Non-standard Monsters

Kldran

I've always been a fan of giant flying whales. I'm not sure how powerful they'd need to be to survive in a world with dragons though...

Ruriha

Well-known Procrastinator
That would be pretty terrifying. Good idea ngl.
That's the best idea I could come up with on the spot. That, or any of junji ito's monsters. The stuff he makes are a subject of nightmares.

Speaking of, a sentient hole that lures people inside is pretty much unique.
1606582053704.png

PieCoNsUmEr

The Fisher Dragun
A writhing mass of flesh that generally takes a near humanoid form. It has high regenerative ability, and worse, the flesh mound isn't the main body. The main body is a fairly inconspicuous plant from which the fleshy monstrosity grows as a fruit. So even if you manage to kill it despite the regeneration, the plant part will just grow a new one within a day or so if you don't deal with it as well.
Does more than 1 grow?

PieCoNsUmEr

The Fisher Dragun
How about flying cockroaches?

You could use Dropbears (those are memes just in case) or pick any australian critter for that matter.

Another option is to throw a die and check the folklore of some random faraway place(here, have a tottally unbiased random place <3). The world is big, and mainstream media is not done with the leyends of every corner.

Both links are great! Can’t be too safe with vegimite protection.

pyrak

I've always been a fan of giant flying whales. I'm not sure how powerful they'd need to be to survive in a world with dragons though...
Give them some anti fire magic, make them several times bigger than the dragons and a tendency to throw around hurricane force (magic) wind when aggravated and you've got a flying monster that's a very dangerous giant delicacy for anything capable of hunting in the sky.

TachimeSan

I have one type of monster in my story called "collectors." They're born out of the amalgamation of mana at a specific place. They take the shape of a large black slug as their base, but from there deviate from each other by the body part they choose to "collect" from their victims. For example, one collector might choose to collect the arms of it's victims and assimilate them into it's body, producing a grotesque monster with hundreds of arms protruding from it's body, each capable of using vaired weapons. While another might collect heads and use magic that the original owners of the heads could use, and so on and so fort.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I like the beast with two backs, so how about a beast with three or four backs?

Daitengu

A lesser used mimic would be the insect hive queen. It controls a hive to be in the shape of a person, hides in sewers and prays on people. Not to be confused with human sized insects. These are standard sized, just a colony in a humanoid shape.

From what I've read, it's usually ants, roaches, or spiders.

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
Does more than 1 grow?
I'd say it could. Maybe it could control one extra "Body" per ten levels or something? And of course the bodies grow stronger as the plant levels up. Then for evolutions it could go a few different ways. Could have one variety that morphs its extras into mimicries of other monsters. Another that attaches small parasites to other living things and treats those things as its extra bodies in turn. A third where the extra bodies fuse with the main tree into an extra grotesque monstrosity of flesh and wood. And a fourth where the extra bodies count as independent life forms that can be spawned infinitely by the tree as long as it has enough nutrition. Also, now I've thought of a names for the species, thanks to that last one. The basic Monster Tree, the Mimic Tree, the Puppet Tree, the Necro Tree, and finally the terrifying Dungeon Tree.

jabathehut

Resident Troll
This is supposed to be the plot line to one of my stories and I can't wait to rewrite it. Every human noble contracts with a god for power and in exchange gets a monster like quality, like one of the supporting characters with 4 arms or the ice witch with 3 eyes, or the guy whose head is a bunch of disassembled pieces that move and behave like theyre inside a lava lamp

Leti

This is supposed to be the plot line to one of my stories and I can't wait to rewrite it. Every human noble contracts with a god for power and in exchange gets a monster like quality, like one of the supporting characters with 4 arms or the ice witch with 3 eyes, or the guy whose head is a bunch of disassembled pieces that move and behave like theyre inside a lava lamp
Does it involves a beherit?

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Brownies from Berserk. Imagine your basic troll but their much cuter, cuddlier and they're the size of a kitten. They're also a peaceful race, and will do absolutely anything to your bidding so long as there's a promise of a warm meal at the end.

I'm not telling you to plagiarize but I AM telling you that you can make pacifist monsters.

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
Brownies from Berserk. Imagine your basic troll but their much cuter, cuddlier and they're the size of a kitten. They're also a peaceful race, and will do absolutely anything to your bidding so long as there's a promise of a warm meal at the end.

I'm not telling you to plagiarize but I AM telling you that you can make pacifist monsters.
Those are in Scottish folklore:

'-'

X

PieCoNsUmEr

The Fisher Dragun
Grappler, a creature with 1.2 meter diameter metallic spherical shell, that has many small holes in it, to send out its tentacles to grab you, so it can crush you. It eats your smashed giblets through the holes.