Now it turns out that my novel is now inclusive and Woke?

Reyezwriting

I'm not sure what you mean with this comment...
I'm also writing something resembling OP, despite me not being LGBT either.
OP here, got unsolicited advice.
I, on the other hand, sought advice from someone, and our beliefs and ideas could not be more different.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I'm also writing something resembling OP, despite me not being LGBT either.
OP here, got unsolicited advice.
I, on the other hand, sought advice from someone, and our beliefs and ideas could not be more different.
Oh, got it!

Well, sometimes we get some pretty bad advice... It's good that you can filter through that though! ^^)/

Maze_Runner

□■ - I like running in mazes - ■□
Vilhelm It's a rather curious case, this character has many interesting things, but I don't even know how I wrote it, I didn't have it planned, but when I started writing about him, he wrote himself, I don't know if you understand me. He is mainly looking for a challenge, someone with whom to give his best in a chess game called war.

And from Lisa, I thought it would be fun to have a character that you would normally see and think, yes she is the villain, but no, she is on the side of the protagonist almost from the beginning.

As always, thank you all very much for your comments.
I think I'd get along with both, you mind setting me up?

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
Some of your readers that fancy themselves critics will seek to fundamentally change your story.

Write it the best you can, your way. My advice to you is to ignore these type of people and try not to give them any attention.

KittraMcBriar

So you wrote a story about a trans person and then got upset when queer people liked it~ that’s hilarious thank you for sharing

longer

Balls
So you wrote a story about a trans person and then got upset when queer people liked it~ that’s hilarious thank you for sharing
Liking a story and offering patronizing suggestions are not the same.

And please don't make this an issue about LGBTQ people in general. It's disrespectful to drag a whole community into an issue like this.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Gender Bender doesn't necessarily have to deal with trans issues, yanno?

Some gender benders are just played for laughs, some are more of a plot device, some are used as an excuse to make a yuri/yaoi harem, and some treat themselves seriously and are more introspective and stuff.

I lost count of how many gender benders that the gender bending aspect barely amount to anything, so like... Well, having gender bender on the series hardly amounts to it being about a trans character.

KittraMcBriar

Liking a story and offering patronizing suggestions are not the same.

And please don't make this an issue about LGBTQ people in general. It's disrespectful to drag a whole community into an issue like this.
I didn’t, though? OP was the one who kept bringing them up and saying it wasn’t “for them” while featuring a person in their story who is, by all definitions, one of the “them” they were referring to
If you’re gonna call someone out for “dragging a whole community” into something maybe start with the guy who…I don’t know…actually brought them up in the initial post this entire thread is responding to, and super disrespectfully via letter vomit, at that?
Gender Bender doesn't necessarily have to deal with trans issues, yanno?

Some gender benders are just played for laughs, some are more of a plot device, some are used as an excuse to make a yuri/yaoi harem, and some treat themselves seriously and are more introspective and stuff.

I lost count of how many gender benders that the gender bending aspect barely amount to anything, so like... Well, having gender bender on the series hardly amounts to it being about a trans character.
And stories about trans people don’t have to deal with trans issues, either. Sometimes trans people just have adventures that aren’t about their “issues” or being trans specifically. It’s still a story about a trans person, and it’s understandable that trans people might be drawn to it

Also, OP, you’re using the term “inclusive” when what you’re talking about—adding characters specifically for getting “diversity points” and no other reason, is generally called tokenism. “Inclusive” is pretty vague, but generally…it just means you have a lot of types of characters in your story and it isn’t all just homogenous cis white able-bodied American men with no mental illnesses and a few tokens thrown in or something similar. And if you’re writing about a diverse range of characters purely because that’s what you find to be cool and fun, congratulations! You’re extra inclusive because it’s coming from a genuine place.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 54065

Just write what you want and add characters that you like. It's your story, not theirs. Filter the feedback you receive, take only what is helpful or needed.

Olga_Haus

“This should probably be inclusive” is a good thing to demand of the art coming from the Global Corporations that dominate our culture. We probably should hold them to that standard, critique their attempts, and bully them a bit.

“Just do whatever you want” is a better thing to ask of individual and independent writers and artists. “Just make your stuff. Just get your perspective out there.”

A lot of the nonsense that gets talked comes from not understanding that difference in scale.

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
Give me the TLDR please.
Someone fancied themselves a critic of the OP's story and they said he should work with them to make it more representational. He said, "Fuck off," and was wondering if normal people that don't look for inclusive checkboxes in their stories thought his story was 'woke' because of gender bender.

