Writing Notebooks, Computers, Writing Platform...

• Thread starter Deleted member 29316
  • Start date

Where do you prefer to write your manuscripts first?

• Notebooks, Papers, Notepads, etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Computer/Laptop/Phone: MS Word, Notepad, Wordpad, similar programs/apps.

Votes: 36 78.3%
  • Direct to the platform's text editor.

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Combination of Notebook (or any similar things), and Computer, then copy + paste to the platform.

Votes: 7 15.2%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 29316

Well, the last online class I had today was quite amusing, since my students kept on bickering about the benefits of writing drafts/manuscripts on notebooks, or computers. As fellow authors, where do you prefer to write your stories first? I put up a poll for the vote, but if you wanted to explain why you picked a certain answer, go ahead! I'll start with my answer.

For me, I combine notebooks and computers for my drafts/manuscripts, usually depending on my mood. If I use laptop, the chance of getting distracted is high. So if ever I wanted no distractions, I would write on my notebook, and then type it later on the computer. Now, if I got my 'writing mode' going, I would create a chapter directly on the computer then transfer it to the platform's text editor.

I don't use the platform text editor for first drafts, since aside from the fact that I'm not used to it, I always print a hard-copy of my work for future references.

Last edited by a moderator:

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
Laptop/computer exclusively.
It's been too long since I wrote creatively in a notebook and the short term productivity hit I'd take if I switched now is too large. But if you have a painless way to do it I'm all ears.

D

Deleted member 29316

Laptop/computer exclusively.
It's been too long since I wrote creatively in a notebook and the short term productivity hit I'd take if I switched now is too large. But if you have a painless way to do it I'm all ears.
Nah, I don't have one. Writing in notebooks sure is kind of painful (especially if you made mistakes...the 'dirty', unorganized pages is painful to look at), plus you still have to type it on the computer.

The only benefit I get from writing on a notebook is that there's no distractions, unless I took hold of my phone again (which is impossible since I always listen on YT whenever I write).

D

Deleted member 29316

Am poor so I can only afford a smart phone, main write using that device 😅
Well, writing on phone is almost similar to writing on a notebook. Less distractions because you can only do two things simultaneously at most. The only disadvantage I noticed when using the phone is when the screen starts to 'ghost', especially when it's an old model.

Generik0

I was more used to writing on notebooks as I wrote a 4 book story about zombies in the span of a year. (I trashed it as I was cringing whenever i see it)

But online class hit then I was motivated to try writing in phones/laptops/computer

D

Deleted member 29316

I was more used to writing on notebooks as I wrote a 4 book story about zombies in the span of a year. (I trashed it as I was cringing whenever i see it)
I also had a similar experience, only the story is about a bunch of heroes called 'Galaxy Fighters'. I shiver whenever I remember that cringey phase of mine...:sweating_profusely:

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Using my phone because it is so close to me.

I have a notebook but that is mostly for my design engineering shit. And my handwriting is so atrocious that I myself cannot understand it.

I will use my laptop if I want to do fancy stuff, but the lag is killing me.

Ruriha

Well-known Procrastinator
Distractions are a part of the process of writing for me, otherwise I'd be staring into blank spaces. :blob_uwu: So I always prefer writing on computer than in notebooks.

ConTroll

Eternal Wood
I write based-on where I read content, which nowadays means on computer or on the phone.

Usually, I do the outlines and very, very rough drafts on the phone, clean it up and on the computer, then do a final edit on the phone.

Nanakawaichan

Well, the last online class today I had was quite amusing, since my students kept on bickering about the benefits of writing drafts/manuscripts on notebooks, or computers. As fellow authors, where do you prefer to write your stories first? I put up a poll for the vote, but if you wanted to explain why you picked a certain answer, go ahead! I'll start with my answer.

For me, I combine notebooks and computers for my drafts/manuscripts, usually depending on my mood. If I use laptop, the chance of getting distracted is high. So if ever I wanted no distractions, I would write on my notebook, and then type it later on the computer. Now, if I got my 'writing mode' going, I would create a chapter directly on the computer then transfer it to the platform's text editor.

I don't use the platform text editor for first drafts, since aside from the fact that I'm not used to it, I always print a hard-copy of my work for future references.
You should add smartphone. I write all of mine in notes in my phone since I get bored easily. So I write while walking in the room or moving from room to room. I has a laptop but only use it for my work or if I need to make pic for my story (like maps from inkernate) and has a potato computer for playing mmorpg games but I barely touched it lately
IMG_20200929_144353.jpg

Last edited:

ZoeStorm

I write stuff on my laptop, because on-screen phone keyboards are to finicky and the screen too small to be able to write long-form prose properly. However, I do keep a notepad and pen nearby as I go about my day, so if I get an idea about my writing I jot it down quickly, and then copy it on my laptop when I have a moment to sit down.

SailusGebel

I use a PC. Although it's easy to get distracted, music, that I mostly listen via my PC, helps me concentrate and speed up the arrival of inspiration. I can also easily look at dictionaries or find other things that are needed at the moment. For example, hair types, how this particular type of clothing named, name meaning, etc.

UYScuti

Helium Fuser
I write the novel on my computer/phone, with character profiles and chapter notes in notebooks. Writing personalities/backstories by hand burns the character in my mind, and flipping through chapter notes helps me avoid writing the same thing repeatedly.

D

Deleted member 29316

I write the novel on my computer/phone, with character profiles and chapter notes in notebooks. Writing personalities/backstories by hand burns the character in my mind, and flipping through chapter notes helps me avoid writing the same thing repeatedly.
Ah yes, this is also a great way to memorize your character. Thanks for the reply!

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
My impatience is incredible, so I prefer to just type it straight on ScribbleHub's text editor. It's quite dangerous in case I forget to save the draft or something, and I've been meaning to switch to something else, but I'm just really lazy.

D

Deleted member 29316

My impatience is incredible, so I prefer to just type it straight on ScribbleHub's text editor. It's quite dangerous in case I forget to save the draft or something, and I've been meaning to switch to something else, but I'm just really lazy.
Brave soul...I'd say. :sweating_profusely:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I have the Amped perk equipped so I could switch between notebook, laptop and phone Google Docs at anytime. I trained myself to be versatile and ready to write wherever I go so I could do jt on the train, car, anywhere without data and, on the off chance where I don't have my phone with me, hijack someone else's laptop, sign into my Google Docs and keep writing. If I'm left alone with nothing but my notebook, I can still plan for my future chapters and my paragraph structures.

If we're relegated to the stone age, I still have my notebook, which I can both write AND draw my story out if I have to. The quality would be less than ideal but if we're at the point where I'm forced to use notebooks only, it's good enough for me that I can still write.

Downside is that I can't think of anything but my story, plotline, characters etc. whenever I'm free. It's gotten to the point where I have to make up another story just for my head so I could distract myself from thinking about my main story.