutter:

"C-Cute!"

Don't you even think about it.

"But this - this is, this must be a gift! From god! He heard my cries, and he answered! Seeee, there's nothing wrong with my preferences. Even god approved it!"

If he nodded to your perverted thoughts, then you two are in the same boat. Please crash.

"Shush. Don't insult god. Thank you god! I hated you because you always sent those pesky angels down to annoy me, but you gave me a new light! I will worship you wholeheartedly forever!"

A demon worshiping a god. Great. You are an idiot.

Ignoring the conversation with no one in particular, Vezeri ran to the little girl. The animals, seeing her, immediately ran away. Once she came beside the girl, she crouched down next to her, and ran her fingers down the girl's face.

"Whoa, her skin is so white and smooth, and her face is so small and pretty! Are you an angel then? You must be, since you came from way up there." Probably feeling the sensation of Vezeri's fingers, the girl slowly opened her eyes. They were big, silver eyes.

"Um, who are you?" Her voice, small and pure, came through like a melody from heaven's harp. Or that's what Vezeri interpreted.

"You..."

"Y-Yes?"

"You...are definitely an angel! Your face! Your voice! They're all so cute! A little angel came from heaven! Thank you god for giving her to me! I promise I'll take care of her forever!"

"Wah...Umph!?"

The little girl was lifted up and hugged tightly. The only thing she could hear for the next few minutes was the sentence: "My precious!" This was repeated many times. Meanwhile, while not understanding a single thing that was going on, all the young girl could think to say was,

"I'm a girl?"

There was an explosion. The hotel's gas pipeline had been old, built well over a century ago, and even when it had been constructed, it could not be considered well made. Although the hotel's business was by no means bad, the owner was a cheapskate and would rather bring all his profits to his grave than renovate the hotel. His wish was granted, as one of the pipes exploded near his face when he was in the basement, and a piece of shrapnel embedded itself in his skull.

··ℑ··​

The boy was on a trip with his grandparents and little sister. His parents were killed in a car crash when he was six, so his grandparents took him and his sister in. Not wanting their grandchildren to suffer, they did their best to provide them with parental love, despite not being very well off. They succeeded and their grandson ended up being a good kid. Kind, dependable, dutiful, the boy was everything any parent could hope for, aside from being a bit shy, a result of staying home and helping his grandparents most days.

The boy knew that his grandparents were growing old when they started to become slower at everything. Their wrinkles, already plenty, kept piling on one another as the years went by. Still, they smiled for the kids. Knowing they threw their lives away, twice, once to raise their daughter, then her children as well, he was determined to do something for them. After working hundreds of hours of part-time work, he had finally saved enough for a family trip to a tourist attraction in another city. He didn't have much, so they had to settle for cheap accommodations, but grandma and grandpa were happy nonetheless, bursting into tears and hugging him tightly when he told them.

He told himself that it would not be the last time he did this. When he get a proper job, he would invite them for another trip, to a more beautiful place, sleep in a luxurious hotel, eat food they could only look at before. Unfortunately, he would never have the opportunity to do so.

⋅⋅ℑ⋅⋅​

When the boy regained awareness, he was standing inside a small room with hundreds of manga books spread across the floor, mixed with a wide variety of empty snack and fast food packages. Its walls were covered with anime and manga posters. The shelves, where the books should have been, were instead full of a variety anime figurines from many different shows, some from the posters on the walls. If an anime addict were to see this room, he'd feel right at home. In front of him, there was a young girl sitting on a cushion, her back towards him, her eyes practically glued to a PC screen which was airing an episode of Dr*gon B*ll.

His first thought was understandable. Did I get kidnapped by an otaku or something? He thought to himself. What are they going to do? Demand ransom so they can buy more figurines? I know they are expensive, but you can't be that desperate, right?"

"Relax, I'm not kidnapping you." The girl spoke, still not turning away from the screen.

"Oh, ok. Then can you tell me where I am?" He replied.

"..."

He asked, when he saw that she didn't answer. "Uh...Hello?"

Still no answer.

He decided to shake her shoulder. "Excuse me?"

"Arghhh! Could you shut up for a minute? It is getting intense over here! G*ku is about to gather his Sp*rit Bomb! Stand over there and wait patiently."

So he relegated himself to stand awkwardly in the corner, surrounded by mountains of manga and trash, listening to Dr*gon B*ll while the girl occasionally repeat the lines the characters said and screamed in excitement: "Nature, give me strength...", "Yeahhhh!", "...who can't protect themselves...", "Boom! Pow! Gratata! Ya!"

Rest assured. She doesn't have mental problems. She's just a shut-in otaku.

Okay, maybe she does have mental problems.

This went on for another 15 minutes, until finally the credits rolled and the girl turned towards him. Looking closely, she seemed like a child about 12 years old, with silver hair and eyes. She was wearing plain pajamas which was so wrinkled they might not have been cleaned since the day they were bought. The corners of her mouth still had traces of tomato sauce.

"Ahhh." She sighed contentedly. "That was good. Isn't it exciting how humans can create such wonderful works of art like these. Nar*to, *ne P*ece, Dr*gon B*ll, truly on par with those of Sh*kespe*re and V*n G*gh."

"I don't think comparing anime to famous historical figures is very fitting..." He said in response. Also, why is everything censored?

"What?" The girl stared at the boy, her eyes radiating irritation. "Not fitting? Are you looking down on anime and manga? Do you think they are just meaningless moving drawings? Are you saying their creators are not worthy of recognition?"

"No, I'm not saying..." He tried to back pedal.

"Shame on you." She shoved her finger in his face, using it to enunciate every syllable. "SHAME. ON. YOU!"

