Overused weapons types

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
It's always situational and depends on how the character is built. One of my chars mains a whip and whip sword (being able to wield many more other weapons due to his artifact having a formless blade), while the other currently doesn't have a dedicated weapon, but the story is close to him acquiring gear compatible with him (which is the "overused" sword, but with a few creative twists, making it way less than a sword)

It's always best to consider how the character is built. For my third story, I'm currently considering a fun version of a polearm (no spoilers) or arm blades.

While swords are common and overused, it doesn't mean it's bad and may sometimes have a reason behind it while of course it can also not.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Swords and sabers are kinda overused but also true since they are not only balanced but perfect in any situation.

Spears are good but aren't good at tight areas and they are disadvantage on close range.

Axe also counts as well since all it doed is slashing and spears are more on penetration.

In every situation, most people would actually use weapons that covers all areas and the only logical choice to pick are swords for not only slashing but also penetration, it also provides a decent guard and covers most in small areas. Knives also covers this but lacks with the range the swords had so people would really pick a sword in realistic battles and cultivation actually proves swords are good at any enviroments or conditions set in situations.

witch_sorrowful

Mmm, Monke.
Depends on the type of story of course. I'm assuming you mean an Isekai Fantasay, or Cultivation Fantasy.

It all depends on the setting: you expect medieval weapons in a medieval world, and etc. But are swords overused? Certainly in battlefields, but not in a personal capacity. Lots of people owned swords in medieval history, but even more would carry quarterstaff and simple walking sticks which could double up as a weapon.

Also, the weapon preference varies! So, you would very much expect Steppe people to ride horses and learn to shoot using the Parthian horseback method. In old Anglo-Saxon Britain, people were required to train and practise the longbow. But in Japan, especially after the Tokugawa Shogunate came about, there were more people roaming about carrying swords.

But swords were only used in personal combat and very rarely in infantry fighting - polearms were the superior weapon. Knights who rode horseback carried a long lance for charges, and a cavalry sword thereafter, and the were by far the largest users of swords in a battlefield.

So, what I mean to say is the choice of weapon is in setting - we must ground the use of weapons in the history of the world.

someguysomeone

One of the dime a dozen undead
Don't you think swords and sabers are way overused weapons in all novels which weapon would be the best alternative for the MC of a novel
bow and spear
it's practical.
Swords and sabers are kinda overused but also true since they are not only balanced but perfect in any situation.

Spears are good but aren't good at tight areas and they are disadvantage on close range.

Axe also counts as well since all it doed is slashing and spears are more on penetration.

In every situation, most people would actually use weapons that covers all areas and the only logical choice to pick are swords for not only slashing but also penetration, it also provides a decent guard and covers most in small areas. Knives also covers this but lacks with the range the swords had so people would really pick a sword in realistic battles and cultivation actually proves swords are good at any enviroments or conditions set in situations.
slashing doesn't do good damage. and spears have good range.
and they are disadvantage on close range. this just isn't true. the whole point of spear is to not let the enemy get in close range and stab him before he comes near you. You just backstep if someone comes in close range.

KyoruS

Swords are overused for a good reason. Other than the fact that swords are generally usable in all sorts of situations as mentioned by ArcadiaBlade. Swords are easy to carry and also a status weapon. Swords are generally used as a sidearm, and officers usually equipped with them.

someguysomeone

One of the dime a dozen undead
Swords are overused for a good reason. Other than the fact that swords are generally usable in all sorts of situations as mentioned by ArcadiaBlade. Swords are easy to carry and also a status weapon. Swords are generally used as a sidearm, and officers usually equipped with them.
status weapon is the main reason.

witch_sorrowful

Mmm, Monke.
If we are talking about a weapon that is usable in all sorts of situations, crossbows and knives are the most common weapon types. Simply because anyone could use them - including women and children, and it was used as a hunting device in the medieval time.

Swords in contrast required training as without it even an old man with a stick could beat you.

PhillisCreziles

﹤Once a Potato﹥
Don't you think swords and sabers are way overused weapons in all novels which weapon would be the best alternative for the MC of a novel
Main characters who carry battle axes.
We don't have a lot of those.
It would be kinda nice to see more variety of weapons on the cliche list

Last edited:

Vulture

In every situation, most people would actually use weapons that covers all areas and the only logical choice to pick are swords for not only slashing but also penetration, it also provides a decent guard and covers most in small areas. Knives also covers this but lacks with the range the swords had so people would really pick a sword in realistic battles and cultivation actually proves swords are good at any enviroments or conditions
i was thinking that with people having strong bodies as well as chi control the heavy weaponry might stand a chance and even simple metal balls could be deadly if controlled well i mean just like magneto they could control metal and make it a deadly weapon .

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Fists.

That is because my MC has Deadpool's regeneration/ Superman's invulnerability. And he sucks at using all types of weapons, especially swords.

And yes, most folks in that use swords even when dealing with monsters, though they have short spears equipped for extra reach.

The sensible ones use bows and arrows or guns, cuz range is king.

Which is why my MC cheats by going all Zeke and yeets rocks at them.

The reason we use swords, it is a long and sharp club.

The reason why we don't use axes often, too short.

Last edited:

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
i was thinking that with people having strong bodies as well as chi control the heavy weaponry might stand a chance and even simple metal balls could be deadly if controlled well i mean just like magneto they could control metal and make it a deadly weapon .
Its probably due to the history differences and the popularization of swords. In the past, swords are kinda staple to use due to the versability of it and easily mass produced, requiring metal and has many uses in a fight. Sure, there are all sorts of weapon could be used given the circumstances but it also applies to that situation which people usually pick the best and even the decent choice when it comes to survival in that place.

The balls you talk about are indeed true but you also have to point out that it isn't versaile as you might think. Like, persay you go into a battle at close range. You can see the disadvantage of it being lacking in complicated senarios that requires a sword to do better at its job. The balls have the penetration but it lacks the slashing to injure an opponent and it would easily be countered if an opponent is flexible or absorbant to a damage which would put him/her in an disadvantage. Kinda want to make it clear in case if you might forget.

I don't deny that your point is good but if I go into that would where I'm not so sure whom I'm facing, at least I would arm myself with at least a sword to be my basic weapon if I were given an option to choose.

Jemini

The main reason why swords are widely used (to the point of being called "over used") is because, historically, they were the most convenient weapon available due to the fact you could sheath it and put it on your hip. It was convenient to carry around on your person.

Almost any other weapon imaginable is actually better than a sword in every aspect related to effectiveness as a weapon. However, they do not carry the convenient carrying option. As such, it was common practice for everyone who could afford a sword to be armed with one, and even if they had a better weapon like a spear or a mace they would still also have a sword as their back-up weapon.

So, it is actually historically accurate for your protagonist to be armed with a sword. It would just be better if you kept the sword in perspective and maybe have them treat it as a back-up weapon or a side-arm for protection in town rather than using it as the main-line weapon even in battlefield conditions.

All things considered, the spear or one of it's later permutations, halberd, war axe, and war hammer, would be far better main weapons for a character to wield.

LordAstrea

Catgirl Addict
I like halberds and glaives. Double-edged axes have been fun to write as well. Warhammers are cool.
Also, the quill is mightier than the sword.