People that only read 1 chapter shouldn't be able to rate

Reyezwriting

Just like in Royalroad.com, only those who had read at least 3 or 5 chapters should be able to leave a rating.
So I tested this on Lewd Poems by K5rakitan, and I was able to 1 star it without having read a single chapter.
Doesn't that sound like bad design?

Mysticant

Resident Ant
In truth, the best practice is to not rate until you have reached the first climax. There is no basis of judgment to rate anything based on early settings since most stories run at different paces. In the end, it all depends on the maturity of the readers. Full story/arc reviews would be what I would consider a more accurate reflection.

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
In truth, the best practice is to not rate until you have reached the first climax. There is no basis of judgment to rate anything based on early settings since most stories run at different paces. In the end, it all depends on the maturity of the readers. Full story/arc reviews would be what I would consider a more accurate reflection.
Unless you're saying we need a way to distinguish different volumes within the same story, and you can only rate a volume once you've given a valid read to every chapter in it, then this isn't the point of the post. That would be cool though.

This post is about getting 1 stars from people who've never read your story. Technically it also stops people from 5 starring your story as a show of camaraderie, but small sacrifices. Ah but
But people would be able to skip through the said 3-5 chapters and still rate however they like.
This is the problem. All someone has to do to 1 star you is sit on the first chapter for 30 seconds. Or the first 5 chapters. All it does is stop lazy trolls. Though that's not exactly a bad thing.

SailusGebel

Unless you're saying we need a way to distinguish different volumes within the same story, and you can only rate a volume once you've given a valid read to every chapter in it, then this isn't the point of the post. That would be cool though.

This post is about getting 1 stars from people who've never read your story. Technically it also stops people from 5 starring your story as a show of camaraderie, but small sacrifices. Ah but

This is the problem. All someone has to do to 1 star you is sit on the first chapter for 30 seconds. Or the first 5 chapters. All it does is stop lazy trolls. Though that's not exactly a bad thing.
I'm already waiting for a certain someone to come here and start laughing at people who talk about 1-star ratings. :blob_popcorn:

Trolls won't be stopped by the 30-second barrier. I may be wrong here, but if someone has the time to rate every story 1-star instead of doing something else, I think this person would still do the same even with some sort of a barrier. It's how this person gets enjoyment. If it's mild obstruction, a troll won't be deterred. If it's something more serious, it will obstruct normal people. It's really hard to balance this.

D

Deleted member 45782

If a story is only a chapter long because its a short story/poem, then it would also stop people from rating that story if its technically only one chapter. However, you should be free to rate it on how the story is because that is your review/rating of how the story is like. (Disregarding the trolls people always bring up.)

If it stops you from rating a 1*, that also means it stops people from rating it a 5*. You can't have it one way, its a two way street.

Piisfun

Playful Spacetime Dragon
Just like in Royalroad.com, only those who had read at least 3 or 5 chapters should be able to leave a rating.
So I tested this on Lewd Poems by K5rakitan, and I was able to 1 star it without having read a single chapter.
Doesn't that sound like bad design?
There are a small number of legitimate reasons to give a story a 1-star rating before even finishing the first chapter.

The biggest one is the story being entirely unreadable.

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
There are a small number of legitimate reasons to give a story a 1-star rating before even finishing the first chapter.

The biggest one is the story being entirely unreadable.
A valid read is a mechanic the site already uses. In order to trigger, you have to be on the chapter for more than 30 seconds. Presumably it would take you that long to load the page and start looking through it to see if it was actually unreadable, or if the author just opened with gobbledy-gook. If you were desperate to rate it 1star for a 'valid' reason, it wouldn't be too much trouble to wait for it. On the other hand, it means you actually have to at least open the first chapter if you want to one star it.

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
excuse me, my fiction on royal road got one rating after chapter one, and another rating after chapter 2

bigbear51

I'm two weeks late, but here's my comment of me laughing at people talking about 1-star reviews :LOL:

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
I'm two weeks late, but here's my comment of me laughing at people talking about 1-star reviews :LOL:
How many 1 stars have you gotten since making that comment? (I didn't do it, just seems like the natural response.)

bigbear51

How many 1 stars have you gotten since making that comment? (I didn't do it, just seems like the natural response.)
It hasn't been that long since I made that comment, so none that I'm aware of. Honestly, I doubt that many people care about my rants on their weak will to handling 1 stars to bother dropping them on me.

Shoemilk

5jz6h2.jpg

LilTV1155

@AinsleyMarrow , Yeah, I get you. I have seen a comic and 5 stars and only 14 translated chapters. Yah. I get it if the reviewers read it up all the way or to 300+ chapters something and add a bit of spoiler in reviews.