Nvm lmao

• Thread starter Deleted member 42008
  • Start date

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
so since people are sharing their concerns about copyrights (rightfully so) about photos and art, I’ve just decided to delete the post entirely. Thanks!
I just want to say: fuck every bastard who talked about that stuff in the thread. Mfkers. You never need to really worry about copyright unless you are making money using the cover. Also it's pretty easy to check if the image is copyrighted too.

There are even websites that give you a lot of stock photos to edit and use for free without worrying about being sued. Since they are stock images.

D

Deleted member 42008

I just want to say: fuck every bastard who talked about that stuff in the thread. Mfkers. You never need to really worry about copyright unless you are making money using the cover. Also it's pretty easy to check if the image is copyrighted too.

There are even websites that give you a lot of stock photos to edit and use for free without worrying about being sued. Since they are stock images.
Thank you, I appreciate it! I just don’t get it, like why come telling me these things when there are millions of people who do the same thing? Like why aren’t you telling them those things too? I know that it’s obviously never okay to steal from artists, but I wasn’t trying to hurt anyone in the process. Idk I’m just gonna move on from it.

The last thing I ever want to do is offend anyone. But thank you for coming to my defense ❤️

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Thank you, I appreciate it! I just don’t get it, like why come telling me these things when there are millions of people who do the same thing? Like why aren’t you telling them those things too? I know that it’s obviously never okay to steal from artists, but I wasn’t trying to hurt anyone in the process. Idk I’m just gonna move on from it.

The last thing I ever want to do is offend anyone. But thank you for coming to my defense ❤️
Its just cuz you're the one here, that's all. They ain't gonna call out every single person who does the same, but since you're here right now they gonna bitch to you. Yeah dont worry about it.

Try to do something good for people and they gotta whine about it. "What about COPYRIGHT? I want something I can OWN. You should just STOP TRYING TO HELP US OUT OF YOUR OWN GOOD WILL because you arent doing it right! Reeeeeee!"
Like fine. Copy right is a serious matter. But they are being real fucking picky, you know? You never said you are going to create a whole unique cover for them to use commercially. Just something casual and neat to use instead of the ugly default Scribblehub cover.

I mean I didnt read all the comments but that sounds like what went down. I wouldnt be worrying about copyright unless I was damn sure I was going to publish the story for sale. And was doing it soon. Otherwise I would just be " cool, a pretty cover! Thanks dude!" And be grateful.

IvyVeritas

I just want to say: fuck every bastard who talked about that stuff in the thread. Mfkers. You never need to really worry about copyright unless you are making money using the cover.

That's ... not how fair use laws work. How would you feel if someone posted your story on another site without your permission?

Yes, it's true that there's significantly more risk if you're making money with the cover, but how many authors here have Patreon accounts, ebooks, or other paid products or services? How many of them would know to ask about usage rights?

No one attacked her for her offer. We pointed out better ways of handling it. That included mentioning free stock image sites, as you yourself suggested. Making a cover for yourself is one thing, but when providing covers to other people, you absolutely need to be aware of rights issues.

D

Deleted member 42008

Its just cuz you're the one here, that's all. They ain't gonna call out every single person who does the same, but since you're here right now they gonna bitch to you. Yeah dont worry about it.

Try to do something good for people and they gotta whine about it. "What about COPYRIGHT? I want something I can OWN. You should just STOP TRYING TO HELP US OUT OF YOUR OWN GOOD WILL because you arent doing it right! Reeeeeee!"
Like fine. Copy right is a serious matter. But they are being real fucking picky, you know? You never said you are going to create a whole unique cover for them to use commercially. Just something casual and neat to use instead of the ugly default Scribblehub cover.

I mean I didnt read all the comments but that sounds like what went down. I wouldnt be worrying about copyright unless I was damn sure I was going to publish the story for sale. And was doing it soon. Otherwise I would just be " cool, a pretty cover! Thanks dude!" And be grateful.
Preach

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
That's ... not how fair use laws work. How would you feel if someone posted your story on another site without your permission?

Yes, it's true that there's significantly more risk if you're making money with the cover, but how many authors here have Patreon accounts, ebooks, or other paid products or services? How many of them would know to ask about usage rights?

No one attacked her for her offer. We pointed out better ways of handling it. That included mentioning free stock image sites, as you yourself suggested. Making a cover for yourself is one thing, but when providing covers to other people, you absolutely need to be aware of rights issues.
....nigga people HAVE taken my works and posted them without my permission, one of them I even have up for purchase. I dont give a single fuck. Just free advertising for me anyway. I'm not the right person to ask that question to.

And I personally have never seen backlash from people having images as long as they arent getting money from it. Yes they should be aware of the finer details of copy right and fair use. But it's their fault if they arent aware, too. They should take the time to learn about these things on their own.

IvyVeritas

Yes they should be aware of the finer details of copy right and fair use. But it's their fault if they arent aware, too. They should take the time to learn about these things on their own.

