one of the worst teacher I ever had

Blackout

Worshipper of Chin Chin the Dark Lord
So this just popped into my mind just now very randomly, so I had the need to talk about it. When I was 11, we had a test during a Mandarin language class. This test involves memorizing an entire essay and puking it out during the test itself. Before the test begins, my Mandarin teacher, who's also our homeroom teacher, wanted us to recite the essay once, so that's what we did.

After we're done, she suddenly calls a few of us to the front, including me, to recite the essay one more time. Apparently our voices was too soft, and in her book, soft voice equals we didn't memorize the essay. I was like fine, I memorized the essay perfectly , so I can just do it again. But no. That brain-dead, incompetent, waste of oxygen moronic government's b**tch wanted ALL of us to recite the essay at the same time. She even want us to start and stop at the same time. There was one time where I could have kept going, but had to stop anyway because the rest of my group couldn't remember the part.

After the second recital, she asked the rest of the class whether those at the front actually memorized it, and again, I was found guilty because my voice was too soft. I argued that I did memorized it, but the hag was having none of it and caned my palm with a rattan (this is an Asian school, so corporal punishment is actually allowed). When the judgment's over, the teacher wanted those found guilty to stand outside class to memorize the essay before letting us in. While everyone else were being busy, I was standing there like an idiot since I've memorized it from top to bottom. I had a serious urge to go berserk and beat the stupid teacher up when she came out and have a look at our progress. In the end, I had to swallow my anger and pretended that I was busy memorizing. On a side note, one of the ones who got called up was found to be innocent since his voice was loud.

On the next day, the stupid teacher forced those who failed the test to stay back at recess and redo the test. Guess who gets to go out and enjoy the recess after getting a perfect score? Yours truly. Guess who had to stay back? The guy who was loud. I didn't talk to any of my dumb classmates for weeks after this incident.

P.S I had her for homeroom when I was at the previous year, and we had a male student who's kind of slow and always had bad grades. He was switched to another class meant for slow students when we turned 11. During the last exam, he got an A for his Mandarin, when he always got C or D while he was 10. The stupid teacher told us this incident and told us to learn from him, and here I was thinking "Isn't it because you suck at teaching?"

High-in-the-skys

Awkward member
Well since we're talking about bad experiences, I remember two of the worse experience from a teacher I could remember.

Although I experienced a teacher that threw us out from the room (more of a funny experience for me since my shoe was a slip-on and a loose one so I left one of my shoes when we're threw out). Well in this experience, a classmate of mine was annoying me by throwing eraser pieces then when I threw back the pieces, the teacher suddenly threw us out of the room (yes I am aware that the teacher is annoyed that's why she threw us out but my complaint is that the shoe I left was returned to me only before we returned back to room and a classmate had to return it so I basically just stand in the corridor without one shoe with teachers looking my way /// /// *it really embarrassed me that time*)

But the worst experience I can remember is being made the 'example'. I am aware I had low grades and I don't put much effort but I really was made the example to my other classmates. The teacher even had favorites! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻. Anyways I learned from this experience that being stupid makes people show their true nature to you so the stance I always do now is being a honest and stupid when dealing to others (being too smart makes me automatically the 'leader' so I avoid to show off)(also people suck up to you if you're in power and I liked honest people so this is how I seperate people I want to deal with)

(A word of warning: there are no stupid people, they are either one's who live in their own bubble or the master manipulator type so beware of the 'harmless naive' ones

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Well lol, most of my experience does not lie with shitty teachers but shitty project members.

Fun fact, I was a shitty member at one point as well, turns out when you decide to push forward a group project by doing it all by yourself when the other four are not doing anything makes you a loser and something of a problem to be rectified. I recalled having all my findings and points pass to the rest of my group mates while yours truly gets the lowest score, plus a remark that state I am not a team player and should play nice from my form teacher. I kept mum, knowing that when no one sides with you, it is best to not make yourself a bigger target unless needed to. Needless to say, to get blamed by everyone else in the group no less after that shit sank felt crap, but I did made my point clear that I never wanted to ever work with all these pricks ever again.

Last edited:

Blackout

Worshipper of Chin Chin the Dark Lord
Well since we're talking about bad experiences, I remember two of the worse experience from a teacher I could remember.

