Omniscient Third Person POV vs Limited Third Person POV

ForestDweller

How do you use each of them well? Can you mix them up intentionally? And how about not mixing them up accidentally?

I just read a story that seemingly switches around between the two. Most of it are the MC's POV but the author would switch to his opponent's POV to display just how amazing the MC is. Complete with a short backstory of said opponent.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Uh, I don't use a third-person view, but I think you can mix them up accidentally. This is from what I have read.

If a story is omniscient, it should stay that way as well as if it is limited, it should stay that way. Switching between views can cause the reader to get turned off/disconnect.

Like... Personally, I hate omniscient shifts. I like the limited view, but I think in TPOV it can get hard to keep it like that.

I wouldn't know, just throwing out what I see as a reader. :blob_popcorn: Shifts of view within the same chapter make me disconnect from the story.

TotallyHuman

It's good to be home.
Why? Just stick to one 3rd pov narrator instead of muddying things up. Reliable or unreliable, but reliably.
My favourite way of using omniscient 3rd pov is to have it be an asshole that knows what is going on but intentionally tries to somewhat obviously nudge the reader to think wrong, just because it's funny.
Like: "Everybody loved the way Sam presented his exposed derriere in court. It caused an absolute furor, with massive waves of excitement from the public. Well... Maybe the way most of the audiences yelled angrily at Sam didn't seem very approving, but we all have different ways of expressing ourselves and who are you to judge? A-and those middle fingers were just a local way of giving a thumbs-up, I swear on the cereal I am going to eat tomorrow morning. What do you mean I'm lactose intolerant? Shoo, shoo"
Most of it are the MC's POV but the author would switch to his opponent's POV to display just how amazing the MC is. Complete with a short backstory of said opponent.
Can it be considered a 3rd pov tho? The opponent one that is. I'd say it's just a 1st pov of a different character.

Last edited:

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
How do you use each of them well? Can you mix them up intentionally? And how about not mixing them up accidentally?

I just read a story that seemingly switches around between the two. Most of it are the MC's POV but the author would switch to his opponent's POV to display just how amazing the MC is. Complete with a short backstory of said opponent.
That sounds like they just went from limited third person POV to another limited third person POV instead. Omniscient would be if say in a battle, you get both people's thoughts in the same scene.

As for how to use them well, omniscient is great at getting the "bigger picture" since it's unlikely one character knows everything, while limited is great at getting closer to a character without necessarily getting to know what the character thinks.

As for mixing them up, just avoid changing character perspective often, and only do it at break points like end of chapter.

The question is how and when you switch between them.
I don't think there's a certain limit to how many times you switch. the most important thing is to keep perspectives separated: each character's dialogue, thoughts, and narration are kept in their own paragraphs.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger

Well, as seen by the immense popularity of Wisher Beware, such a change in perspective can be used to great effect.

Though I can't imagine someone accidentally writing from another characters viewpoint.
Many of the novels on SH I read have somewhat inconsistent perspective in a way that doesn't seem intentional, my own included, as someone has brought to my attention.
Perhaps the most common "mistake" is telling the emotional states of other characters in limited 3rd person.
She smiled, elated by the thoughtfulness put into the present.

Last edited:

ConcubusBunny

Chaotic lewd enby bunny. They/them
This is what I do for my own series actually I don't exactly switch it's still omniscient but from their perspective like how you explain things going on if you were a ghost of yourself looking at your story play out and you could read minds as well, that's how it feels for me anyway
Now to give an example of what I'm talking about:

Mc walked into the room expecting a nice and tidy room like how they left it only to find their spouses past naked wrapped in love juice stained sheets and surrounded by sex toys and the messy room.
They looked at them with half joy and half annoyance at their antic's.
'As much as I like to see them enjoying themselves they seriously need to fucking clean up after themselves' They kicked the top spouse.
She jolted awake blasted her lover away with a wave of magic who slammed in the wall and slumped onto the ground.
She groaned in pain and shot daggers at her lover.
'Oh fuck, oh fuck, oh fun.....' the first spouse thought frantically as she worryingly wanted to reach out to her lover but worried that might piss them off even more.
"Dude, what the FUCK??!" They barked sitting up.
"Uuuhhh... It was an accident?" The second spouse said regretting the words coming out of her mouth no matter how true they were.
The mc shocked at this unwanted turn of events noticed that the third spouse was about to accidentally on purpose lunch their lover out the window.
'Oh fuck! What have I done? Maybe if I stay perfectly still they won't notice me.' They silently hoped but changed their mind seeing the magic welling in the third spouse arm. 'No I have to fix it.

As you can see from above I used both omniscient first person and other characters perspective (hopefully well) to the story hope this helps you understand better.

Last edited:

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Yes, that's my problem.
I mean what should they do? Someone of those internet idiots might miss how great the protagonist is!
And what better way to put tit so even those of limited intellect can understand than by everyone being in awe of every step they take?

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Omniscient provides the most flexibility, so that's what I stick with. I don't see a point to limiting what the narrator knows.