And preceded to list off a few of his characters.
It appears less that he got upset over someone liking it, but rather he got upset with someone trying to bastardize his art for their own reasons.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
Someone fancied themselves a critic of the OP's story and they said he should work with them to make it more representational. He said, "Fuck off," and was wondering if normal people that don't look for inclusive checkboxes in their stories thought his story was 'woke' because of gender bender.

And preceded to list off a few of his characters.

It appears less that he got upset over someone liking it, but rather he got upset with someone trying to bastardize his art for their own reasons.
These people won't around much longer anyway thanks to monkey pox.

ShrimpShady

I had an aneurysm reading the first few sentences as it felt like my brain was sucked through a wormhole to the peak of anti-SJW edgelordery circa 2016 or so.

But yeah, you have no obligation to take shit from anybody. Just write what you want.

Amok

grblbrbl
These people won't around much longer anyway thanks to monkey pox.
I for one embrace our new mutated monke overlords

bulmabriefs144

Hello all.

Recently, on another site where I published my novel, a person appeared to be a member of an association LGBTIQARPGNTR+% √3 HILUX apache V8 hybrid and knuckles. He said that although it was an attempt on my part, my novel clearly lacked more diversity in its characters and representation and that he wanted me to collaborate with him to make sure I could fix this problem beforehand. I imagine that the user is from California and is going to use the Activision Blizzard Diversity Algorithm.

I obviously told him very respectfully no way in hell and get the fuck out. Most likely he wanted to steal the story.

First of all, my story is mainly written under The rule of cool. I write what I want to write, period. Half of the characters are members of the protagonist's harem, and they are types of fantasy characters that I like. There's a mermaid simply because I like how Monster Mosume's mermaid looks.

Now, I find it curious that even so he (yes, I'm going to call HE, because according to the laws of the internet, every woman is a man until proven otherwise) seemed to believe that the story was trying to be inclusive although never It was my intention.

So now I have a doubt, does my novel really look inclusive seen by normal people?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to change anything about my story.

What I want to know is what do you think, do you think my characters appear to be there only for representation or if they feel like characters relevant to the plot?

These are the ones that I think are more "diverse"

Cesar, the protagonist: he was a male soldier, things happen, and he ends up in the body of a fox girl, albino. He continues to define himself as a man. He is from Costa Rica, a country without an army, because that is relevant to the plot.

Tamamo-no-Mae: Japanese goddess of the moon, things happen and she marries the protagonist. Her main role is to support the protagonist and comfort him when he is afraid. She never met the protagonist before the transformation but she knows he is a man, the same protagonist told her when they met.

Lisa: A succubus demon, she's crazy (a yandere) but she recognized it herself and tries to control herself (she knows she won't win a fight against the MC even as a joke, so her preservation instinct is triggered and she accepts the other girls ). She would be wife number 2. She's blue, she has wings, she's a fucking demon, although she's normally a good person.

Momo: A rather shy angel due to her special body, she is made of glass. She doesn't like to leave the House for the same reason.

Kazumi and Charlotte: They are two dolls that work more like a single AI with two bodies. Cesar adopted them and they behave like his adopted daughters. It was that or they would make a nuclear attack against USA and Russia XD.

Xi'an: A professional assassin from China. Due to fate, she almost always ends up bumping into the protagonist. In theory she comes from a family of demon slayers but she hasn't gotten to that point yet.

Vilhelm: of Austrian origin, one of the antagonists of history. Not much more to say , just look at the picture

Anastasia Kuznetsova: Of Russian origin, fuck everyone, I wrote this character 5 years ago, I'm not going to change everything just because some bastards decided to invade a country. She was a central point of the story, many things happen because of her, but not because of her directly, she is dead before the story begins. She is the wife of one of the antagonists, but she is a good person and was friends with the protagonist.

There are many more but I think these are the most different among all. The story takes place mainly in Japan but other places in the world or fantasy are constantly visited.

Although they talk about some issues such as the protagonist's decision not to give much importance to his new gender, and what his family thinks about the situation. The fact MC decided to adopt two robots as his daughters along with three other women. I think if I put a lot of stuff like that in that maybe "some people" on Twitter think this story is for them when it really isn't.

Like I said before, I don't give a damn about inclusion, I just care about creating a good story. But even so, I would like to know what you think of the matter, does the story feel inclusive? Does any character seem to be there just to fill in a racial box?