Although I experienced a teacher that threw us out from the room (more of a funny experience for me since my shoe was a slip-on and a loose one so I left one of my shoes when we're threw out). Well in this experience, a classmate of mine was annoying me by throwing eraser pieces then when I threw back the pieces, the teacher suddenly threw us out of the room (yes I am aware that the teacher is annoyed that's why she threw us out but my complaint is that the shoe I left was returned to me only before we returned back to room and a classmate had to return it so I basically just stand in the corridor without one shoe with teachers looking my way /// /// *it really embarrassed me that time*)

But the worst experience I can remember is being made the 'example'. I am aware I had low grades and I don't put much effort but I really was made the example to my other classmates. The teacher even had favorites! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻. Anyways I learned from this experience that being stupid makes people show their true nature to you so the stance I always do now is being a honest and stupid when dealing to others (being too smart makes me automatically the 'leader' so I avoid to show off)(also people suck up to you if you're in power and I liked honest people so this is how I seperate people I want to deal with)
Ouch. Well, just remember to stay strong, man

DubstheDuke

See now, I don't understand why, but so many teachers seem to believe that "Being harsh=good teaching"
Its all about arrogance. These teachers seem to have this mindset that they are infinitely above the students, in a completely different realm than them, and that anything and everything they say and do is holy compared to the students. Then they use this power and create this hierarchy of fear to reinforce their own egos.

EternalSunset0

So this just popped into my mind just now very randomly, so I had the need to talk about it. When I was 11, we had a test during a Mandarin language class. This test involves memorizing an entire essay and puking it out during the test itself. Before the test begins, my Mandarin teacher, who's also our homeroom teacher, wanted us to recite the essay once, so that's what we did.

After we're done, she suddenly calls a few of us to the front, including me, to recite the essay one more time. Apparently our voices was too soft, and in her book, soft voice equals we didn't memorize the essay. I was like fine, I memorized the essay perfectly , so I can just do it again. But no. That brain-dead, incompetent, waste of oxygen moronic government's b**tch wanted ALL of us to recite the essay at the same time. She even want us to start and stop at the same time. There was one time where I could have kept going, but had to stop anyway because the rest of my group couldn't remember the part.

After the second recital, she asked the rest of the class whether those at the front actually memorized it, and again, I was found guilty because my voice was too soft. I argued that I did memorized it, but the hag was having none of it and caned my palm with a rattan (this is an Asian school, so corporal punishment is actually allowed). When the judgment's over, the teacher wanted those found guilty to stand outside class to memorize the essay before letting us in. While everyone else were being busy, I was standing there like an idiot since I've memorized it from top to bottom. I had a serious urge to go berserk and beat the stupid teacher up when she came out and have a look at our progress. In the end, I had to swallow my anger and pretended that I was busy memorizing. On a side note, one of the ones who got called up was found to be innocent since his voice was loud.

On the next day, the stupid teacher forced those who failed the test to stay back at recess and redo the test. Guess who gets to go out and enjoy the recess after getting a perfect score? Yours truly. Guess who had to stay back? The guy who was loud. I didn't talk to any of my dumb classmates for weeks after this incident.

P.S I had her for homeroom when I was at the previous year, and we had a male student who's kind of slow and always had bad grades. He was switched to another class meant for slow students when we turned 11. During the last exam, he got an A for his Mandarin, when he always got C or D while he was 10. The stupid teacher told us this incident and told us to learn from him, and here I was thinking "Isn't it because you suck at teaching?"
By any chance, are you from the Philippines? The story seems oddly familiar to what I know about Chinese schools in that country.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
See now, I don't understand why, but so many teachers seem to believe that "Being harsh=good teaching"
Its all about arrogance. These teachers seem to have this mindset that they are infinitely above the students, in a completely different realm than them, and that anything and everything they say and do is holy compared to the students. Then they use this power and create this hierarchy of fear to reinforce their own egos.
And there are the polar where the teachers are "good", as in good to bully by students and it ended up derailing the curriculum.

Like they never heard of gentle but firm.

MarkofWisdom

While I thankfully can say I've never had a teacher that physically hit their students, I have had some really crappy ones. Standouts among them were in elementary school (USA) when one teacher had all the male students ....it was either write an essay or sit in class while the girls got to go to recess, don't remember which. Anyways-he had the male students do that while the girls go to go out and play...and the punishment was a collective one for something one of the girls did. He also gave girls bonus points or extra helps during games/homework-noticed when a boy and girl compared homework and despite having the same questions right and wrong the girl scored higher

There was another teacher (of history) fond of collective punishment in high school; that guy sucked hard and enjoyed punitive measures against his students along with ludicrous amounts of homework due the following day -stuff like crossword puzzles with 100+ questions and the answers were frequently things that were hidden in small captions for pictures or single mentions in the entire book. I think there ended up being a private facebook group(s) and/or reddit(s) made to share answers to his crossword puzzles since he reused them, and when he found out he was really mad and had to change most/all of his crossword assignments- I only heard about that in passing several years later though, so I'm not too sure-wouldn't be surprised if it was real though. I ended up setting the all time high score for any of his exams at the point when I had been in his class (he told me this himself) and ended up setting the grading curve for that midterm exam-I got an 84. Quite a few of the other students were mad at me since he mentioned this out loud and how the grading curve being like that made their grades a lot worse (I "got the A." everyone else? Not so much)

