Pettiest Reason to Dislike a Character?

Oreo

Sometimes I cannot bring myself to like a main character, even if I like the story. Sometimes it's for a valid reason, sometimes I just think they're nasty. Anyone else ever have a really stupid, petty reason to dislike a character?

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
recently read a story where MC was on cleaning duty and some undercover rom-com goddess who was in love with him got embarrassed over some interaction, so she took out the trash and ran off

in comes his crush, who lightly berates him. All like, "how could you let a girl take out the trash?"
and he tries to explain
"No excuses!" said the insufferable little twat

.....like wtf? it was the girl's duty too. Does it matter who took it out? Shut up, you nasty greasy bitch. You look like you drink white gatorade and smell like nickels. Fuck you.

LABmaiL

Friend of All Hats :)
My pettiest reason is ironically only applicable when I previously really liked said character. Nothing annoys me more than when a well written, intelligent character will suddenly decide to tie themself to another character. If it serves the plot or if the other character is fun, then it's fine. But some authors seem to really like attaching their main characters to some child character for no reason. Nothing is more annoying then having the rhythm of the story be interrupted because the author decided this character just needs some completely useless, often unlikable gimmick of a character. My problem is that I dislike even well written child characters unless they are masterfully done. This means that just having an important child character can be enough for me to drop a story. It's unreasonable, but I'm just weird that way.

Also, having a character that is established to be extremely smart or impressive at something be one-upped by some other character can be really annoying if set up wrong. So many stories have this trope of the MC being well established as an elite at something but having another character hate them. This other character will somehow surpass the level of the MC in like a third of the time due to pure hatred. It invalidates the MC's struggles and serves as a very cop out story beat.

Lastly, when the main character is unreasonably obsessed with another character. It doesn't even have to be a romantic relationship. So many stories will have the MC spend like a year or two with a specific character and then have the MC and character go separate ways. The MC will then proceed to spend years away from the latter, often with other companions (that are usually more likable). Despite the in-universe time spent with their new companions being far greater than the time spent with the former, the MC will constantly think about their old companion and often will have their goals be completely tied to their old companion.

After writing this, I find that most of my issues with MCs have to do with how they interact with their companions. I guess I'm happy if the main characters and companions are written well.

Last edited:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I dislike it when they have too much cognitive dissonance. Be honest with yourself!

sam9501

There are very few times I drop a novel because of a character. Usually I drop it because of bad grammar or weird story flow.

I looked through the ScribbleHub stories that I ended up dropping and I guess what annoys me is when a character is too impassive about things one should be angry with or at least should be reprimanded for.

For instance; Another character does something the MC doesn't like, and when they tell them to stop, they do it again. Then the MC is all like, “Oh well”. Or when the MC is completely nonchalant about an enemy even though they should be tense and/or ready to take them on. Or when the MC’s arm gets torn off and they are like “Hmm, it seems my arm just got torn off.” At least recognize you are at a disadvantage now because of your lose of an arm!

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
If they are so much of a jerk.
thats not petty, its common sense...some jerks are likable, but being a cunt unreasonably is toxic nonsense.
My pettiest reason is ironically only applicable when I previously really liked said character. Nothing annoys me more than when a well written, intelligent character will suddenly decide to tie themself to another character. If it serves the plot or if the other character is fun, then it's fine. But some authors seem to really like attaching their main characters to some child character for no reason. Nothing is more annoying then having the rhythm of the story be interrupted because the author decided this character just needs some completely useless, often unlikable gimmick of a character. My problem is that I dislike even well written child characters unless they are masterfully done. This means that just having an important child character can be enough for me to drop a story. It's unreasonable, but I'm just weird that way.
i only hate if tey arent cute lolies, or if said loli is a real bitch.
Also, having a character that is established to be extremely smart or impressive at something be one-upped by some other character can be really annoying if set up wrong. So many stories have this trope of the MC being well established as an elite at something but having another character hate them. This other character will somehow surpass the level of the MC in like a third of the time due to pure hatred. It invalidates the MC's struggles and serves as a very cop out story beat
no matter how good you are at something, theres always an Asian better than you. Its just the name of the game, son
Lastly, when the main character is unreasonably obsessed with another character. It doesn't even have to be a romantic relationship. So many stories will have the MC spend like a year or two with a specific character and then have the MC and character go separate ways. The MC will then proceed to spend years away from the latter, often with other companions (that are usually more likable). Despite the in-universe time spent with their new companions being far greater than the time spent with the former, the MC will constantly think about their old companion and often will have their goals be completely tied to their old companion.

After writing this, I find that most of my issues with MCs have to do with how they interact with their companions. I guess I'm happy if the main characters and companions are written well.
all these are fairly good reasons tho. I dont find them "petty"

I once had the last fruit cup from a convenience store taken away by a classmate and from then on hated her fucking guts all through highschool

now THATS petty.

Maze_Runner

□■ - I like running in mazes - ■□
Sometimes I cannot bring myself to like a main character, even if I like the story. Sometimes it's for a valid reason, sometimes I just think they're nasty. Anyone else ever have a really stupid, petty reason to dislike a character?
Oh like the fact that they were a blonde and liked the worst person ever? Or the fact that they are complete snobs or maybe just maybe the fact that they forget to do something just once

Kenjona

recently read a story where MC was on cleaning duty and some undercover rom-com goddess who was in love with him got embarrassed over some interaction, so she took out the trash and ran off

in comes his crush, who lightly berates him. All like, "how could you let a girl take out the trash?"
and he tries to explain
"No excuses!" said the insufferable little twat

.....like wtf? it was the girl's duty too. Does it matter who took it out? Shut up, you nasty greasy bitch. You look like you drink white gatorade and smell like nickels. Fuck you.
I am with you on that. Though "To Be Fair"; when I was a boy and if a girl took out the trash or did any heavy lifting and I did not. Some one might have said "How could you let a girl take out the trash?!"

I have never dropped a story for petty reason. If its a story I am reading for free I will drop it for any damn reason I want and not think I am being petty. I just drop the story as it does not interest me, nothing petty about it; if it does not click with me no matter the reason it does not click.

Last edited:

Esper

They didn't use magic very logically... I didn't drop it at first, but the more powers they got the more I was like; "HOW ARE YOU NOT A GOD AT THIS POINT? COMBINE x MAGIC AND x MAGIC AND YOU CAN KILL KINGS!"

It is petty in my eyes as: A. not everyone can think like I do, and not everyone looks for this stuff like I do. B. It is a fun story that wasn't meant to be as heavy in the combat as my brain is often thinking.

BackWoodsJ_ACK

Birbs, dog, and burbers
thats not petty, its common sense...some jerks are likable, but being a cunt unreasonably is toxic nonsense.

i only hate if tey arent cute lolies, or if said loli is a real bitch.

no matter how good you are at something, theres always an Asian better than you. Its just the name of the game, son

all these are fairly good reasons tho. I dont find them "petty"

I once had the last fruit cup from a convenience store taken away by a classmate and from then on hated her fucking guts all through highschool

now THATS petty.
I don’t consider that petty, that’s getting justice served 😤