Overused Protagonist Powers

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Are you joking or is there something that I am missing?
Both. We're talking about air MAGIC, so you can assume it has certain properties that regular air doesn't. For example, being able to slice through enemies as a wind blade, or creating barriers that prevent projectiles from hitting you, or even lifting a person who shouldn't be capable of flying normally.

In this case, the 'air' would simply be a layer of invisible, low friction fluid that causes people to slip when they step on it.

Topgun1908

Easy. 3 of the 4 elements. Water, fire, and wind.

Earth is, interestingly enough, rarely an element used by the protagonist of the story. Whenever it is used, it is usually used by the "heavy hitter" of the group, and roughly half the time it is WAY freaking OP. (Which is probably the reason it's almost never given to the protagonist. There are the people who lack imagination, and thus under-power the earth element, which means they don't want to give it to the protagonist. Or, it could be a writer with plenty of imagination who knows exactly how OP the earth element can be, which means they don't want to give it to the protagonist because that would be giving their protagonist too much power.)
Yeah I haven't developed upon it in my story yet, but Earth is one of the best elements because it has way too much versatility no matter where it's used. Whether it's outside of combat, attacking, or defending the Earth element is really OP.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
What else makes earth magic OP? I'm genuinely curious, no offense meant.
Dunno if anyone wrote this, but Chaotic God of War and Oracle Paths have the MCs capable of hiding into the ground and do butt pokes.

Like, ffs that is their most used skill and because everyone lacks the ability to fuck with them while they are underground, shit becomes one sided.

Ps. Really? Nobody points out that the ability to traverse the ground freely like water is OP?

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Dunno if anyone wrote this, but Chaotic God of War and Oracle Paths have the MCs capable of hiding into the ground and do butt pokes.

Like, ffs that is their most used skill and because everyone lacks the ability to fuck with them while they are underground, shit becomes one sided.

Ps. Really? Nobody points out that the ability to traverse the ground freely like water is OP?
Both were pointed out, but they were buried in the Earth vs EVERYTHING ELSE debates. Not the sources though, just the general idea.
I think one of the more under-sold things though would be the freedom of mobility the earth element would offer. A skilled earth magic user would also be able to create an opening in a solid stone surface, and also enclose themselves inside for something of a "turtle" strategy. But, it's not just bunkering down and hiding. With some more effort, said earth mage could actually start travelling underground and re-position themselves.
For a one-on-one, being able to cast earth attacks from directly beneath the opponent is rough to deal with.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Both were pointed out, but they were buried in the Earth vs EVERYTHING ELSE debates. Not the sources though, just the general idea.
I'll follow up on what was said. for small fights you can destroy, shake, or liquify the ground they're standing on. you can dig holes, make spikes, build cages, or block off someone's way. those are just a few examples.

for large structures, you only have to induce a small earthquake. a small issue in any foundation causes unimaginable damages, so again, dig, break, or shake. additionally, if a city is near water, you can flood it completely. a few localized earthquakes at sufficient water depth would create a series of tsunamis
Huh? I think blob expressed my view better, not really liquifying the ground per say, but rather shifting the earth around you so that you have a... hole. Ok the other two make their point too.

Also, Earth users can armor up anytime, cause seismic fission,

Huh? I think blob expressed my view better, not really liquifying the ground per say, but rather shifting the earth around you so that you have a... hole. Ok the other two make their point too.

Also, Earth users can armor up anytime, cause seismic fission,
I've also been using earth magic as a sort of radar by feeling the pressure on top of the ground

SailusGebel

How much does it cost? How fast can you chant this spell? Depending on how you balance it, it won't be OP.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
How much does it cost? How fast can you chant this spell? Depending on how you balance it, it won't be OP.
... of course if you cap it, then it becomes not OP.

For the CWG, it was capped with the amount of talisman the MC made. But by a hundred chapters, that shit is no longer an issue until the author wants it to be an issue. Like when he was fighting the vampire queens, for a long bloody while, there had been no shortage UNTIL the very last moment where he stated "down to my last three!" I was rolling my eyes.

For OP (pun not intended but carried forward), MC can use his bloodline to burrow underground with zero restrictions. Until the battefield is made of metal, not earth.

SailusGebel

... of course if you cap it, then it becomes not OP.

For the CWG, it was capped with the amount of talisman the MC made. But by a hundred chapters, that shit is no longer an issue until the author wants it to be an issue. Like when he was fighting the vampire queens, for a long bloody while, there had been no shortage UNTIL the very last moment where he stated "down to my last three!" I was rolling my eyes.

For OP (pun not intended but carried forward), MC can use his bloodline to burrow underground with zero restrictions. Until the battefield is made of metal, not earth.
With air magic, you can simply fly without any restrictions by using a bloodline or talismans. If you don't cap air magic, it's as OP. You would probably say that others have flying swords\treasures, and flying isn't that OP. But as an author, you can simply take away the ability to fly from others(which is fair), and it becomes OP. How would you attack someone in the air who intentionally floats so that the sun is behind him and you can't even look at him? And even if you don't take that ability from others, it completely negates the ability to burrow underground. While you are underground and your opponent is up in the air, you can't attack him, and you can't see him, though it's useful for defense.

longer

Balls
Maybe I haven't read much, but whenever I see characters using water based powers, it's often just slapping enemies with big waves or using high pressured water cutters. When water magic is probably more effective when used to rupture blood vessels, make opponents slip, or possibly even purge lactic acids from the users body if the system permits it.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
How would you attack someone in the air who intentionally floats so that the sun is behind him and you can't even look at him?
Attack him by using his shadow as a gauge?

Lol assuming he is coming towards you of course.

Also, the ability to fly is cool af, but there is one thing for certain.

You still needs to land at one point in time. Or unless you can Laputa Sky Castle and have a floating island as a base.

SailusGebel

Attack him by using his shadow as a gauge?

Lol assuming he is coming towards you of course.

Also, the ability to fly is cool af, but there is one thing for certain.

You still needs to land at one point in time. Or unless you can Laputa Sky Castle and have a floating island as a base.
Why would you go so close to your opponent? And what's the matter with landing? Sure, land wherever you don't have an enemy nearby, and you're good. Anyway, this is dragging for too long. I'm not saying that Earth is worse than other elements. However, Earth isn't better either, nor is it op. Stronger\weaker comes solely from the author and how the author balances the magic.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Why would you go so close to your opponent? And what's the matter with landing? Sure, land wherever you don't have an enemy nearby, and you're good. Anyway, this is dragging for too long. I'm not saying that Earth is worse than other elements. However, Earth isn't better either, nor is it op. Stronger\weaker comes solely from the author and how the author balances the magic.
I totally agree.

How OP the power is is dependant on the power of the author, ie BS.

We can larp until the heat death but all in all, we all know who is the best.

Being the fans' favourite, until the author has no choice but to drag you behind the shed for plot progression. RIP Sasha.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
Earth magic is op because you can use it to create uranium ore and turn it into kuckledusters.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Earth magic is op because you can use it to create uranium ore and turn it into kuckledusters.
And die of radiation poisoning first.

Also, wtf is this type of earth magic? When does compressing earth until diamond/ uranium a part of earth magic???

Last edited:

SailusGebel

And die of radiation poisoning first.

Also, wtf is this type of earth magic? When does compressing earth until diamond/ uranium a part of earth magic???
It's Lloyd, don't look for logic in his messages, seek basedeness. :blob_shade: