Writing Notebooks, Computers, Writing Platform...

• Thread starter Deleted member 29316
  • Start date

Where do you prefer to write your manuscripts first?

• Notebooks, Papers, Notepads, etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Computer/Laptop/Phone: MS Word, Notepad, Wordpad, similar programs/apps.

Votes: 36 78.3%
  • Direct to the platform's text editor.

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Combination of Notebook (or any similar things), and Computer, then copy + paste to the platform.

Votes: 7 15.2%

• Total voters

IDreamNovels

I am writing exclusively on my android phone, using google docs + grammarly. The only issue I have is that grammly hangs very often when checking for errors.

TheHelpfulFawn

A small animal that helps you with your groceries
Google docs cause I write at both work and home.

rachurch95

I used to use notebooks, I still have like fifteen of them from middle-high school full of old stories that need to be rewritten or finished. I moved to computer in the middle of high school partly because I had gotten accommodations to write my notes on my laptop, but also it was just easier. I've always had messy handwriting, so it made it easier to read my work.

But it also helped with my writing process considering I worddump and then go back and edit.

Freesia.Cutepearl

Nonsensically Weird while Weirdly Nonsensical
Right now I've been using Google Docs to write, then do a once or twice over quickly + some editing/rearranging before pasting it into Scribblehub as a draft, where I skim over it once again, try to make sure the formatting looks ok, though sometimes it feels like I'm fighting it a bit.

I have multiple monitors so I tend to keep research/references on one while I write on the other. Also helps when I make changes on Scribblehub as I can put Docs on the other screen and copy/paste changes back and forth trying to keep them in sync.

As for writing without distraction, I recall hearing that George R.R. Martin wrote on an very old laptop, like with DOS, and floppy disks, etc. To not have any distractions. While you don't have to go that far, I imagine you could find an old business class laptop with a nice keyboard(many of them are really well built), and write on with the internet disconnected in a room away from anything else.

Personally I'm looking forward to the day when e-ink screens become more ubiquitous, you can already get android tablets or note taking devices that have e-ink with Wacom stylus like pens but it's very expensive. I'd love to have one with a pen and keyboard though, whenever the technology becomes more affordable.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
I write directly on my laptop as well and use Scrivener. It's more time-efficient and because of some health-related issues, really the only way for me to go. After that, I have a different document with the formatting for the websites pre-saved where I just copy the new chapter into and then have it finished with two clicks.
I only use paper (or a whiteboard - I have two of them hanging around my desk for that purpose) for some notes that I use for a longer time and need quick access to regardless of the series/chapter I'm currently working on. Also, I like to do the final editing/read-through before the paperback and ebook publication on paper since I find typos more easily that way so I usually print a copy for that.