Crown achievement goes to a programming teacher in college though. Pompous, self important teacher (already off on a bad foot) that was terrible at teaching....like using C+ for examples for teaching how to use Python. Anyways-often yelled at students, took away points for things that weren't actually mistakes, etc. The biggest thing he did was during the big semester group project-programming an elevator. He gave very vague instructions and requirements and refused to elaborate or clarify when people asked for more details or if specific things were requirements. A few weeks later during the first "check in" for how progress was going what should have been a 5-10 minute meeting in his office for each group ended up being 1 hr+ session of being yelled at for each, and this was outside of class so I'm pretty sure he made more than a few students late to other classes. When my group went in he went off on how we hadn't done XYZ things or met requirements he wanted...that he had refused to tell anyone about before, including for things he had actually been directly asked about in class. I don't remember if anyone was brave enough to call him on that or if we all just were quiet and wanted it to be over with, I know I didn't say anything. I ended up withdrawing from the class before the cutoff so I managed to get out without it tanking my GPA. I also saw him accuse two students of plagiarizing from each other...on the group project while they were in the same group. I didn't stay in the class long enough to see the resolution, but given how neither student was kicked out (zero tolerance policy for plagiarizing at that school) I'm fairly certain he wasn't successful in getting his accusations to stick

Dishonorable mention-also in college, a digital logic teacher. Highly inappropriate teacher, tried teaching from a book he was in the process of writing and had changed the names for a large majority of the concepts and objects so we had no idea what he was talking about when we looked at anything aside from his book. It was a big class and he had little control over it. During one of the classes there was usually someone in one of the front rows playing FO3 or FONV, and one time someone watched an entire episode of DBZ (one of the Cell saga episodes) with the volume playing out loud instead of in headphones. Fewer and fewer people showed up over the year until like maybe 1/4 of the class kept showing up towards the end-during the final exam though suddenly like 100 extra people showed up and the entire room was full.

Second (semi)dishonorable mention-college calculus/trigonometry teacher. Didn't teach, just reviewed. Got mad when asked questions or to explain something that he hadn't actually explained. The example I remember was he kept going on about "Delta X" and like 10 minutes later I was still lost about what he was talking about so I had to raise my hand and ask repeatedly for him to clarify it. First response was "Delta X is Delta X" and he immediately moved on, before I got his attention again and said I still didn't understand what he meant since it didn't seem connected to anything else and hadn't been explained. Glaring and yelling he explained it in more detail after I asked the second time. On the other hand he did try going out of his way to have out of class office hours to try and answer questions for students, so it could have been worse, and while the biggest problem I had with his teaching style was him teaching like he assumed everyone was as familiar with the material as he was he at least (usually) wasn't a huge jerk or actively trying to sabotage his students

It really sucks how a bad teacher can ruin subjects for people-I'm pretty sure that programming teacher ruined programming for more than a few of his students, I know it certainly contributed to my distaste for it. On the other hand a good teacher can make even difficult/unusual topics interesting, one I remember enjoying more than expected was applied discrete mathematics-the teacher managed to make it interesting and at least mostly understandable. Not that I remember much about it by this point >.>

...wow this ended up being *way* longer than I expected. I guess those crappy teachers still really bug me

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29316

Well, a lot of teachers have that mindset of 'being superior' to their students. My workplace isn't an exception. I've got myself into fights with my co-workers because of how they treat our students.

In the end, they booted me out when they had the chance. That's my first job for ye.

Also, if I may add...

Many teachers also feel like they are entitled to be treated just because they are, well, teachers. I think the concept of 'shaping the young minds' have been so ingrained to us that we see ourselves as special existences.

Well, I beg to differ. Our job is to teach, and there is nothing special about that. I do go the extra mile for my students, but for most of the time, it is our duty to teach and guide.

Zavha0mnic

My chinese class was ruined by a student. Our teacher is from china and came to teach it. She said she was surprised at the lack of attention from some. I was the second best student (maybe third). However, the really annoying student was named kellan. That’s his real name because he bullied our poor teacher. She obviously wanted us to learn and see the incredible cultural depth of china. He yelled over her, hacked kahoots(we literally stopped doing them because of him), made fun of her, and swore.
I ended up sending an email to our vice principal when he literally just walked out of class. He was expelled after she was asked what he was doing. That email made me feel so powerful.

Leti

Teachers are weird, Mandarin teachers are even weirder. I don't hang out with my West Taiwanese teaching coworkers so often, but when I do, Imagine being the most normal person in the room.

Most of the time, they received special treatments from the staffs because it's hard to find another person qualified to teach people to not pursue Lu Bu in his native language.

