Writing Normal Isekai Thing??

What should be my starting point?

• regaining conscience during a battle

• recalling past

• Both- alternate state of conscience, recalling past memories while battle is taking place

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kayla

First time writing ANYTHING. I'm confident in my failure! I want to write a typical underdog isekai but I don't know what the best starting point is.

1)After entrance- I'll have to introduce the mc and their situation after the battle using a random party and scattered dialogue. And for spice, a sad attempt at writing a 'dazed' state.
2)Easy entrance- I'll introduce the mc, their circumstances, scenery, and the entrance of the random party.
3)Exiting entrance- I'll introduce parts of the mc's past while they are fighting. Creates an 'underdog' feel.

If you think these are total chaos, plz help me make something up. Let me know if giving ya'll more info would help you in choosing one of the options? Kinda didn't want to post my cringe plot.

D

Deleted member 29316

Ah, beginnings are always the hardest.

It depends actually on how or what do you want to show your readers. For example, an entrance using the character's recollection can be used to show his/her train of thoughts, motivations, as well as his/her take on the situation he/she encounters.

An 'easy entrance' can be used effectively to convey action sequences to the audience.

From what I understood in your exiting entrance, it is best used to make the audience/reader relate to the character early on.

So I guess we could only give you clues on how to do things, but it is you who'd ultimately decide on your style depending on your goal as a writer.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Smooth yourself in. Don't straightaway jump into deep waters. Give your character a backstory, motivation, and start off from there.

It's best to not start your story from 11. Starting so high and bombastic means there's really only one way you can go from there

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
Are you trying to do a cinematic effect here? I highly suggest against using movies/anime technique as a basis for a novel cause you really don't have access to visual cues. Which means you are gonna have to tackle a lot of things with words

Or are you simply trying to decide where to fast forward to? Why not just start from the beginning like normal?

Personally, I wanted to write an OP MC, but then I felt like people wouldn't relate with the character if I did that, so I just decided to write the prequel first with MC struggling. Then will come a sequel of them being OP.

Kayla

Thanks, ya'll! I think I'll take the easy intro, there isn't any reason for me to die over it lol. Good night (morning??)

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
First time writing ANYTHING. I'm confident in my failure! I want to write a typical underdog isekai but I don't know what the best starting point is.

1)After entrance- I'll have to introduce the mc and their situation after the battle using a random party and scattered dialogue. And for spice, a sad attempt at writing a 'dazed' state.
2)Easy entrance- I'll introduce the mc, their circumstances, scenery, and the entrance of the random party.
3)Exiting entrance- I'll introduce parts of the mc's past while they are fighting. Creates an 'underdog' feel.

If you think these are total chaos, plz help me make something up. Let me know if giving ya'll more info would help you in choosing one of the options? Kinda didn't want to post my cringe plot.
Listen bro. The best start would be waking up in the bed of a sexy, naked woman who may or may not already be married

Im a professional-ish writer. You just gotta trust me in this, okay?

TRNRLogan

Depends heavily on what kind of story you're writing and how you want it to go. Take those reincarnated as a villainess stories for example. You've got your classic injured as a little kid then remember past life types and then there's the remember everything as the Villainess is being punished types. The first version has the MC follow the goal of preventing the bad future while the second has the MC try to survive and thrive from the bad future.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
You can introduce the most crucial backstory and information in the first chapters and the just follow in the future with some bits of information that come up depending on the situation the MC is placed in. That way you will establish the core of a character and the audience will have a decent idea what to expect from the MC, what drives him, what is his current goal, etc.

With the new little bits coming up, like remembering something from the past, encountering a situation where one of MC's quirks or personality elements show up, you can slowly build up the information you didn't want to dump all at one point.

I'm not saying I did it well, but for eg. in case of my novel, 1st chapter showed MC in his usual daily routine and some of his personality, 2nd one showed how he was reminiscing his past which lead to who he is, and future ones slowly show more bits of his personality through his words and actions.

Anyway, have fun and good luck!

Blackout

Worshipper of Chin Chin the Dark Lord
You could always go for a flashback style You know, starting with the main character in the middle of a battle, and just as he was about to be defeated, he goes all 'How did things turn out like this?'. After that, the scene switches to "2 years earlier" or something

hastalavista

Let's see, I'm not the best writer out there, but as a reader, I noticed a lacking thing in many stories...
There is no reason to move...
I see that the best way to make a good Isekai is to use the previous life to move the current life forward, the MC needs a reason to move, needs a desire or disbelief to make a decision. For example, venturing the world looking for his best friend who also got reincarnated with him is a good goal. why? because that guy is the boy who rescued him from bullies and became his first friend in his previous life. Now as a reader I will understand why the MC will help a little girl from bullies or monsters because we know he was a tender guy in his previous life.
This way it will be much easier to know what you are writing.
Another tip is Cause and Effect... for every effect, there is a cause behind.
and you already know what is the most rational thing to write next because you know your MC.
For example...
When he wakes up he is born as a villager, he's good so he will grow to help his dad, in the forest while they are gathering some firewood a monster will attack, the mc discovers that his dad is strong so he asks him to teach him about magic, he refuses and because he wants to look for his friend in this strange world full of monsters he tries to learn by himself by asking the villagers.
The villagers tell him there is a magician in the forest but the way to him is hard and dangerous(call for the first adventure)
You see? even though the example might be traditional but it followed cause and effect well enough.
Effect: good-nurtured boy
cause: the boy who rescued him from bullies and became his first friend in his previous life.

Effect: helping his father to collect firewood,
Cause: the tender side he inherited from his previous life.

Effect: Going to the forest to look for the magician.
Cause: he was rejected by his father and he needed magic to venture this world looking for his friend.

You see, here are three well-built chapters that are moved by the desire of the MC and will start the first plot point.
How?
Maybe the magician will notice how talented the MC was and take him as a disciple...

Hope this was beneficial and I wish you all the best.