Nier Automata Sucks (MASSIVE Spoilers)

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Did I forget the /s again? Looks like it.
the presence (or lack thereof) of the /s symbol is so that you can filter the kinds of people who scroll through the settings app in their phones when they meet new people

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
I enjoyed the combat itself quite a bit myself. The keyboard control sucked a lot but some patch and autohotkey fixed it. I especially liked using the counter chip. If you move your character in the direction of an attack, they can block and reflect the damage. And it's insane dps in late game with high difficulty because the enemies deal way more damage than they can withstand themselves and one shot themselves. It can return up to 250% damage so the defensive chip actually turns into main damage for me lol.

There are a lot of recovery frame after attacks, but the game allows to cancel attacks quite freely before the hit connects. (I think you can also trigger counter during attack recovery, i'm unsure)
Being a dark souls2 enjoyer I'm okay with the fact that comitting to attacks leaves the player at risk.
But it's true that the game is a bit too clunky for pixel perfect control no hit runs. Sometimes my char would dodge in wrong direction or do stuff I didnt intend.
Anyway it's not a good idea to mash attacks, as delaying a bit between each attacks makes the game more likely to register your commands.
Mirage program is also quite badass defensive mode.

My motivation to play the game was simple. My monke brain only needed the addiction of farming better chips and make my character more powerful and it carried my motivation quite far in the game. Like farming crit chance chips with stupid weapons like the metal pipe. It only worked because I liked the basic combat gameplay itself. And crit/counter fishing spoke to my inner gambler spirit

Storywise it didn't leave too deep impression. Most of the story was just people stuck between their unreconcilable desires and circumstances without ever reaching happy closure.

But story fights were great fun and varied. Especially mecha fights that were breather between normal fights. There was a lot of variety: humanoid vs giant robot, small robots vs big robots, big robot vs big robbot. I really didn't expect all that during my first playthrough. It was like a funny sparkly kablooey themepark ride

Edit: actually the final ending was quite touching. The story throw misery all game long at the player with all character getting fucked over in cold blood by each other (game overs are lore accurate since memories are stored in servers and bodies reconstructed at the android dispensers lol) but the final ending gives the first and last opportunity for the cherished main characters to receive the love, pity and help of others (from the pods and the player themselves) to cheer on for their freedom and happy ending. Weight of the world is really a warm fitting expression of the relationship between player and characters. Though you don't exist for them, their prayer is heard and fulfilled by the help of strangers (yourself) just like how you receive help with other player's save data
Even if life is bleak and hopeless. There are people out there who empathize and share your pain somewhat

Last edited:

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Edit: actually the final ending was quite touching. The story throw misery all game long at the player with all character getting fucked over in cold blood by each other (game overs are lore accurate since memories are stored in servers and bodies reconstructed at the android dispensers lol) but the final ending gives the first and last opportunity for the cherished main characters to receive the love, pity and help of others (from the pods and the player themselves) to cheer on for their freedom and happy ending. Weight of the world is really a warm fitting expression of the relationship between player and characters. Though you don't exist for them, their prayer is heard and fulfilled by the help of strangers (yourself) just like how you receive help with other player's save data
Even if life is bleak and hopeless. There are people out there who empathize and share your pain somewhat
Ending E supremacy.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
Ending E supremacy.
Yeah the idea of ending E is great.

But I think pod dialogue could have been better executed and less cringy. If it falls flat and doesnt move the player, then the entire game remains nihilistic nonsense. If it hits home then it's a message of support towards the player themselves for when fate becomes a cruel joke on you, because the player themselves decided to offer that support for the characters trapped in nihilistic misery.

They should have worded pod's questions differently. Instead of asking whether games are a joke to you, they should have asked something else without mentioning it's a game. Like if the time you spent with 2b, 9s and a2 was meaningless and their suffering just a cruel joke? If the experience of witnessing their journey is just worthless virtual data or fond memories? Whether you really want to struggle against an unreasonably unfair ordeal for their sake and offer them another tiny chance to struggle for happiness (even though it'll probably end up in more suffering like it happened during all game)?

Instead the pods acted like awkward nerds lol

If Yoko Taro wrote the ending first and arrange all the story to give meaning to that ending, I think he should have put made a smoother transition to ending E

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
@owotrucked I just wanted to let you know I read what you wrote, I see it as a matter of preference.

I still hate Nier Automata, but since it’s been some time since I got done with it I’m over the vitriol from it and have moved on.

Playing another game now.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
@owotrucked I just wanted to let you know I read what you wrote, I see it as a matter of preference.

I still hate Nier Automata, but since it’s been some time since I got done with it I’m over the vitriol from it and have moved on.

Playing another game now.
Yeah I don't mean to deny your bad experience or taste with Nier. Ultimately the flaws we can put up with is personal. If you had a bad time with both gameplay and story, then the game clearly failed its job for your case. I tried Phoenotopia awakening recently but I didnt enjoy the gameplay or the story and dropped it right away despite its good reception