Writing Original World vs Historical World

OsadaHiraga

So I've always been a fan of Historical novels but most of the time, I've always been intimidated by a bunch of fact checking and datas I need to research if I ever write one. So I'm asking here, do you think it's easier to just create your own world or is it better to just stick to the pre-written historical world? Creating Butterfly effects seems like such a pain in the ass too.

TotallyHuman

Whatever floats your boat. Certainly nobody will care if you don't stick to historical accuracy

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
Whatever floats your boat. Certainly nobody will care if you don't stick to historical accuracy
i will

original world is easier - still a tonne of research but at least you don't have to get dates and names right. You can just make those up and then forget them and get them wrong instead.

TroubleFait

Or you can blatantly be wrong. Transform historical world into an original world, include whatever you want from real history and do whatever you want with the rest.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
My main story is a historical fiction which I had to do a lot of fact checking for. I've even had readers correct me on things once or twice. I took creative liberties with a lot of things in the story but anything related to dates in history, people, or inventions have been kept as historically accurate as possible. It's a pain in the ass but if you love history and doing research then it can be incredibly fun and enjoyable. One piece of advice I would give is to stick to a time period that you are interested in or know a lot about. This lessens the load that comes with fact checking.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
So I've always been a fan of Historical novels but most of the time, I've always been intimidated by a bunch of fact checking and datas I need to research if I ever write one. So I'm asking here, do you think it's easier to just create your own world or is it better to just stick to the pre-written historical world? Creating Butterfly effects seems like such a pain in the ass too.
What the hell is historical world? You mean ours?

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
Creating your own world can be just as difficult as fact-checking historical facts, at least if you want to create an engaging one. I would suggest Alternate-History if you like, as you can use real places but don't stick with dates, names, and stuff. Still, if you feel like creating your own world, go with it!

Daitengu

As long as you stick to one area, the research isn't too bad. And depending on the location and era there's wiggle room for dates. Like bronze age had alot going on but history is spotty on most things that aren't major events. While the late middle age to victorian eras are far more well documented.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It all depends on your personality. If you love history, then writing a historical story will be more fun for you.