My story is probably diverse without trying. Mainly just cuz I like lesbian fiction and gender bending stuff.

But since I'm conservative, nobody would label it "woke." In fact, I go out of my way to critique COVID or the latest climate crap, or anything that pisses me off, really. Basically, Rule of Cool + Rule of Suck. If something sucks badly enough, I'll vent about it, but not bother to remove it from the story when done. Likewise, if something is awesome, it doesn't matter that it has utterly nothing to do with the plot. My story will explain that shapeshifting Jesus is feeding vampires his/her blood. Or that Christmas has freaking Odin as Santa, and his elves are all hardcore Tolkien elves who give wolf meat instead of cookies.

Your characters are all very cute. I can only edit online art, I can't create good art from scratch.
Yandere is enough "diversity" for me, honestly. A glass body? And I like that the main character is basically a tomboy as a result of the change. Loli goth twins with a single consciousness, fine. Xi'an is an actual name of Chinese city, btw.

Vilhelm doesn't do anything for me. Also, you'd have an all female cast without this guy.

Honestly? I don't care about Ukraine anyway. And I hate that we're in a stupid war. So, Russia? Sure, whatever.
Also, Irina is my fave anime right now. Set in fantasy Russia, involves borscht and a vampire. Totally cool with it.

Last edited:

ElliePorter

Crimson Queen Of The Night
Dont listen to that fool.

You write what you want to write. Its your story.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
it might be woke?

KILL IT!!! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!! KILL IT WITH FIRE SO INTENSE IT'S HOTTER THAN BANGING YOUR MOM LAST NIGHT!
BURN IT TO NOTHING! SALT THE EARTH WHERE IT ONCE STOOD! CARPET THE REMAINS WITH INCONTINENT SPIDERS!
REDUCE THAT BOOK TO A SLURRY OF ASH, SODIUM, AND ARACHNID PIDDLE!

Sigh...

Here's the problem... I get it, the knee jerk response to hate all things woke. The problem is, there actually is some good ideas among the wokerotti. That's why they get away with shit. Yes, I hate people being afraid. Yes, I am tolerant of other people's choices. NO, I don't have a problem with your one legged trans black-jew-chinese superhero.

I have a problem with the story being trash and your insistence of THE MESSAGE over plot. I have a problem with your stereotypes being a substitute for character development and the fact that truth told, YOU ARE SEXIST, RACIST, AND BIGOTED AS ALL FUCK!

Yeah. I said it. The woke are all bigots. Intolerant bigoted bastards. I even accept the irony of my statement. however, unlike them, I hate the sin, but not the sinner. I believe in redemption and anyone who is woke can simply STOP being woke, and I no longer have a problem with YOU.

It's okay if your book has superficial ties to woke concepts. The woke are intolerant. They are racist, sexist, bigots, by the nature of their beliefs. Is your BOOK sexist, racist or bigoted? And I don't mean characters. Characters can be that, the question is does your narrator say things like:

Bob, who deep down inside hated himself for being a white male, because we all know white males are evil right down to their black little hearts that don't pump blood like you or I but a thin oily viscious fluid that I have no doubt would deslove both flesh, bone, metal and stone should it ever be split, said, "Hi. I'd like to buy an expresso." and oppressed the black woman serving him coffee, NO DOUBT. WOULD IT HURT YOU TO LEAVE A TIP? SHE'S GOT COLLEGE LOANS TO PAY OFF!!!

That would be a bigoted story, where as:

Bob sneered at the black woman serving him coffee and thought to himself, ~Goddamn bitch. Look at her. I bet she's one of those woke cunts. I bet she's going to spit in my coffee while my back is turned. All these black women are alike. All brainwashed. Can't trust any of these fuckers these days.~ When she brought him his coffee, she gave him a polite smile and said, "Here you go! Have a nice day!" Bob took the coffee with a fake smile and refused to leave a tip. As he walked away he thought, ~Revenge is mine! No tip for you!~

Is a story about a bigot.

I'm sure you can tell the difference. Trust yourself and be yourself. Remember Characters can be assholes, but narrators shouldn't be.

Last edited:

bulmabriefs144

Dont listen to that fool.

You write what you want to write. Its your story.
Hey you don't be calling me fool, fool! I pity the fool.

White Mister T approves.

Oh, maybe you were talking about the fool in the original post (it's just that it immediately followed my post).