Implemented Notification Bell.

Aoibh

Mademoiselle
Could we have a feature that notifies us on chapter updates from novels that we are reading, something like how youtube does it where we can select if we want to be notified about a specific novel with a notification bell? would be a nice feature.

The_Everdistant_Utopia

Mapmaker | Writer | Lorekeeper
Well, you see, some people have 1k books in their lists, so that will be a major inconvenience
I think what the OP was suggesting was more of a separate thing to reading lists, as he mentioned the notification button on Youtube as an example.

I can understand the point you're making about the thousands of novels in library, though.

Aoibh

Mademoiselle
Well, you see, some people have 1k books in their lists, so that will be a major inconvenience
There will be an option for individual stories, and not just for the ones that in the reading list, I have novels on my reading list that I wouldn’t use a notify option on since im not that bothered about be alerted to the updates, but for the ones I am, it would be a nice feature.

And even more so, if you have a thousand novels in your reading list wouldnt you want to be able to quickly get to the novels you are more interested in through a notification system, than milling through the reading list to see if there is an update on the story?

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
well some people have 1k subscriptions in YouTube, and I don't see that as any major inconvenience, especially for creators that rarely update

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Tbh, if it was separate from the reading list, I suppose it would be fine to have it?

But at the same time, the Reading List can be sorted by last update, so it's not like you really need this...

Aoibh

Mademoiselle
Tbh, if it was separate from the reading list, I suppose it would be fine to have it?

But at the same time, the Reading List can be sorted by last update, so it's not like you really need this...
It would be way more convenient, getting to the reading list is too many clicks than necessary. And being alerted of updates of novels you are eager to read pop up in the notification would be very pleasant visually and mentally.

AliceShiki

It would be way more convenient, getting to the reading list is too many clicks than necessary. And being alerted of updates of novels you are eager to read pop up in the notification would be very pleasant visually and mentally.
... It really doesn't take that many clicks to reach the reading list...

LostLibrarian

Although you could say the same thing about "1k books on a reading list" here. It can also be a hassle to go through sorted lists, if you don't check them daily. Especially, it is also a difference between "checking each day and getting disappointed" and "getting a notification if there is a happy occasion".

In web-development every single click used for a feature reduces the amount of people who are willing to use it. Checking your reading lists daily through extra clicks will turn off a lot of readers in the long run, especially on a site like this, where a lot of stories don't have defined dates for the chapters or can go on hiatus for months without any announcement. Even if checking it is only 2-4 clicks a day, it'll add up...

Adding a bell would be a clear improvement for these cases.
That said, as this is a free hobby project, this isn't site-breaking, and Tony's workload will decide...
And we know how that looks :D

Last edited:

AliceShiki

That said, as this is a free hobby project, this isn't site-breaking, and Tony's workload will decide...
And we know how that looks :D
Programming Scribblehub and Novelupdates are Tony's jobs, not his hobbies. He earns quite a bit from the ads on NU, you know? Ever saw how high NU was in Alexa Rankings?

Of course it is still dependent on his workload and how much time he has to dedicate to this and on how relevant he thinks this feature is (I seriously doubt he'll consider it worth his time), but like... You shouldn't think of this as Tony's hobby, it pays his bills... >.>

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
While there's no notification for such things (as an author I just post announcements on my profile so people can bypass it like that with notifications), I just put the books I'm really interested in seeing the updates into a custom, named list instead of just "Reading" and then just use the Favourites function to check on those whenever I'm checking the site. No clutter, just what you need. Better than scrolling through Bookmarks or other lists that have hundreds of positions.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Then don't have 1k books in your list. You can't read that many in one time and retain any of what you've read anyway. Poor excuse.
In web-development every single click used for a feature reduces the amount of people who are willing to use it.
Yes, yes we know. People are lazy as hell and need to be spoon-fed everything.

Personally. I like the idea. However, since this is the 4th time I've seen this thread in particular and it hasn't been implemented still, it's a good guess of how successful this petition will also be.

Last edited:

LostLibrarian

Yes, yes we know. People are lazy as hell.
Personally I don't even think it's just about being lazy but more about people being educated that way.

Same with people doing those 10 seconds "in the future" segments at the beginning of a youtube video. Started with hollywood trailers for their ads, now half the reaction or funny channels need to do that as well.
The internet went from "having every knowledge at your fingertips" to "getting your good feelings as fast as possible".

We wouldn't have this discussion without facebook, youtube, and co setting that standard for years. I mean people also scroll for hours through stupid stuff on sites without clicking anything, so it isn't really about time investment or value in itself.

It's more about the perceived value, when you get a nice notification bell with a happy message... double the Dopamine.

Aoibh

Mademoiselle
It's more about the perceived value, when you get a nice notification bell with a happy message... double the Dopamine.
Its a signifier for something that would lift your mood or something that you have been looking forward to, unlike refreshing the page and getting kicked off your reading page and having to repeat the same steps of clicking to get back to the reading list hoping for a miracle chapter update to pop up.

Yes, yes we know. People are lazy as hell and need to be spoon-fed everything.
Unlike the notification bell, its just for convenience. If Tony reads anything on here and is eager to follow up on later chapter updates - (With the bonus of them being irregular), I'm sure he would like to have it as-well.

Right @Tony ?

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
its just for convenience
Doesn't detract from my statement. If you step away from using something simply because you have to make one more click or two, than thats lazy. Convenience is a flash way of saying lazy. "Can't be bothered", and whatever else are other alterations of that same statement.

But anyway, I still support the notification bell for a new chapter appearing in fiction saved in a list. But I still doubt it will happen. As I said, this is the fourth forum thread with this exact request I've noticed in my over 2 years here. Never seen Tony react to a single one except for once when he mentioned it wasn't enough of an innovative priority for him to consider implementing it.