Resolved No automatic refreshing of notifications anymore?

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
Since a few days ago, the notifications for new messages or comments with the small red symbol would pop up automatically even when I was using another tab and didn't have ScribbleHub open directly. Now, I need to go back to SH and refresh the page manually to see whether there are any new notifications or not. Could it be that this is a bug? It's a bit cumbersome since I often miss messages until quite a while later and don't always want to check.

Edit: The notifications on the main site of ScribbleHub, not in the forums

Last edited:

crimson_carnation

Same problem here. The red notification on the tabs seems to have disappeared. A solution would be very appreciated.

Greydra

Here too, with both the manual updating required and the lack of the tab-notification.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Since a few days ago, the notifications for new messages or comments with the small red symbol would pop up automatically even when I was using another tab and didn't have ScribbleHub open directly. Now, I need to go back to SH and refresh the page manually to see whether there are any new notifications or not. Could it be that this is a bug? It's a bit cumbersome since I often miss messages until quite a while later and don't always want to check.
Since the day I joined Scribbly, it never gave me any notifications unless I was actively doing something in the forums...

yansusustories

Since the day I joined Scribbly, it never gave me any notifications unless I was actively doing something in the forums...
That is very strange :blob_blank: Was that the same for you for both the main site and the forums? Because I've gotten notifications for the website but feel like there weren't any automatic ones on the forums. I could be wrong about the latter though since I'm not in the forums as often.

AliceShiki

That is very strange :blob_blank: Was that the same for you for both the main site and the forums? Because I've gotten notifications for the website but feel like there weren't any automatic ones on the forums. I could be wrong about the latter though since I'm not in the forums as often.
Ah! I was talking about the forums, I never stayed online for more than a few minutes on the main site, so I paid no attention to that... >.>

yansusustories

Ah! I was talking about the forums, I never stayed online for more than a few minutes on the main site, so I paid no attention to that... >.>
Ah, that explains it. I should probably edit the original post to include that it's about the main site. I think in the forums it was always like this, yes. (Although I'd love it if we had notifications here as well :blob_hmm_two: )

AliceShiki

Ah, that explains it. I should probably edit the original post to include that it's about the main site. I think in the forums it was always like this, yes. (Although I'd love it if we had notifications here as well :blob_hmm_two: )
Aye! Real time notifications would be great! >.<

Tony

Staff member

It's not a bug. I had to remove that feature temporarily because it was killing the SH servers. I'll have to find a better way to implement it so it doesn't kill SH servers :blob_teary:

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
"It's not a bug, it's a feature." (trivia: it is unknown who said this first ... the chicken or the egg?)

Kind of reminds me of the friend of a friend of a friend feature of friendster. It's one of the three reasons the site folded.

There's also a certain malnourished website that had its mass mailing feature disabled or removed. This gave birth to users doing it "manually" which in turn led to the coder adding a restrictive timer in between posts.

--- (^,^) ---

Tony, here's a suggestion.

Let N be the square root of the total number of online users. There will be N groups of N users. Approximately, anyway. Adjust as appropriate.

Only show alerts for N users at a given time. Loop through N groups. Having a short pause in between groups might further alleviate the server load.

yansusustories

It's not a bug. I had to remove that feature temporarily because it was killing the SH servers. I'll have to find a better way to implement it so it doesn't kill SH servers :blob_teary:
Ah, thanks for letting us know though! I hope you'll find a way to make it work. Until then, we'll wait patiently. Having SH without notifications is still better than having no SH at all :blob_melt:

AliceShiki

Oof... That's sad... T.T

Well, can't be helped then, good luck finding a new way to go about it~

Tony

Staff member

Same problem here. The red notification on the tabs seems to have disappeared. A solution would be very appreciated.
Here too, with both the manual updating required and the lack of the tab-notification.

Okay, it's fixed for now. I changed my code to make it work better, I hope :sweating_profusely: