On Immortality

Erys

Her Highness
Immortality is the indefinite continuation of a person’s existence, even after death.

According to this definition, immortality refers to the ability to continue to exist as a person indefinitely.

Many times people confuse immortality with living forever, this is not always the case. Death is merely the end of one's physical body. It does not mean a person's soul ceases to exist. Instead it continues to exist without a physical body.

If a person is to achieve immortality, they must learn to control their own death. This does not necessarily mean the living of life after death, because, even after death, a person could still be a conscious entity.

It is the same as a person losing their home, possessions and all their other belongings; but the person remains. This is the same for a person's soul, if they are to achieve immortality, they must create a new physical body to replace the old physical body that has died.

Therefore, in order to truly be immortal one must not only have a spirit or consciousness, but be able to have a body. In addition to a body the ability to sustain a consciousness as well.
One needs to be able to replicate their consciousness to create a new body and also sustain it, so that one does not lose their consciousness and memories.

Immortality could be attained through two different methods: by being born as an immortal, or by gaining immortality after death.

In biology, immortality is achieved through cloning or by the ability to regenerate organs or tissues. In mythology, immortality is usually achieved by being born from the gods, or by being granted immortality.

Immortality is an ancient concept, perhaps as old as humanity itself. The concept of immortal beings is deeply rooted in ancient history. Human beings tend to attribute immortality to deities, kings, heroes, etc.

In some cases it is possible for a person to acquire immortality through a process known as transmigration of the soul, this means that when the body died the person was reborn and assumed a new physical form to continue his or her life in the same society or environment.

How would you acquire immortality? Which form of immortality will you choose?

longer

Balls
How does a writing website end up with people asking deep, philosophical questions?
Writing often touches into deeper philosophical thought, which is sometimes the message writers try to express in their works.

But I'm going to be honest, the various methods of immortality really isn't that deep. We aren't touching into the possible effects of immortality on the human psyche. Or the idea that immortality can be perceived as being perpetually remembered by people in the future, such as the case of most historical figures dying but remaining in our memories. Except the Queen of England, she remains on this mortal plane and in our minds. There's also different religious interpretations of immortality since you kinda have to factor in stuff like rebirth and whether it counts. There's also the ethical consideration of whether we should fuck with the cycle of life.

TLDR: Should have been born a lobster.

Kassel

Immortality is the indefinite continuation of a person’s existence, even after death.

According to this definition, immortality refers to the ability to continue to exist as a person indefinitely.

Many times people confuse immortality with living forever, this is not always the case. Death is merely the end of one's physical body. It does not mean a person's soul ceases to exist. Instead it continues to exist without a physical body.

If a person is to achieve immortality, they must learn to control their own death. This does not necessarily mean the living of life after death, because, even after death, a person could still be a conscious entity.

It is the same as a person losing their home, possessions and all their other belongings; but the person remains. This is the same for a person's soul, if they are to achieve immortality, they must create a new physical body to replace the old physical body that has died.

Therefore, in order to truly be immortal one must not only have a spirit or consciousness, but be able to have a body. In addition to a body the ability to sustain a consciousness as well.
One needs to be able to replicate their consciousness to create a new body and also sustain it, so that one does not lose their consciousness and memories.

Immortality could be attained through two different methods: by being born as an immortal, or by gaining immortality after death.

In biology, immortality is achieved through cloning or by the ability to regenerate organs or tissues. In mythology, immortality is usually achieved by being born from the gods, or by being granted immortality.

Immortality is an ancient concept, perhaps as old as humanity itself. The concept of immortal beings is deeply rooted in ancient history. Human beings tend to attribute immortality to deities, kings, heroes, etc.

In some cases it is possible for a person to acquire immortality through a process known as transmigration of the soul, this means that when the body died the person was reborn and assumed a new physical form to continue his or her life in the same society or environment.

