Parasitic Personality in MC's head.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I hate it when I had an idea but ended up someone more capable than me does a work way better than I. The work I am talking about is Jujutsu Kaisen, initially when I first read the premise, I felt like dumping my 18 chapters and skeletal arcs into the dustbin solely because I ended up watching and really liking on how the interactions between the boy and his inner demon. I am not saying the whole premise is original, cough Cultivation 40K, Fang King in Air Gear. But it is cool for me as both the characters are deadset against one another and the enmity is wellplanned.

So just to check, is there any other works that featured an MC or maybe even an important side character with a split personality/ alter ego/ voice in the head that constantly tries to wrestle control and bring harm to the original?

bigbear51

No way, I literally just started watching that show a couple days ago. Unfortunately I don't have any ideas/suggestions, but I'd also love to hear if anyone has anything.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I hate it when I had an idea but ended up someone more capable than me does a work way better than I. The work I am talking about is Jujutsu Kaisen, initially when I first read the premise, I felt like dumping my 18 chapters and skeletal arcs into the dustbin solely because I ended up watching and really liking on how the interactions between the boy and his inner demon. I am not saying the whole premise is original, cough Cultivation 40K, Fang King in Air Gear. But it is cool for me as both the characters are deadset against one another and the enmity is wellplanned.

So just to check, is there any other works that featured an MC or maybe even an important side character with a split personality/ alter ego/ voice in the head that constantly tries to wrestle control and bring harm to the original?
it's call split personality disorder and there's a couple of media out there that displays it. on the eastern side you have parasyte, which is pretty good. on the eastern side, you have the movie literally called SPLIT. i like the former, solely because there's something about hollywood that makes my pp hard.

no, not the pedophiles, just the pure cool factor. i can still admit it's cool while recognizing the problems in it.

Moe1998

Rand Al'Thor from The Wheel of Time is the best example of split personality disorder that comes to mind.

You got two people inside the same body. One of them is completely insane while the other is slowly falling into insanity. Which is very bad as both of them have enough power to "crack the world like an eggshell."

The only problem here is that it is a 14-book story and his split personality starts showing around book 5 or 6 and lasts for around 5 more books so I'm not sure you'd want to read this massive story just for the split personality part. Although I would highly recommend it anyway.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
it's call split personality disorder and there's a couple of media out there that displays it. on the eastern side you have parasyte, which is pretty good. on the eastern side, you have the movie literally called SPLIT. i like the former, solely because there's something about hollywood that makes my pp hard.

no, not the pedophiles, just the pure cool factor. i can still admit it's cool while recognizing the problems in it.
You have a typo, but yeah, Glass will always be a pain to me. I've watched Unbreakable before Split and never thought of them as connected.
Rand Al'Thor from The Wheel of Time is the best example of split personality disorder that comes to mind.

You got two people inside the same body. One of them is completely insane while the other is slowly falling into insanity. Which is very bad as both of them have enough power to "crack the world like an eggshell."

The only problem here is that it is a 14-book story and his split personality starts showing around book 5 or 6 and lasts for around 5 more books so I'm not sure you'd want to read this massive story just for the split personality part. Although I would highly recommend it anyway.
You are right.
The closest one I can give is a game. Batman: Arkham Knight.
The Joker Toxin. I love Mark Hamill.
Um, how about soul eater, the male lead was infected by black blood and he became crazy although I prefer the manga than the anime.
First of all, I would like to thank all of your recommendations. I will be frank that I will probably not read or watch them. What I am specifically looking for is the internal wrestle of control that might lead to external damages and that both parties are equally hateful to one another. While the split personalities are nice, they don't have the bite that I want, namely each personality is trying to be alpha and devour the other.

Ps. Jujutsu gave me that scratch by having MC requiring the curse king's power, similar to how my MC will play out.

Leti

Yugioh with Yami Bakura, Yami Marik, and Nightshroud. And the MC of ARC-V

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Yugioh with Yami Bakura, Yami Marik, and Nightshroud. And the MC of ARC-V
...I am a season one purist... to me Yami Yugi is the first and last Duel King... so pardon my ignorance from subsequent darkness.

Damn I missed out on Marik and Bakura, namely because I never once registered them as existing and always think that their dark form is their true personality. And just like defeat means friendship and heel-face turn, they become childfriendly after Yami Yugi crush them.

TroubleFait

In the series Heroes one of the characters have a crazy split personality, and even if there isn't an explicit struggle between the two, I recommend it.
The original personality at first didn't understand what was happening, as she would blackout at moments and wake up to a scene of carnage.
It was really stressful as the split personality could resurface at any moment and take control of the body, taunting the original and ruining her life.

Reisinling

Supposedly cyberpunk 2077 if you are into vidyagamez
If not... hmm I recognize the trope enough to know I read multiple stories with it, but can't remember a single one now that you ask. Stupid memory. Most likely damaged by the stupid vidyagamez.

Malonymous

If you like western TV, Mr. Robot has an example of this. It takes a while to develop there with the most intense internal struggle scenes in seasons 2 and 3 IIRC, but there are some pretty vicious scenes where the MC gets physically injured in the struggle with his other personality.

TroubleFait

There was a crazy film with split personality, but I can't talk about it unfortunately, as it would be spoilers.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Obviously not the one I was thinking of.
Well it's batshit insane, directed by M Night Shamaylan (so that means there's a twist), and talking about it would literally be spoilers galore, so I just assumed that, since there's not many movies out there with split personality as a theme

TroubleFait

Well it's batshit insane, directed by M Night Shamaylan (so that means there's a twist), and talking about it would literally be spoilers galore, so I just assumed that, since there's not many movies out there with split personality as a theme
The reason I can't talk about it is, just mentioning the movie would spoil it. :s_tongue: