Implemented Notify Readers

lambchap

Uhmm... I'm not a techy person so I don't know how difficult creating this feature will be. But I am hoping. I'm hoping that readers will be notified of new chapters of the story they're reading. It's quite a bummer to see a story I've read, buried in the piles of more fictions I follow, and then after a month of hiatus/dormant just updated a new chapter. A bummer, indeed. I don't have an example but think of it. What if it actually happens? The author got a sign from the sea of stars that they should continue the story.

To add, it might also increase author-reader interaction and site engagement. Who knows?

Edit: based on the replies below, we also have to consider the insane amount of notifications if this were to be implemented. And I wholly agree. Others gave an example of a much better way to handle this kind of thing like letting readers follow the author and the author post an update on their profile so they'll be notified. Others suggested letting readers sort the stories on their own profiles. And there could be so much I mightve missed. Also, the site mods/owners might also have a different idea to make this kind of feature. So let's just reserve it to them.

Last edited:

High-in-the-skys

Awkward member
This should be part of settings. I remember seeing the thread related, where someone said it's a bother to them. It can be on and off so that people can agree better to this...

Maybe add an option to notify series that changes from hiatus status to ongoing? Some people might not want to see high number of notification, especially those with large reading list and just want to check out some stories coming back from their pause.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Rn a reader can follow an author and said author can post a status update when a new update is out to notify the reader.

But yes, I don’t want to manually check the reading list every time =_=

lambchap

This should be part of settings. I remember seeing the thread related, where someone said it's a bother to them. It can be on and off so that people can agree better to this...

Maybe add an option to notify series that changes from hiatus status to ongoing? Some people might not want to see high number of notification, especially those with large reading list and just want to check out some stories coming back from their pause.
Great point! I haven't thought of the high numbers of notification bombarding us when we open our account. So an ON/OFF option (for notification) might be the solution. Although I'm put in the fog of confusion on how this will work out now that you've said it.

lambchap

Rn a reader can follow an author and said author can post a status update when a new update is out to notify the reader.

But yes, I don’t want to manually check the reading list every time =_=
Hmm. Maybe put the [Follow] button beside the [Read] button. I don't even know what that [Read] button do. This could be the answer that I'm not aware of.

And to relate it with @High-in-the-skys , maybe put the Follow/Unfollow or Read/Trash in their list of novels so it's easier to declutter if the notifications become annoying.

High-in-the-skys

Awkward member
Hmm. Maybe put the [Follow] button beside the [Read] button. I don't even know what that [Read] button do. This could be the answer that I'm not aware of.

And to relate it with @High-in-the-skys , maybe put the Follow/Unfollow or Read/Trash in their list of novels so it's easier to declutter if the notifications become annoying.
I think having an option to choose what reading list you can toggle works. Like the local reading list settings so it's possible to see novels you're waiting for. Or maybe having a follow for a specific series works? Although it's a pain to micromanage stories to follow that's why I suggest adding the option to individual reading list...

As for the [read] button, @lambchap , it just transports you to the first chapter of the story

Last edited:

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
This has been suggested multiple times and has never gotten an answer, so don't get your hopes up. It's probably not happening.

My guess is that Tony never found doing this worthwhile as you can just follow your updates through your Reading List instead.

D

Deleted member 20302

I agree with Tony. Personally, it's just a matter of convenience and comfort for all users rather than something that is a must to have.

But still upvoted since there's no reason not to consider it.

lambchap

I agree with Tony. Personally, it's just a matter of convenience and comfort for all users rather than something that is a must to have.

But still upvoted since there's no reason not to consider it.
Yeah, it isn't a must have. And maybe Tony has a different and better ideas than this. SH is still young after all. There's still time and room for improvements.

Aaky

This is not a good idea. Plenty of people have up to 100 books on their reading list. If they were to get a notification for all of them, it would be a nightmare. If they really want notifications - why not follow the author?

bigbear51

This is not a good idea. Plenty of people have up to 100 books on their reading list. If they were to get a notification for all of them, it would be a nightmare. If they really want notifications - why not follow the author?
That's also what I was thinking. Personally, I'd like to have it be an option that I can set specific stories to get notifications on. Or on certain lists, because I'm sure plenty of people put things on their reading lists so they don't forget about the story, but aren't keeping up with its updates.

deltanz

Vanguard Squad
you can edit what order your follow stories show up in the list to a few different ways, I have mine setup to have the top one be the latest one updated but otherwise i wouldn't mind another way to get notified.

Tony

Staff member
Uhmm... I'm not a techy person so I don't know how difficult creating this feature will be. But I am hoping. I'm hoping that readers will be notified of new chapters of the story they're reading. It's quite a bummer to see a story I've read, buried in the piles of more fictions I follow, and then after a month of hiatus/dormant just updated a new chapter. A bummer, indeed. I don't have an example but think of it. What if it actually happens? The author got a sign from the sea of stars that they should continue the story.

To add, it might also increase author-reader interaction and site engagement. Who knows?

Edit: based on the replies below, we also have to consider the insane amount of notifications if this were to be implemented. And I wholly agree. Others gave an example of a much better way to handle this kind of thing like letting readers follow the author and the author post an update on their profile so they'll be notified. Others suggested letting readers sort the stories on their own profiles. And there could be so much I mightve missed. Also, the site mods/owners might also have a different idea to make this kind of feature. So let's just reserve it to them.

Feature was implemented here: https://forum.scribblehub.com/threads/new-features-reading-list-alerts-user-stats-and-more.7075/