Smart nya.
Any type of immortality would be good for me

Simo

A lazy sloth
I think Immortality where you constantly reincarnate after death into different planes with all memories intact would be kinda cool. I suppose It will be for the best since every new life will be a new experience and you won’t get bored. Besides, imagine being Immortal in an undying body and the world explodes or gets swallowed by a star. That would suck.

DarkeReises

Ultimate Wankmaster, Jizzer of Universes
I think Immortality where you constantly reincarnate after death into different planes with all memories intact would be kinda cool. I suppose It will be for the best since every new life will be a new experience and you won’t get bored. Besides, imagine being Immortal in an undying body and the world explodes or gets swallowed by a star. That would suck.
If every death of mine reshuffles the universe and gives me completely different starts, I'd be down for that.

TotallyHuman

It's good to be home.

Soul not defined. Cannot answer

J_Chemist

Immortality would mean I'd be alive when the universe dies and be left subsequently to deal with the aftermath of that mess.

I'll choose death by snu snu instead. Thanks.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
This is why we have children and pressure them for grandchildren. It's not a perfect solution, but it's the closest we can reasonably get.

NotOriginal

I think immortality would be cool at first but I'm sure eventually would wanna just end it. Be it on the run from some government wanting Immortality or even pharmaceutical company's wanting to create a drug to sell to the uber wealthy so they can continue to profit off cheap labor. You will become jaded over the long years, patterns in human society will begin to appear and you would grow tired of it all. Love will fade, Eating would become a chore, breathing would have been forgotten, You just exist, a being with their essence complete several life times over just sorta there now.

Or you just find a way to get rich and then sorta just fund space exploration to occupy your time while the planet goes to shit.

Asami_Shirogane

I would choose a type of immortality where I get to select my time of true death, my body can be physically killed but I would also remain ageless. My sense of pain would also be drastically numbed so I would only feel a tickle when someone stabs a knife in me. As for how I would achieve complete immortality, I would include regeneration power modelled by a respawn system. So if some government entity decided to capture me and start performing experiments, they would mostly likely start kill my body in the process through some twisted experiment. But I would be able to materialize at a location of my choosing. And only I would know where I would want to respawn at. It's a fool-proof method for keeping a low profile at least in my opinion. Which would include my body dematerializing physically when it's killed.

Last edited:

SakeVision

Sama/kisama

whose definition is this?

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
more literally, it means exempt from death (Im = not and mortal = subject to death).
I don't know where your definition is coming from, but I find it highly questionable.
No, your definition states that the person still exists, in some shape or form, not that it stays as a person indefinitely.

It's not a confusion, it is the literal definition of the word :

Google - Immortality - the ability to live forever; eternal life
Webster's - Immortality - the quality or state of living forever
Etymological - Immortality = no death. You cannot die. simple as that.

If you have ways to persist after death, be it reincarnation, undeath or going to heaven, you would still have died, and therefore be mortal (subject to death). It is not that you did not die, and are immortal. It is simply that death is not the end.
Not control. It just means not being capable of dying. That includes you being incapable of choosing to die.
For living a life after death, that depends whether you can die again. if it is something like reincarnation, where you can go through the whole death process again, you still aren't immortal. you just have a second mortal life.
Why is a body important to immortality? if the body is the only thing that gets destroyed by death, then it would be when you are just a soul that you are immortal. creating a new body would only mean rebecoming mortal.
Nothe that according to the etymological definition, you do not have to be alive to be immortal. A rock is not alive in the first place, so is not able to die, and is therefore immortal.
Again, having a body or not has nothing to do with the concept of immortality. Otherwise religions wouldn't have so many immortal spirits.
On the topic of having to sustain your consciousness, that brings on an interesting point. Being immortal means you can't die, but does it mean you cannot be destroyed? that depends on what death is exactly.
You can be immortal and amnesiac.
Or gaining it somewhere in between your birth and death?
In biology, immortality is achieved through cloning or by the ability to regenerate organs or tissues.
This is not immortality, this is having an endless lifespan. You can still die, you just have a way to fight it off for an indefinite amount of time.