Then you agree that people should be aware of these issues ... but if someone tries to help them become aware of these issues, then that person is a bastard and a motherfucker, as you called me earlier?

JaxCreation

I just come from Wattpad where hundreds of people use Pinterest for their book covers.
I just want to say: fuck every bastard who talked about that stuff in the thread. Mfkers.
I just don’t get it, like why come telling me these things when there are millions of people who do the same thing? Like why aren’t you telling them those things too?

Wattpad actually did create an “official” thread explaining fair use and copyright for cover/graphics-making before they nuked the forums – but uh, then they nuked the forums, lol.

It’s normalised behaviour on there because barely anyone making covers on the site knows how copyright works and Wattpad never bothered to try and make people aware of it until way too late, via a platform that would only reach a fraction of its users.

SH, by comparison, appears to be more on top of things, especially given how contests on the site require you to have sources for your covers.

I personally have never seen backlash from people having images as long as they arent getting money from it. Yes they should be aware of the finer details of copy right and fair use. But it's their fault if they arent aware, too. They should take the time to learn about these things on their own.

Most people don’t bother to learn about this on their own because it’s rare to get in trouble for doing it. As this thread appears to have demonstrated: why should they bother changing the way they do things when everyone else is doing it too?

I didnt read all the comments but that sounds like what went down. I wouldnt be worrying about copyright unless I was damn sure I was going to publish the story for sale. And was doing it soon.

The only reason this came up in the first place is because someone who was thinking about asking for a cover wanted to know what the usage rights were on it, which is a fair enough question to ask, imo. Maybe they actually were thinking of self-publishing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Then you agree that people should be aware of these issues ... but if someone tries to help them become aware of these issues, then that person is a bastard and a motherfucker, as you called me earlier?
Look mate from what I read at the original post it just felt like people were whining about any copyright issues that might pop up. Which fine, is a legit concern, but if it had been a problem before one would assume OP wouldn't be doing I this or would at least have mentioned it.

Again, I have NEVER HEARD OF ANYONE here or elsewhere getting in trouble for using images from wherever they find it. Never. I dunno, just doesnt seem very common that it happens. Usually it doesnt go beyond the artist contacting the author and asking it be taken down. It's just never been a very big concern for me or anyone I know or people they know. Doesnt mean it shouldnt be a concern, just that it probably isnt one you have to worry so much about unless you are going to publish it through official channels. Like Amazon or Google Playbooks.

If you're being helpful, you arent a cunt. If you aent being helpful, you're a cunt.

Now, I did go read comments after the fact. So I know you arent a cunt. But if you were, just know you arent special. I didnt single you out specifically. If I had I would've called you a cunt....specifically. In a reply to you. As one does. But you arent so I didnt.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Wattpad actually did create an “official” thread explaining fair use and copyright for cover/graphics-making before they nuked the forums – but uh, then they nuked the forums, lol.

It’s normalised behaviour on there because barely anyone making covers on the site knows how copyright works and Wattpad never bothered to try and make people aware of it until way too late, via a platform that would only reach a fraction of its users.

SH, by comparison, appears to be more on top of things, especially given how contests on the site require you to have sources for your covers.

Most people don’t bother to learn about this on their own because it’s rare to get in trouble for doing it. As this thread appears to have demonstrated: why should they bother changing the way they do things when everyone else is doing it too?

Mind, the only reason this came up in the first place is because someone who was thinking about asking for a cover wanted to know what the usage rights were on it, which is a fair enough question to ask, imo. Maybe they were thinking of self-publishing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That's just negligence. Just cuz it's rare doesnt mean you shouldnt also be aware. I took the time to do it. So i feel no sympathy for those people who dont themselves. Their own fault if they get in trouble. I mean sure you can inform people if you understand they dont know, but you cant do that for every one.

As for people self publishing, they already do. But are they planning g to publish FOR SALE? That's the key difference. Now I didnt read the comments. I just thought people were whining and being ungrateful about an issue that normally isnt a problem, and if had been a problem for the OP before would probably have been mentioned.

I mean i dunno if she is aware of it but editing images isnt uncommon and some people use the 30% law to get around copyright infringement. Which is still always iffy. The best way is to both change 30% of the image, and choose an image that is so basic bitch that you basically cant verify the image belongs to any particular artist. I'm not sure if that's what she does, tho I doubt It since she didnt know much about copyright to begin with.

Tho either way, again its normally never really an issue unless the author publishes their work to Amazon or whatever and the artists see it and decides to copyright strike them. Which...you know, how often does that occur in our circle? I'd be interested to know. Cuz I dont quite believe the images I use right now, if I published a story to Amazon with that cover, would ever be discovered by the artist. Maybe If the story REALLY blew up.

