Nier Automata Sucks (MASSIVE Spoilers)

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
So clunky and boring gameplay aside... the plot is what I'm going to discuss here.

There are so many people writing about what a masterpiece this is, the story the characters blah blah blah...

Well, I played through the confusing mess of a story, then I went and watched a bunch of videos of it to try and understand the story and now that I understand the story I felt like it was a giant waste of time because there was absolute zero emotional payoff at the end.

All it is, is a poorly made tragedy that destroys any hope you can have of survival without a god being the moral compass. It tries to bring in the cycles of the matrix but without the purpose of harvesting electricity/neuro network processing. And machines gaining sentience and all the discovery that androids and machines are similar... everyone they're fighting for are already dead? Resets?

And then at the end you either kill or be killed then play a credits scene?

Look, the music and the scenery and the world itself is beautiful. I enjoyed my time running around and listening to the music but the story, the gameplay is all trash. Like really trash if you get down to the nitty gritty of it. The whole purpose of the story is to make you feel sad over an unfair world. That's it,

Yoko Taro is not a genius. He's just lucky people like 2B's ass and come up with all sorts of ways to justify watching it (and hell yes it's a nice ass).

Well... either way he succeeded in making me hate the game and story and especially the ending.

/personal rant over

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Hm, just making sure, did you do the 9S and A2 playthroughs?

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
I see. Well, if you didn't like it, you didn't like it.
I HATED it.
I felt the same way I did when I completed Kingdom Hearts 3. I was mad for a few weeks... I hope I'm not mad tomorrow about this.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
It tries to bring in the cycles of the matrix but without the purpose of harvesting electricity/neuro network processing. And machines gaining sentience and all the discovery that androids and machines are similar... everyone they're fighting for are already dead? Resets?
The entire world and story are made up from ideas about search for purpose though. To my understanding that's the point of the theme.
The game's pretentious about it and adds few own points that I recall, but a rant about the absence of the thing whose lack it is about?

Well, you do you.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
""""""""""""""""""""gameplay""""""""""""""""""""

Brandondee

I played it last year and loved it. It’s fine if you didn’t enjoy it, but it wasn’t a bad game

AryaX

Its been a while since I played it, but... aside from the controls (I played on pc, mouse/keyboard), I found it very well done game...

georgelee5786

Its been a while since I played it, but... aside from the controls (I played on pc, mouse/keyboard), I found it very well done game...
I think the game was meant for consoles, which is why the PC controls are clunky. But I might be wrong.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
I played it last year and loved it. It’s fine if you didn’t enjoy it, but it wasn’t a bad game
To each their own. Not everyone likes everything.

It’s just one of those games you either love or hate. I was on the hate side.
It wasn’t the controls, it was the game design. The slashes didn’t have a very good recovery frame time etc.

The insistence on bullet hell in fights wasn’t that great.

AryaX

It wasn’t the controls, it was the game design. The slashes didn’t have a very good recovery frame time etc.

The insistence on bullet hell in fights wasn’t that great.
I don't recall playing many, if any other games with "bullet hell", but I don't think it bothered me much... And generally I didn't have any issues with controls or game design, while the game was in 3rd person point of view...

The side and top view portions of the game had some "minor" issues with controls, but mostly my issues were with the hacking mini games, which were effectively unplayable by default... as far as I can remember, I had to download some third party patch or something to "fix" the controls, and even with that... it wasn't great...

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
The side and top view portions of the game had some "minor" issues with controls, but mostly my issues were with the hacking mini games, which were effectively unplayable by default... as far as I can remember, I had to download some third party patch or something to "fix" the controls, and even with that... it wasn't great...
I’ve played quite a few bullet hell. I believe th hacking mini-games were part of it, so was the ending E portion where you were supposed to shoot at directors.

I had no issues with the controller since I just plugged in a ps4 controller.

Like I said, it wasn’t the game itself that made me mad, it was the story. The entire story was basically just there to manipulate your feelings for no other reason than to say “oh look how tragic and pointless this is.”

Personally there was a lot I did like about the game, the story revelations however ruined it all for me.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
It's another of those games were you have to be "really smart" to get the "deep meaning" behind the game. /s

The whole shtick of the game was "life is meaningless, so go find your own meaning or(/and) die (trying)".

But yeah, the characters acted stupid in act 2, solely for the sake of tragedy. And if felt rushed. Especially after the ending of act 1. 9S was going full psycho after he should know better, A2 didn't get the teasered redemtion arc and nobody outside Pascal and the twins did get closure on their stories.

Still liked the game for the world and especially the music.

Last edited:

georgelee5786

But yeah, the characters acted stupid in act 2, solely for the sake of tragedy. And if felt rushed. Especially after the ending of act 1. 9S was going full psycho after he should know better
I think that was because his inner machinery had malfunctioned or was infected, but I'm not 100% sure.