"Fine. Fine. I'm wrong. Anime is love, anime is life. Anime is the Bible, anime is Jesus himself reincarnated. Can you tell me where I am yet?"

"Oh, that." She dropped her finger and took on a lazy attitude, as though her anger just a moment ago had been a lie. "Don't worry about it. You are dead anyway, so it doesn't matter."

There was a noticeable pause during which the only sound that could be heard was the music emanating from the girl's laptop. "...What?"

"Like I said, dead. Like Kr*llin in every single episode."

"But, I'm standing right here."

"Yep. Standing right there, dead as a doornail."

"If this is a prank, then it's a really bad one, you know that?"

"Don't believe me? Fine." She picked up a book and threw it at him. It went right through his chest.

"Whoa!" He jumped backward, surprised at the bizarre phenomenon. I have got to be dreaming, he thought.

"And there we go."

"Wait. How did I even die? I remember I was sleeping in the hotel I went with my family, and then I'm just... here."

"Ah, I erased it."

"You what?"

"I erased that bit of your memory. If I didn't do that, most people would go crazy over their death, screaming, running around breaking stuff and all that. I do leave the rest of it intact, however, so you won't turn into a brain dead dumbass when I talk to you. Like that one guy I experimented on a few weeks ago. I believe I had to turn him into a chicken afterward. He is having a good life though, pecking at high quality corns as a pet of some rich family, so it's ok."

"You talk like you're a god."

It was reasonable for the boy to be skeptical about this situation. It's not everyday that one would wake up being told they're dead by a shut-in loli calling herself god, who apparently turns people into chickens.

"Ha. Ha. Ha. But I am." She placed her hand over her mouth as she laughed in a completely overdone fashion, before puffing out her chest and placing her hand upon it. "Can you not see it, the mighty air of absolute power and supremacy which the great me is releasing?"

He can't. In fact, now you look even more like a kid with chuunibyou than a god. Not that you didn't already resemble one anyway.

"Uhh...okay? Let's assume you are a god, then. What will happen to me now?"

"Now I will reincarnate you into another world, where magic is present. Like in those isekai anime and web novels that are popular nowadays. But unlike them, I'll have to erase the rest of your memory when I send you down. Can't have people breaking the world with knowledge from their past life, you see. I honestly can't get their appeal, really. Overpowered MCs in a generic fantasy world is boring. The authors of these novels must not have a lot of cells in their brains when they write them. But enough of that. A new episode of F*re F*rce is about to air, so we gotta hurry."

She snapped her fingers. Then a spin wheel appeared out of nowhere.

Okay, now this is definitely a dream, the boy thought. "What's that for?"

"This? It's something which will decide your next life's fate. It's a hassle to have to judge someone's past to do that, this is way quicker. About a sixth of the options here will get you a comfortable life, where you'll live in luxury, fame and not having to worry about everything ever. The rest means perpetual suffering."

"Seriously? You gonna decide people's fate by spinning a wheel? That sound really irresponsible."

"Nah, it's fine. No one has come back to complain yet. Although it might be because they can't get here... Well, they can, they just don't remember the last time they were here. Anyway, here we go!" She hastily grabbed the wheel and spun it. "Even if you get a bad fate, you'll die quickly, so it ain't that bad. You can always try again next ti... Gah!"

The wheel stopped at a section. There is something written on it, but he couldn't make out the words, so the boy couldn't know why the girl had started panicking beside him.

"What's wrong?" He said as he leaned forward to get a better look at what was written

"Nothing." She sidled in front of the spot on the wheel that was selected.

"You seem panicked."

"No, I'm not."

"What does the wheel say, then?"

"It, uh, says...you...are blessed! You are going to be very happy in the next life, having a lot of loving friends and families, and, and, you will become very strong, to the point where nothing will be able to stop you! Totally what it said."

"You don't sound very convincing."

"Oh don't mind the small details. Your race will be what the people in this world call "Voca". It's a race that can communicate with the dead. Next, I'll give you some of the best skills I can think of, because of how blessed you are, of course. Now would you look at the time! We are way behind schedule, so I'm going to send you down right now. Good luck!"

A circle of light appeared under the boy's feet. It gradually increase in size and light, wrapping him within.

"Wait, at least explain what skills you gave me first!" He said, realizing his "dream" was about to end.

"You'll know what they are when you need them. Please, live your next life freely! Remember, don't tell anyone about your race, and don't let anything they say sway you!"

When the light eventually faded, the figure of the boy was gone. Only the girl, and the room full of anime merchandise was left.

"Man, I screwed up pretty bad, didn't I." The girl said as she and the room quickly faded away into nothingness.
Thanks a lot:blob_evil_two: Writing in English when you don't even speak it most of the time is really stressful.

F8ofThe3World

that soup

New to the forums...and ScribbleHub in general, but Ben...don't say 'make my nut nut', it just makes me recall some crap some guy I knew made up about parasyte(gave me nightmares for weeks). Also, what soup? Do you mean when a user says 'sauce?'

F8ofThe3World

Also, Soggy I like your plot, but the changing perspective with little indication is sort of confusing. About as confusing and eye-straining as when random translation websites use bright purple for their borders(Plus I tried reading 'mutagen' and some crap about 'goldfinger app-power').

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
New to the forums...and ScribbleHub in general, but Ben...don't say 'make my nut nut', it just makes me recall some crap some guy I knew made up about parasyte(gave me nightmares for weeks). Also, what soup? Do you mean when a user says 'sauce?'
the nut shall nut and the soup will be

just you try and stop me you crescent lookin ass

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Interesting, my avatar is the moon which can crush your...tf2 medic who replaced his head with heart-rate monitor?
funny enough, i actually main medic in tf2

send me ur ign i can be ur medi-gf <3