Me? I can't do anything. We're lucky if the Mandarin teacher can make the students understand basic daily conversations. If not, we still have to keep the one we have around since searching for replacement is a pain.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Worst teacher I ever had, was this old woman who would literally write students up for not following "traditional male values" like not holding the door for female classmates, not allowing them to go first in things, and so on. See, I have no problem with traditions. But if Men have to follow them, so should women. Which means obedience from her husband, boyfriend, whatever, and whatever other shit it was like. Idk, I didn't grow up traditionally so I can't say exactly what a woman's role was back then. I don't follow the old traditions, but if I HAVE to, then women do to. Apparently, this old teacher only felt the men had too...which amusingly enough pissed off the female classmates too since some of the girls in the class were dating their classmates who suffered under the hated teacher

Anyway, my point being, it was annoying, this old woman teacher doing this. Literally, every male student in the class was written up several times. I had 4 disciplinary referrals that I can readily recall, mostly for openly questioning her teaching methods when it was obvious she doing things wrongly. I eventually got fed up with it and me and a few other students, some of them even female, planned to have the old cunt locked outside of the school building for the first two periods of class that day. It was about 40-50 degrees Fahrenheit, which is a little cool but not overly cold, (for those under celsius who dont understand Fahrenheit). I'm the one who actually locked her out, and I was backed up by the entire class. She was so extremely hated.

Don't feel any guilt either. IF you're going to aggravate the entire class for no reason, then you have no right to complain when they get tired of it, and respond accordingly. You there to TEACH A SPECIFIC SUBJECT, not dictate decorum.

Last edited:

Leti

can you explain that statement? I know of a historical Lu Bu, but I feel like this isn't what you're getting at.
Lu Bu killed 2,000 soldiers by himself at the battle of Hu Lao gate so Yuan Shao just ordered troops to go around him. Pursuing Lu Bu means a certain death. Do not pursue Lu Bu is equivalent to don't kill yourself. If the teacher don't even know how to say that in Chinese, then that person isn't qualified to teach. It's some kind of an inside joke.

tyler89558

Worst teacher I had was my 7th grade English teacher. Literally the only teacher I’ve ever had give me a pop quiz (because studies show that pop quizzes don’t help... and the added anxiety is actually detrimental), and as a reference I’ve taken 10 AP classes. She’d be chill one second and then go off on everyone the next for something minor (we joked that she had bipolar or something, in retrospect probably not something to joke about). Didn’t even teach either, just made us take notes out of our grammar book (alone of course), and talking about taking notes I was given a crappy grade because the handwriting on MY OWN NOTES was bad.

My little sister had her as a volleyball coach in my sophomore year of high school, and she’s about as bad of a coach as she is a teacher. She gives shit advice despite not ever having played the sport, and benched several kids for entire games (not just ones with any ‘stakes’). Oh yeah, kicker. The teacher offered to hold onto a pair of earrings for one of the players during a game, immediately lost them. Only cared after she realized that the earrings were actually expensive.

And the absolute worst part about all of this? I had her for my elective period as well as my English period. So I had to deal with her twice as much as literally anyone else.

Discount_Blade

Lu Bu killed 2,000 soldiers by himself at the battle of Hu Lao gate so Yuan Shao just ordered troops to go around him. Pursuing Lu Bu means a certain death. Do not pursue Lu Bu is equivalent to don't kill yourself. If the teacher don't even know how to say that in Chinese, then that person isn't qualified to teach. It's some kind of an inside joke.
Ah. I like the Siege of Xiapi story better though. He supposedly held the walls for an entire day alone against countless assaults from Cao Cao's forces and was never even wounded. I mean, he collapsed from exhaustion later that night and was captured and executed....but still.... the dude according to the story, held an entire length of wall by himself for a whole day.

Even if these stories about him are exaggerated, he still had to be a badass warrior with no equal in China (at that time at least) since even contemporaries did nothing but talk about his martial skill. His horse Red Hare too had no equal, though I'm skeptical on that front since it's kinda odd to go around comparing people's mounts. Damn shame he lacked the same intellectual skills as martial ones. Ignoring Chen Gong's strategies, and backstabbing anyone whom he allied with...oh well.

Still though, Among men....Lu Bu / Among warhorses.....Red Hare.

Leti

I was given a crappy grade because the handwriting on MY OWN NOTES was bad.
If you think your handwritings are bad, you haven't seen students writing in a messy cursive Cyrillic yet. That thing is an abomination guaranteed to give your bipolar teacher an eye cancer.

Discount_Blade

If you think your handwritings are bad, you haven't seen students writing in a messy cursive Cyrillic yet. That thing is an abomination guaranteed to give your bipolar teacher an eye cancer.
smh....try babylonian cuneiform for bronze age history class. I had to get it near-perfect in copying or points were deducted for even minor differences. Gods I HATED the Code of Hammurabi section of that class.