official unfinished book cover on "My Power-Shifting Ability is Convenient Even in Another World"

BoundLess

I would like to show you my original unfinishedfanart, at the same time, promoting my novel HAHAHA.

These 2 characters, Shin Soru and Mitsuha Reika, are the main characters on my novel "My Power-Shifting Ability is Convenient Even in Another World" and my first book 1 cover (made by myself, cuz am an artist HAHAHAHA)
IMG_20220413_145348.jpg

but yeah, any feedbacks about their design? (especially who already read the first chapter, and sorry in advance because i'll work the book cover first before adding the 2nd chapter, so wait a lil' bit longer, and thank you for your support!) and yes, this is their official character design.

to those who are interested in my novel, do visit the link: https://www.scribblehub.com/series/...-ability-is-convenient-even-in-another-world/

maybe you'll like it, smh? and yeah, do visit my IG account if ur interested on my artworks: https://www.instagram.com/katoukus/

BoundLess

What the- HAHAHAHHA. on second look, they look like they're doing it.

btw what about their character designs? is it good?

SailusGebel

They look generic. Maybe it's because the art is unfinished, but I doubt they will change much after you finish the art.

BoundLess

They look generic. Maybe it's because the art is unfinished, but I doubt they will change much after you finish the art.
what are the parts that looks generic? their character design? please specify so that maybe I will change it. their designs are like that because, the mc must be an average-looking dude, while the girl will be a mysterious-like women, and her design is inclined to her power on the future arcs. I will include drawing backgrounds later, because drawing backgrounds is much easier than shaping the character, since I use references to draw backgrounds HAHAHAHA.

btw thank you for ur opinion, deeply appreciated it ♥️. I'm still learning and have a long way to go to imporve my art

SailusGebel

what are the parts that looks generic? their character design? please specify so that maybe I will change it. their designs are like that because, the mc must be an average-looking dude, while the girl will be a mysterious-like women, and her design is inclined to her power on the future arcs. I will include drawing backgrounds later, because drawing backgrounds is much easier than shaping the character, since I use references to draw backgrounds HAHAHAHA.

btw thank you for ur opinion, deeply appreciated it ♥️. I'm still learning and have a long way to go to imporve my art
Yes, the designs. I can understand why the boy looks generic, yet it doesn't help. Yet another Japanese schoolboy with short black hair, it is an extremely generic design. Even small tweaks like giving a slightly different hairstyle(making hair curly) or giving different eyes(bags under eyes) won't save this design\archetype. It's a boring and generic look. When I look at such an mc on the cover, there is no desire to click on it to read what will happen next. I've already read such stories.

As for the girl, you said she is mysterious, but I don't see any mystery at all. In fact, she gives a somewhat cheeky, maybe slight tsundere vibe. About her design, it's a generic and plain Japanese schoolgirl. Well, at least her hair ain't long, and it barely counts as a plus, but it's not enough.

As I said, I get it. They are from Japan, they are from a Japanese school, and still, they look extremely generic. And I'm not talking about the quality of your art. Your art is okay. On this forum, I've seen much worse art. I'm talking about design. Maybe this could've been saved by a unique art style, but so far, as you said yourself, you are only learning.

It's an opinion of an average dude that isn't an artist. No offense meant.

BoundLess

Yes, the designs. I can understand why the boy looks generic, yet it doesn't help. Yet another Japanese schoolboy with short black hair, it is an extremely generic design. Even small tweaks like giving a slightly different hairstyle(making hair curly) or giving different eyes(bags under eyes) won't save this design\archetype. It's a boring and generic look. When I look at such an mc on the cover, there is no desire to click on it to read what will happen next. I've already read such stories.

As for the girl, you said she is mysterious, but I don't see any mystery at all. In fact, she gives a somewhat cheeky, maybe slight tsundere vibe. About her design, it's a generic and plain Japanese schoolgirl. Well, at least her hair ain't long, and it barely counts as a plus, but it's not enough.

As I said, I get it. They are from Japan, they are from a Japanese school, and still, they look extremely generic. And I'm not talking about the quality of your art. Your art is okay. On this forum, I've seen much worse art. I'm talking about design. Maybe this could've been saved by a unique art style, but so far, as you said yourself, you are only learning.

It's an opinion of an average dude that isn't an artist. No offense meant.
didn't find offensive at all. It's better I found more perceptive person here to criticize my art, because lately all they do is to appreciate, without dropping some serious criticism like this. I'll try to tweak it by change their designs so that they'll fit to the character I desired. Thank you for your wonderful advice ☺️

Siostar

didn't find offensive at all. It's better I found more perceptive person here to criticize my art, because lately all they do is to appreciate, without dropping some serious criticism like this. I'll try to tweak it by change their designs so that they'll fit to the character I desired. Thank you for your wonderful advice ☺️

I'm not a great critic if that is what you are looking for, so I will just say what I think.
First at all, I think the girl is placed in an awkward position and I'm pretty sure you know what I mean xD
I recommend to turn her the other way, so she look back from her right side, I'm guessing that you are hiding her hands but it have a usual look for me.

For the character design, I can tell Soru looks like the bored and/or the tired kind of guy. As Sailus said, he is quite genetic apart from his strong build?

Where as Reika impression could be the cheeky girl who will bother Soru because she is bored or have nothing better to do. Then again, it's hard draw a mysterious character unless you give them that kind background? For now, she have that 'oh?' face because of the mouth shape, a closed mouth may give her a more silent expression that most girls with a mysterious aura seems to have.

What could help with the genetic design:
  • Change the uniform design. It's like the minimum design you have right now, and why do Soru have longer sleeve than Reika? :blobrofl:
  • Hair color, don't use pure black for the hair. Try to use a really dark purple for Reika's or just add it on the hair rim, might help on the mysterious impression. Likewise for Soru, a really dark blue for a cold personality or a dark brown/green for a more friendly one? Not that you need to color after my recommendation.
  • Hair accessory for Reika
  • Messy clothes for Soru
  • Unique body shape in general, tho this one is though
Well, the ideas probably wouldn't get rid of the genenic feeling since you are using a japanese school genre which is genetic by itself, but I hope it helps~

Vladarius

Tis but a scratch. Tis but a flesh wound.
Shapes can dictate a characters personality, for example. If you want to draw a buffoon king, you would usually draw a fatty with many circles in the design, because circles can represent ignorance, happiness, and overall dumbness of something. Squares are hard and sharp, so you usually tend to see the more serious and brutish characters have much more squared facial structure with much more of a square oriented design. For your characters, design wise, I wouldn't be able to discern them from a crowd of other characters because their design is way too generic.

The only thing I can find out from the both of them is that the male is confident yet cautious, his pose and overall vibe is "Don't approach." I don't know his dislikes based on his clothing, pose, etc.

The female seems to be the cold empress type, she rarely shows emotions, while her pose does say she tends to be curious and intrigued. However, that's all, likes and dislikes, which are always a very important part of design, aren't there.

By dislikes and likes can we as an audience relate to the characters and show emotion.