Nonhuman protagonists?

HelloHound

Hound of hell, lover of girls
how do you write a nonhuman or monstrous protagonist? especially when it comes to one of inhuman proportions and parts?

ModernGold7ne

That fly you can't swat.
how do you write a nonhuman or monstrous protagonist? especially when it comes to one of inhuman proportions and parts?
Depends on the intention, if i'm writing a story with a monstrous protagonist, i'd give them thoughts and actions that mostly contradict the normal thinking of humanity while making sure that they remain fun and grounded throughout.

I'm currently writing a story with a non-human protagonist and she's nothing like what i wrote above, the best thing you can do is read other stories with these features then then an opinion based on that.

Agentt

Thighs
I doubt it would be hard to write a protagonist who isn't @human
But anyways,
Just name your monster.
That's it.
I had orcish/slime-like/goblin/wolf-like features.

That's it.

Erys

Her Highness
My mc looks human, acts human, and interacts with human until she gets hungry. The inside is more important than the outside. Her alien morality and thought process is what make her more monstrous than a monster.

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
Most of your time should be spent exploring the different thought process the monstrous entity has, and how it clashes with our human common sense, and you should consider how an animal would act.
I am writing about a sentient bird, and have asked myself how she would act in her day-to-day life. Instead of nodding or frowning, she expresses herself through the movements of her wings or sharp clicks of her beak. She hates being indoors, sings and flies to clear her mind, and at times is quite bloodthirsty. think of how your non-human character would act and make sure that is consistent in every scene he is in.
The most important thing when writing non-human characters is to make the readers realize it is truly alien, and not a human wearing a strange costume.

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
Most tend to start out as blunt and pragmatic. Then the human elements come into play to not stress the author in having to micromanage every action. Just don't forget the monster part and only have them be humans in fur suits by the end.

Blunt as monsters don't have an ethical code for most settings. Pragmatic as the animal virtues of taking things as is and running with them. They can grow into more human qualities. Don't erase the monster parts when that happens.