Implemented Notification Bell.

Aoibh

Mademoiselle
Could we have a feature that notifies us on chapter updates from novels that we are reading, something like how youtube does it where we can select if we want to be notified about a specific novel with a notification bell? would be a nice feature.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Doesn't detract from my statement. If you step away from using something simply because you have to make one more click or two, than thats lazy. Convenience is a flash way of saying lazy. "Can't be bothered", and whatever else are other alterations of that same statement.
the issue is that we aren't the customers. we're authors trying to make people read our shit, and without a notification system, we're essentially thrown into a cage fight against daily updated stories in a 1k reading list. whether they should have a 1k reading list is irrelevant. one less feature for readers is a minor hassle, but for us, it's a god damn hustle. their "can't be bothered" is a closed sign for us. convenience is a slippery tube slide that sends the consumers to us.

allow me to inflate my ego a little bit: if a reader likes my story, he'd put it in his reading list. problem is, he's also got 40 other titles and they're all getting more frequent updates than mine. it won't matter If I update anyway since I'm just gonna get dogpiled by 1k - 2k chapters again and again in the reading list. any casual readers I'll possibly receive is no more, leaving only a handful of devoted readers to get by.

a notification would bypass this problem immediately, given that it's implemented well. instead of receiving a new update under the table, the reader would receive a notice on the fly that "hey, this obscure book you really liked just updated, give it a look". they might not finish the whole thing, but at least they'll leave a view, give a favourite, write a comment, boost engagement and viola, now I'm somewhat bleeping under the radar.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
the issue is that we aren't the customers. we're authors trying to make people read our shit, and without a notification system, we're essentially thrown into a cage fight against daily updated stories in a 1k reading list. whether they should have a 1k reading list is irrelevant. one less feature for readers is a minor hassle, but for us, it's a god damn hustle. their "can't be bothered" is a closed sign for us. convenience is a slippery tube slide that sends the consumers to us.

allow me to inflate my ego a little bit: if a reader likes my story, he'd put it in his reading list. problem is, he's also got 40 other titles and they're all getting more frequent updates than mine. it won't matter If I update anyway since I'm just gonna get dogpiled by 1k - 2k chapters again and again in the reading list. any casual readers I'll possibly receive is no more, leaving only a handful of devoted readers to get by.

a notification would bypass this problem immediately, given that it's implemented well. instead of receiving a new update under the table, the reader would receive a notice on the fly that "hey, this obscure book you really liked just updated, give it a look". they might not finish the whole thing, but at least they'll leave a view, give a favourite, write a comment, boost engagement and viola, now I'm somewhat bleeping under the radar.
The way you replied, it seems you have the idea that I'm against the idea of a notification bell for story updates that are on our reading list. I've said numerous times that I am for it. My addition about laziness was mostly aimed at something LostLibrarian said that was kind of off-topic but Aoibh added to it
Just no bloodshed
Bleh. Not interested anymore.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
They had a valid point tho, Tony needs to take more advantage of the GUI, by adding more shortcuts. One of them being the Notification Bell.
Yeah I do kind of hope this gets added but as I said, I'm not particularly optimistic of it.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
They had a valid point tho, Tony needs to take more advantage of the GUI, by adding more shortcuts. One of them being the Notification Bell.
Need is a strong word. He is a single developer for two sites that have tons of features on the waiting queue... The amount of time he is willing to dedicate to those sites is limited, so he has to prioritize the more beneficial features.

It doesn't help that he also overworks himself by being the sole person in charge of approving reviews in both sites (I think he is also the one that needs to approve new series, new covers and some other stuff as well)...

With those things in mind, a super minor feature that barely makes a difference and that already has an easy to use and easily available substitute in the reading list, which is the core feature of the site, is... A super low priority, to say the least.

I'm not saying it will never happen, but don't really expect it to come before 2030 or something.

Aoibh

Mademoiselle
Need is a strong word
Depending on context, in my context it’s suitable.
And nothing is stopping him from asking for help, If he wants to not overwork himself on two sites he should ask for people who don't mind lending a hand writing some html/javaS for the sites he working on then he should ask(Which im pretty sure he is fine tho. I’m in the right place to ask for suggestion that would be beneficial to the site I just hope to get enough support for it, than someone trying to undermine it.

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Yeah I do kind of hope this gets added but as I said, I'm not particularly optimistic of it.
I'll unironically say this: we'd sooner get a sincere politician than to have this feature added.

And trust me, I'd like to eat my words in the near future.

BenJepheneT

Sincere politician? Don't hold your breath bud. You will suffocate.
I just want to live in a society

TunTun

You must think really high of yourself if you think a notification will benefit you.
Anyone who cares is already following your profile.

Just update daily.