Old Jaded MC's

JayDirex

In our stories we all write, relatively young MC's full of hope and promise. Hell, most of mine are in high school or barely out. But Gawd-damnit. How come we don't write about 35 year-old, jaded, jerk MC's who've seen some shyte? :blob_reach: :biggrin_s:

We discriminate against the MC who will look at an absurd isekai villain, squint at him and say, "Jeez-fgn-krais, who is this guy?"

I want him to say jaded stuff like, "No, you harem of trouble ain't coming with me. You'll drag me down." Then slips out in the middle of the night, because to hell with a harem.

you guys get where I'm going.

An older MC who doesn't pay child support on Earth, so he ain't shit in an isekai world :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 54065

Mine is an isekaied 27 y/o virgin dude who's a six-year veteran teacher from a dysfunctional education system. He's not a jerk though.

Amok

grblbrbl
the trick with when you is jaded is to hack gem chunks from your legs and carve them into pretty idols and sell them

BlackKnightX

That’d be quite funny. Haven’t seen much of an old mc who’s also a jerk at the same time, but I‘ve seen some Japanese light novels with middle-age to old protagonists. Shouldn’t be that hard to find on Google. Go check it out.

Or maybe you should write one yourself and see how it goes.

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
Even if the 'old' (thanks for nothing, youngster) MC exists, how many chicks in his harem over 30?! That are not 200 yo vampires with the body of a 16 yo I mean.

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
In our stories we all write, relatively young MC's full of hope and promise. Hell, most of mine are in high school or barely out. But Gawd-damnit. How come we don't write about 35 year-old, jaded, jerk MC's who've seen some shyte? :blob_reach: :biggrin_s:

We discriminate against the MC who will look at an absurd isekai villain, squint at him and say, "Jeez-fgn-krais, who is this guy?"

I want him to say jaded stuff like, "No, you harem of trouble ain't coming with me. You'll drag me down." Then slips out in the middle of the night, because to hell with a harem.

you guys get where I'm going.

An older MC who doesn't pay child support on Earth, so he ain't shit in an isekai world :ROFLMAO:
Isn't a lot of the reason behind the age trend due to the age of those who write them?
Then again, I don't really know what the current age trend of authors on SH are so I could be saying ridiculous things.
'-'

For a hobby story, I'm writing a jaded 30+ year old. Not publishing it, though.

X

JayDirex

Isn't a lot of the reason behind the age trend due to the age of those who write them?
Then again, I don't really know what the current age trend of authors on SH are so I could be saying ridiculous things.
'-'

For a hobby story, I'm writing a jaded 30+ year old. Not publishing it, though.

X
I would agree with that except that there's more than a handful of us up here well past college.

I would dare say that the better writers up here are probably beyond college age

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
I would agree with that except that there's more than a handful of us up here well past college.

I would dare say that the better writers up here are probably beyond college age
Then perhaps to cater to a younger age demographic of readers?
*shrugs*

And yes, I know there are some who are adults already among the community.
However, I don't recall you mentioning quality of writers so...meh.

Nice thought experiment(?), though.
(^-^)

X

Western42

....I may be Insane....
The MC from my book, The Princess And Her Warmonger, the MC being Sharia, is pretty much a no-shits-given I'm not your knight in shining armor type. However, she is female, not male.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
People do write MC's above 35+ but they're usually not in web novels. Most web novels appeal to a younger generation in the format. Start reading fully written books and you have older main characters. This website brought a lot of readers/writers from Novel Updates users I believe, and most Asian stories are focused on youth because they feel that's where the most potential can still be had. Compare that to western novels like Lord of the Rings where Aragorn is in his 70's (not kidding) and a lot of the characters are not youthful and you can see the difference in perspectives.

LoL at 35 being old hahaha.
I'm planning for the main female love interest in my next arc on my R-18 project to be 40+ years old with a 20-30 year age gap (female is older) due to reincarnation.

Hot older women are a thing because many still look good until their 50's.

RainingSky

Coffee lover (addict)
One of my side characters is a old guy who was about to enjoy his, very much looked forward, retirement before he got himself isekaied

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
In my defence I'm very immature for my advanced years. Also when you get to my age young feller me lad, what you really want at the end of a hard day isn't a nice hard dick, but a cup of tea and a book. So, it's hard for me to write overly sexed MILFs without my tongue firmly in my cheek - dunno if that's the real subconscious reason others don't write them too maybe...

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
In my defence I'm very immature for my advanced years. Also when you get to my age young feller me lad, what you really want at the end of a hard day isn't a nice hard dick, but a cup of tea and a book. So, it's hard for me to write overly sexed MILFs without my tongue firmly in my cheek - dunno if that's the real subconscious reason others don't write them too maybe...
I don't think a lot of <20 yos see themselves in emotionally incapacitated tit mountains either so big fucking difference

lambenttyto

I do it all the time.
Have you been watching Big Trouble in Little China?

Vnator

Oh hey, my first story to the site has such a main character! Ex Isekai protagonist who's seen it all but works to rescue new protagonists from shitty situations.