IvyVeritas

Look mate from what I read at the original post it just felt like people were whining about any copyright issues that might pop up. Which fine, is a legit concern, but if it had been a problem before one would assume OP wouldn't be doing I this or would at least have mentioned it.

Again, I have NEVER HEARD OF ANYONE here or elsewhere getting in trouble for using images from wherever they find it. Never. I dunno, just doesnt seem very common that it happens. Usually it doesnt go beyond the artist contacting the author and asking it be taken down. It's just never been a very big concern for me or anyone I know or people they know. Doesnt mean it shouldnt be a concern, just that it probably isnt one you have to worry so much about unless you are going to publish it through official channels. Like Amazon or Google Playbooks.

If you're being helpful, you arent a cunt. If you aent being helpful, you're a cunt.

Now, I did go read comments after the fact. So I know you arent a cunt. But if you were, just know you arent special. I didnt single you out specifically. If I had I would've called you a cunt....specifically. In a reply to you. As one does. But you arent so I didnt.

I *do* publish through Amazon, as do other authors who post their stories on ScribbleHub and may be looking for book covers. Annabellemoon's portfolio looked good enough that people might have been interested in using her covers for ebooks. Ovidlemma's question about rights was a natural one, as were my follow-up posts after Annabelle mentioned she wasn't aware of the issues involved.

For the record, ScribbleHub's own terms of service state not to post anything that "risks copyright infringement." It doesn't say anything about "unless the original artist is unlikely to find out."

And you absolutely did call me out. You said, and I quote, "fuck every bastard who talked about that stuff in the thread. Mfkers." I was the primary poster talking about that stuff in the thread.

That you later admitted you didn't even read the thread before posting was just the icing on the cake.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I *do* publish through Amazon, as do other authors who post their stories on ScribbleHub and may be looking for book covers. Annabellemoon's portfolio looked good enough that people might have been interested in using her covers for ebooks. Ovidlemma's question about rights was a natural one, as were my follow-up posts after Annabelle mentioned she wasn't aware of the issues involved.

For the record, ScribbleHub's own terms of service state not to post anything that "risks copyright infringement." It doesn't say anything about "unless the original artist is unlikely to find out."

And you absolutely did call me out. You said, and I quote, "fuck every bastard who talked about that stuff in the thread. Mfkers." I was the primary poster talking about that stuff in the thread.

That you later admitted you didn't even read the thread before posting was just the icing on the cake.
I already explained that people who were being helpful arent a cunt. So nothing about you was ever mentioned even indirectly because you weren't being an unhelpful cunt. I dunno why you're bothering to pursue this.
As for people looking for a cover for works published for sale, that's all well and good but from what I saw OP never mentioned that the images she makes should be used for commercial purposes. In general it should have been understood this was for people who just wanted a nice cover for works that ARENT for sale. Free covers for something you plan to use on works that are gonna be for sale? Kinda expecting a bit much there

My comment was for anyone who was or would whine about someone trying to be helpful. Not people who would say "thats a nice gesture but you should be aware of a few things..."

Clear difference.

OvidLemma

so since people are sharing their concerns about copyrights (rightfully so) about photos and art, I’ve just decided to delete the post entirely. Thanks!
I just stopped back to check this post after a while away, and I want to say: I'm the one who first brought up copyright issues (though it almost certainly would have been brought up by somebody else), but I earnestly hope I haven't discouraged you from making covers or given the wrong impression about what is reasonable to expect. Your covers are quite stylish and, if we ignore rights issues, you could probably make some money making covers for people. Of course, once the topic of copyright was broached, it was bound to snowball out of control. My own opinion is that, for novels that you don't intend to make money off of (or intend to make a fresh cover for the sale copy), as long as you make a good-faith effort to find images that are royalty-free or get author permission, it's just not worrying about and you might as well have fun.

What I do when making covers, if I am working from source images, is find images that are indicated to be free for commercial use (even if I'm not planning on using the image commercially), and take a screenshot of the page so I can note when and where I got the image from (below). Then I'll continue to search for that image to see if I can track down the artist or any other sources indicating that the image is not free for use.

Obviously, you can't be 100% sure for any image. The Internet isn't exactly scrupulous about use rights, especially once you get to sites in the less-mainstream corners of the online world. But I figure that, if you've done your due diligence, you're okay up to and until the artist or publisher complains about it - at which point, you take the cover down, apologize, and provide proof that you've acted in good faith. However, I've never had this happen and I've made considerable use of presumably-free source and clip art in several of my covers, usually in heavily-edited manner.

For instance, when I made the cover to my novel, More Curses! (below), I took free clip art of a brick wall, a gold coin, and a raven and edited them into the cover (the blue sky and eldritch tentacles I made myself). Since I've got these images in one big Photoshop file, it wouldn't be a big deal for me to take any of the above out and insert a new piece of free art if the original photographer informed me that the site that had posted the image as free for commercial use with modification was in error.

Free Image.JPG
More Curses Cover_sm.jpg